O-line changes coming....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not sure I buy into these "changes". It seems we only have 6 OL's they are willing to play in meaningful downs: Ivey, Sharpe, Dillard, Jordon, Taylor, and Johnson. I'd like to see Ivey moved outside....and agree w/ Zach A that he's not working at OG.

For those down on Dillard, see the highlighted section (grading out as our best OL by Pro Football Focus).

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/much-needed-ol-changes-could-be-coming-for-gators

Much-needed OL changes could be coming for Gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — We’re almost halfway through the season and there’s been one constant for No. 18 Florida — inconsistent offensive line play.

The expectation this year was for the position to be improved and a potential team strength. That hasn’t happened.

The Gators have repeatedly struggled up front and drew criticism from Florida coach Jim McElwain on Saturday.

“We’ve got to play with better pad level and we’ve got to get off the ball with a sense of urgency and quit waiting for somebody else to hit you in the mouth,” McElwain said. “It’s that simple. I’m sick of seeing it.”

One bright spot is center Cam Dillard. According to analysis from Pro Football Focus, he’s allowed just three QB pressures in 179 pass blocking snaps this season and graded out higher than any Florida offensive player during the past two weeks.

True freshman Jawaan Taylor has also quickly emerged as one of Florida’s best lineman and is starting at right tackle. He took the job from Fred Johnson, who has since moved to right guard and is playing well at that spot.

But Dillard knows the unit as a whole isn’t getting the job done.

“I think we definitely can improve and I think we need to continue to do that,” Dillard said. “(McElwain) just wants to see us be great and he knows how good we can be.

“The team goes as we go, so we take that on us. That’s part of the job at the University of Florida. You come here and you’re supposed to take care of your job.”

The left side has been the weak link on the offensive line. The Martez Ivey experiment is not working out at guard and David Sharpe was beaten badly against Tennessee and Vanderbilt. A lineup change could be coming this week out of necessity.

“Sharpe, he’s got a shoulder (injury),” McElwain said Monday. “We’ll see what we can get out of him. If not, we can move Tez out there. We’ve got Tyler Jordan back obviously. So I was thinking we can move him over there (to left guard) and keep Fred at right. We’ve got some options there and we’ll see what happens as the week goes on.”

This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Gators. Jordan is their most versatile lineman and would have no trouble switching sides. But the prospect of Ivey playing left tackle is intriguing.

He was a 5-star recruit and the nation’s No. 2 overall player in 2015 because of his ability as an offensive tackle in high school. That is Ivey’s natural position, and his skill set has not translated to guard.

A move back to his old spot could not only give him new life and a better fit, but it might light a fire under Sharpe to step up his game if Ivey excels. McElwain isn’t sure how it will shake out, but he called Ivey the obvious answer at left tackle.

“Whoever does go is going to go,” McElwain said. “They’re going to do everything they can to help the Gators take the pressure off and just go play, just have a good time.”

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Anybody who was blind in one eye and could not see out of the other could see last year that Ivey was awful at LG. But yet everyone said it was b/c he was young and new at the position. But yet he has been awful from Day 1 this year, but only a few of us could see it. Last year he should have been playing RT, yet they never put him there so we had to struggle at that position all year. Anyone who has stood remotely close to him can see he has the body of a tackle and most think his agility will make him a good tackle. He is not a drive blocker thus not made to be a good guard. If Sharpe gets healthy I would move Ivey to RT and move Taylor and Jordan (our most consistent guy IMO) to guard and Dillard at center. If I never see Fred Johnson again on the O-line it will be too soon.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I remember in 1987 there was lots of criticism of the OL blocking in the first couple of games. UF just did not seem to be very good at running the ball. Then a true Frosh who had looked good on his carries got the start and ran for 200+ yards against UAL. His name of course was Emmitt Smith. Now it is rare to get an Emmitt Smith, but sometimes what appears to be poor OL play is partly at least poor skill position play. I have similarly seen pass blocking loook much better when a good QB is taking the snaps.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I remember in 1987 there was lots of criticism of the OL blocking in the first couple of games. UF just did not seem to be very good at running the ball. Then a true Frosh who had looked good on his carries got the start and ran for 200+ yards against UAL. His name of course was Emmitt Smith. Now it is rare to get an Emmitt Smith, but sometimes what appears to be poor OL play is partly at least poor skill position play. I have similarly seen pass blocking loook much better when a good QB is taking the snaps.

If only we had a number 22 who'd shown flashes of greatness...

g5Yfnc

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Anybody who was blind in one eye and could not see out of the other could see last year that Ivey was awful at LG. But yet everyone said it was b/c he was young and new at the position. But yet he has been awful from Day 1 this year, but only a few of us could see it. Last year he should have been playing RT, yet they never put him there so we had to struggle at that position all year. Anyone who has stood remotely close to him can see he has the body of a tackle and most think his agility will make him a good tackle. He is not a drive blocker thus not made to be a good guard. If Sharpe gets healthy I would move Ivey to RT and move Taylor and Jordan (our most consistent guy IMO) to guard and Dillard at center. If I never see Fred Johnson again on the O-line it will be too soon.
This x 1000....Taylor is holding his own at RT but should be playing guard where his brute strength would pay the most dividends, he's a bull....Ivey is athletic and kinda lean build....Tackle is where he should have ben playing from day 1 and nobody will convince me he wouldn't have performed better there last year than Halter Top...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I mentioned early that Dillard has improved. Good to see it. I bagged in him more than anyone last year. Im not sure QB pressures is the correct gauge but he has definitely improved drastically.

Im not convinced Sharpe is injured. I suspect this is just a way to allow him to save some face while motivating him regardless. Most his mistakes are head mistakes not strength issues.

Ivey was pretty terrible at pass pro last year. He had no business being on the field much less as a tackle. Of course, Halter wasnt good either. Its what you get when the previous regime leaves you with no upperclassman OL. Kids just arent really ready to play bigboy OL in the SEC for their first two-three years.

Not sure what comes next. We will see.

A good rb or qb can make a line look better no doubt bc the defense is forced to be less aggressive and worry more about being gap sound and making perfect tackles.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Ivey will work out at Tackle down the road. Johnson is lost at Guard but he was also too slow with his feet at Tackle to deal with the speed rushers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I dont know. We have a bunch of guys who just arent ready yet. Maybe in a year or two they will be ready, but we dont have the luxury to wait and the guys behind them look even worse.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I mentioned early that Dillard has improved. Good to see it. I bagged in him more than anyone last year. Im not sure QB pressures is the correct gauge but he has definitely improved drastically.

Im not convinced Sharpe is injured. I suspect this is just a way to allow him to save some face while motivating him regardless.

Ivey was pretty terrible at pass pro last year. He had no business being on the field much less as a tackle. Of course, Halter wasnt good either.

Not sure what comes next. We will see.

A good rb or qb can make a line look better no doubt bc the defense is forced to be less aggressive and worry more about being gap sound and making perfect tackles.
You were the first person I thought of when I read that about Dillard :lol:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw a really cool ESPN special on Dillard, I think it was the day of thr Tenn game. I didn't realize he was married, his wife had a miscarriage, and then they adopted a baby of an unwed teen mother. Holy geeze... That dude had to grow up fast. Seems like a really solid guy...and it was funny watching this giant OL changing diapers for that tiny infant. I'm really pulling for him now after learning all that.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I saw a really cool ESPN special on Dillard, I think it was the day of thr Tenn game. I didn't realize he was married, his wife had a miscarriage, and then they adopted a baby of an unwed teen mother. Holy geeze... That dude had to grow up fast. Seems like a really solid guy...and it was funny watching this giant OL changing diapers for that tiny infant. I'm really pulling for him now after learning all that.
I didn't catch that. Wow, that is pretty crazy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
http://gatorchatter.com/threads/bits-pieces-florida-vs-north-texas.11068/page-2#post-377630

Law told Cover:

It was hit or miss. Desir and Big Fred both played at RG. Fred looked better on running plas, even pulled a few times, and Desir looked better in pass pro IMO. Dillard looked good, not overpowering but solid. JT did well in pass pro but we arent doing well running behind him. He is getting beat setting the edge.

EDIT: that Fred looked better on running plays is no longer my current assessment. He seems lost right now and is just too slow on the pulling guard plays. Sometimes feet problem are really head problems.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
All tackles get beat sometimes and that is where a heady QB helps out. He's either got to step into the pocket or check down to avoid the hit/sack. If he doesn't it disrupts the timing on the pass route. The other solution is being able to run the ball at both sides between the tackle and guard. Sharpe actually does decent at pass blocking but can't keep the offense on schedule with his piss poor run blocking meaning that as we get deeper into the downs at a longer yardage needed for first he makes an easy target for speed rushers because even the best tackles only go about 50 percent against good speed rushers.....Plain and simple, get back to good run blocking technique and you won't have to worry as much about this problem. Ivey is a tackle plain and simple. Put him on the right side next to Jordan or Taylor and I'll bet within a couple of games our entire line would function at a much higher level.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All tackles get beat sometimes and that is where a heady QB helps out. He's either got to step into the pocket or check down to avoid the hit/sack. If he doesn't it disrupts the timing on the pass route. The other solution is being able to run the ball at both sides between the tackle and guard. Sharpe actually does decent at pass blocking but can't keep the offense on schedule with his piss poor run blocking meaning that as we get deeper into the downs at a longer yardage needed for first he makes an easy target for speed rushers because even the best tackles only go about 50 percent against good speed rushers.....Plain and simple, get back to good run blocking technique and you won't have to worry as much about this problem. Ivey is a tackle plain and simple. Put him on the right side next to Jordan or Taylor and I'll bet within a couple of games our entire line would function at a much higher level.

The problem our tackles are getting beat on more than just sometimes... we have been consistently beaten all season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The problem our tackles are getting beat on more than just sometimes... we have been consistently beaten all season.

True. I know we don't have any "true" FB's on the roster (all walk-ons)...but it seems adding a FB might help. Sure, you lose a WR or TE in certain packages but we need that extra blocker. Meyer did it in 2005 when our offense completely sh*t the bed against LSU causing him to cry at the post game press conference. Also, we could change our splits up a little bit. It just seems there are things we could do to make small improvements and help out as this line tries to get better.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
True. I know we don't have any "true" FB's on the roster (all walk-ons)...but it seems adding a FB might help. Sure, you lose a WR or TE in certain packages but we need that extra blocker. Meyer did it in 2005 when our offense completely sh*t the bed against LSU causing him to cry at the post game press conference. Also, we could change our splits up a little bit. It just seems there are things we could do to make small improvements and help out as this line tries to get better.

Wait. Are you suggesting changes? From the coaching staff? May I remind you what program we're talking about here?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wait. Are you suggesting changes? From the coaching staff? May I remind you what program we're talking about here?

Yeah, I know....I'm going to slam my head into the wall in my office now. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator