O-Line Update

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's great they look the part. Now...if the coaches can get them to act the part, we'll be in business.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just making weight is half the battle. DJ was 270 lbs until his Junior year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Is this a Mod only thread? If so feel free to send this reply to the dungeon LOL.

Sounds like we will actually have a functioning O-line. Don't tell Law, he's on pins and needles waiting for the first O-lineman injury report, after-which he'll breathe a little easier.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n257440 said:
It's great they look the part. Now...if the coaches can get them to act the part, we'll be in business.

I want o-linemen who are really big and ugly. I mean busted nose, scarred up, disturbingly hairy ugly. I think it leaves them pissed at the world and wanting to take out their aggressions on the opposing linemen.

:fatnanner:

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Despite being young we have some big physical lineman it appears. If they can be serviceable this year we may have decent offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n257449 said:
Is this a Mod only thread? If so feel free to send this reply to the dungeon LOL.

Sounds like we will actually have a functioning O-line. Don't tell Law, he's on pins and needles waiting for the first O-lineman injury report, after-which he'll breathe a little easier.
It's about time we have a little good luck, isn't it? Surely Chimp didn't burn it all up in 2012.

I know you're being sarcastic (or perhaps weren't around) but I was more than happy with our OL recruiting. Hell, OL recruiting was really the ONLY thing that mattered in the last class. (I'm also ecstatic about getting the 1AA All American transfer.)

They look the part now because for the most part they looked the part when we recruited them. Scouting services get all gaga and start handing out five stars when they find an OL who can dunk a basketball. However, for the most part those kids struggle in college. I think there's a higher fail rate for 5 star linemen than 5 star smurf receiver-hybrid-next-Percies.

Bama has made a living with 3 star OL. If we continue as we are, we can too. I'm very optimistic about the future of this OL, but it's tough rowing with freshmen in the SEC no matter how strong the lads are.

The article mentions Thurman. It's hard to overstate how important it is for us that he returns, especially after the early rumors. He surprised me with how solid he was last year. He will anchor the OL I believe.

It's also nice that they mention Jake McGee. They failed to mention that he got to return over Concrete's objection for his lack of previous medical redshirt. I hope Concrete doesn't have an appeal pending.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n257551 said:
Surely Chimp didn't burn it all up in 2012 .

See, this is where you're mistaken about the whole situation. Mushswishyhips WAS the bad luck cloud around our team. He is gone now, so the bad luck cloud left with him. Now we have a new HC that actually has HC experience (yes I know it's not enough to satisfy you, but it's more than Mushybrain had) and he is going to show us what it's like to see a Football team that is no longer afraid of making the next mistake and drawing the bulging vein, red faced, cross eyed stare of death from the last guy. Everything is going to be MUCH better now.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n257453 said:
I want o-linemen who are really big and ugly. I mean busted nose, scarred up, disturbingly hairy ugly. I think it leaves them pissed at the world and wanting to take out their aggressions on the opposing linemen.

Well size is great but you have to be able to utilize that size in the blocking scheme. Looking nasty is not essential.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n257442 said:
Just making weight is half the battle. DJ was 270 lbs until AFTER his Junior year.
FIFY.

I find it odd that he didn't make weight until after the season and before the NFL combines. I guess he was insulted and motivated by the "back to school" recommendation. Too bad he wasn't insulted by his piss poor play the prior three years, not that anyone on the coaching staff mentioned it to him I would bet.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
divits;n257453 said:

Do you remember the 1960s and the UF coach who called specifically for "big uglies" adding that they should stink as well?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;257602 said:
FIFY.

I find it odd that he didn't make weight until after the season and before the NFL combines. I guess he was insulted and motivated by the "back to school" recommendation. Too bad he wasn't insulted by his piss poor play the prior three years, not that anyone on the coaching staff mentioned it to him I would bet.

There wasn't a position other than DB that played worth a crap. And half the time even they were out of position.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How the Oline goes, goes our season. With an average offense we will be in every game. Just need to hope we have zero injuries and when they get burned that the QB doesn't take too hard a hit.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
It's great to have player's who actually have the size to play in the SEC (from day one) for once. I will take that vs what we've had anyday.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, lining up against directional MAC schools and having OUR team be the obviously smaller one should be in the rear view mirror.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ancient Reptile;n257610 said:
Do you remember the 1960s and the UF coach who called specifically for "big uglies" adding that they should stink as well?

Ray Graves like to call em big uglies, prolly Gene Ellenson too.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n257453 said:
who are really big and ugly. I mean busted nose, scarred up, disturbingly hairy ugly. I think it leaves them pissed at the world and wanting to take out their aggressions on the opposing linemen.

Jabber isn't eligible.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The O line still scares me a lot. A few injuries and we are probably toast there.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looks from the reports size will not be the issue. Just need them coached up and the freshmen adjusted to the speed of the game. Keeping my fingers crossed on the injuries. We need these guys to stay healthy.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody knows we need to stay healthy. I'm just glad for the progress that was made compared to how it was. A few breaks, which we're due, and things could start looking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.