Oceangate sub implodes on way to Titanic

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Everything you've ever about the Titanic is wrong.

I used to listen to this song on KAAY out of Little Rock, AR back in the 70's on an underground radio show they ran from 11pm till 2am every night.Clear channel 50KW station could be heard across the entire US at night....and I was in Pensacola listening easily. The 11-2 show was called Beaker Street. They played the stuff you didn't hear anywhere else, even though clear sounding music was really starting to bust out on FM instead of AM. This song was one of THE most requested song by far....mostly because of the story, the length, and the entire uniqueness. If you were in the right 'mood':naughty: this song seemed to run for a full hour. And it sounded slow where you could keep up with what he was saying. Or so I am told.

Surprised anyone here would post this or much less even know of it. :fistbump:

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Rather profound after reading the CEO's reasoning...."because the 50 yr old white guys aren't inspirational".......yeah, but they ain't dead in a half-arse built submarine either. And odds are the CEO....IS or soon will be---dead.
Yay for woke.
About those 50 something y.o. white guys: OceanGate began development of Titan (tentatively named "Cyclops 2") in 2013 when Stockton Rush was 51 y.o. It was given the name "Titan" and testing started in 2018 (same white guy 56 y.o.). Testing was completed in 2020 (white guy 58 y.o.).

Maybe his clients should have taken his comment more seriously?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
About those 50 something y.o. white guys: OceanGate began development of Titan (tentatively named "Cyclops 2") in 2013 when Stockton Rush was 51 y.o. It was given the name "Titan" and testing started in 2018 (same white guy 56 y.o.). Testing was completed in 2020 (white guy 58 y.o.).

Maybe his clients should have taken his comment more seriously?
I have noticed over the last 20 or so years that even when "made in America" is on the label sh!t just isn't the same as when a bunch of 50 year old white guys were making it.....

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I have noticed over the last 20 or so years that even when "made in America" is on the label sh!t just isn't the same as when a bunch of 50 year old white guys were making it.....
Those billionaires who signed on to tour the Titanic on Mr. Rush's submersible should have done their due diligence on OceanGate. Apparently they did not or thought any possible reward was worth the risk. That's the funny thing about risk.

What a horrible way to die, no doubt, but this Titan thing was Stockton Rush's ego project.

When NASA landed men on the moon, I don't remember a push for "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" or any virtue signaling.
1687388058775.png

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Those billionaires who signed on to tour the Titanic on Mr. Rush's submersible should have done their due diligence on OceanGate. Apparently they did not or thought any possible reward was worth the risk. That's the funny thing about risk.

What a horrible way to die, no doubt, but this Titan thing was Stockton Rush's ego project.

When NASA landed men on the moon, I don't remember a push for "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" or any virtue signaling.
View attachment 58844
Well, it will be there when we go back to the moon, assuming we ever get there. That's just how the world is now.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Well, it will be there when we go back to the moon, assuming we ever get there. That's just how the world is now.
Part of the world, no doubt. Someone will get there, but the lessons of the long history of conquest says that weakness will be overtaken by strength, no matter how brutal or right or wrong it seems to us now.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's because NASA was "whites only" back then. America's love affair with racism was in full swing.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I used to listen to this song on KAAY out of Little Rock, AR back in the 70's on an underground radio show they ran from 11pm till 2am every night.Clear channel 50KW station could be heard across the entire US at night....and I was in Pensacola listening easily. The 11-2 show was called Beaker Street. They played the stuff you didn't hear anywhere else, even though clear sounding music was really starting to bust out on FM instead of AM. This song was one of THE most requested song by far....mostly because of the story, the length, and the entire uniqueness. If you were in the right 'mood':naughty: this song seemed to run for a full hour. And it sounded slow where you could keep up with what he was saying. Or so I am told.

Surprised anyone here would post this or much less even know of it. :fistbump:
WJR (760 AM) out of Detroit was/is like that... 50kw unlimited. As a kid, on a clear night, we could pick it up clearly off a bounce in Northern Ontario, and as a student at UF, we could pick it up sometimes driving on I-75 even in southern Georgia.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
That's because NASA was "whites only" back then. America's love affair with racism was in full swing.

I think at the 2:41 mark it was Gus Grissom and either White or Chafee. All white dudes--and a hell of a bad way they met their maker too.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
WJR (760 AM) out of Detroit was/is like that... 50kw unlimited. As a kid, on a clear night, we could pick it up clearly off a bounce in Northern Ontario, and as a student at UF, we could pick it up sometimes driving on I-75 even in southern Georgia.
I've been into radio and especially SWL(short wave listening) all my life as a hobby and for the challenge. Been awhile but I remember hearing WJR many times in Pensacola at night. Back then in my early teens--too young to drive, too old to play with toys , etc) I stayed glued to the radio trying to get a feel for what it must have been like living in a different area--mostly up north. I loved the challenge of picking up WJR, WLS-Chicago, KMOX-St Louis(used to listen to Cardinal baseball, Blues Hockey and I didn't care for hockey but loved listening to the games), and my other northern go-to station was WLW in Cincy. Reds games mostly. The way propagation worked on bouncing the signal, getting stations from north and south was common. Picking up stations from an east-west orientation was almost impossible. I occasionally could get a couple of Texas stations but that was rare. Getting north of me--Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, and Louisville was easy although there were limits.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I've been into radio and especially SWL(short wave listening) all my life as a hobby and for the challenge. Been awhile but I remember hearing WJR many times in Pensacola at night. Back then in my early teens--too young to drive, too old to play with toys , etc) I stayed glued to the radio trying to get a feel for what it must have been like living in a different area--mostly up north. I loved the challenge of picking up WJR, WLS-Chicago, KMOX-St Louis(used to listen to Cardinal baseball, Blues Hockey and I didn't care for hockey but loved listening to the games), and my other northern go-to station was WLW in Cincy. Reds games mostly. The way propagation worked on bouncing the signal, getting stations from north and south was common. Picking up stations from an east-west orientation was almost impossible. I occasionally could get a couple of Texas stations but that was rare. Getting north of me--Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, and Louisville was easy although there were limits.
We had a vintage old two dial “come in Rangoon” SW radio set when I was a kid… I loved it, wish we’d kept it. Loved sitting in the dark, old uncomfortable headphones on,with the glow of the vacuum tubes.

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We had a vintage old two dial “come in Rangoon” SW radio set when I was a kid… I loved it, wish we’d kept it.
I remember reading about those. Never actually saw one but I knew they were supposed to be solid. My go-to set was a Zenith Trans-Oceanic. Had an antenna built into the handle which unfolded and seemed to be 6 feet long. You could just keep on pulling that thing out forever. Was ultra sensitive and I had all the bands covered from 1.2 mhz up through 30mhz. No FM and no sideband on the SW bands but that radio is where I learned CW...morse code.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I remember reading about those. Never actually saw one but I knew they were supposed to be solid. My go-to set was a Zenith Trans-Oceanic. Had an antenna built into the handle which unfolded and seemed to be 6 feet long. You could just keep on pulling that thing out forever. Was ultra sensitive and I had all the bands covered from 1.2 mhz up through 30mhz. No FM and no sideband on the SW bands but that radio is where I learned CW...morse code.
Yeah, I added to my post, so see above. It might have actually been from the 40’s. Very similar to really old vintage Zenith TOs. I remember the front glass plate had a map of the world with all the cities and you could scroll/nudge around. Great memories. Here’s my modern equivalent, you might like this, every green dot takes you live, your old favs are BIG green dots:

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, I added to my post, so see above. It might have actually been from the 40’s. Very similar to really old vintage Zenith TOs. I remember the front glass plate had a map of the world with all the cities and you could scroll/nudge around. Great memories. Here’s my modern equivalent, you might like this, every green dot takes you live, your old favs are BIG green dots:
I use Radio Garden a lot. A station in Australia---Port Douglas. Mostly easy jazz and it's great to have a background music going all the time. Mellow to say the least. Ironically, when I clicked on your link I thought I was going to a Lithuanian station---wrong, I got Canberra Australia! Not a bad station either but wasn't Lithuania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator