Oceangate sub implodes on way to Titanic

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When carbon fiber is used in pressure applications it's to keep the pressure in not out.
bingo!

Apparently (i.e. googling), the only person that thought this design would work was the head dude. Dozens of experts told him not to do it. It wasn't sanctioned by anyone in the industry. In fact, the industry response was "we're not surprised". At least one employee was fired for complaining. And they operated in international waters to circumvent whatever regulations govern this sort of thing. And if the thing had made previous dives then it would have already had micro cracks.
There were a number of people in the field that told him it was a mistake, but he thought he was the next super engineer that is "innovating" something that no one ever thought of. The guy was wrong on so many things. It definitely had micro cracks....he even talked about the sounds it makes and that's how you know when to stop :facepalm:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too bad others had to pay for his egotism....

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I really can't say "too soon." The day after the Challenger accident, we were saying we hoped Christa McAuliffe enjoyed vacationing all over Florida. Gallows humor is only for those who faced the gallows I guess.
You know why Christa McAuliffe was such a good teacher?

She only blew up in front of her class one time.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Is has that ring of authenticity.
That transcript plays out eerily similar to the USS Thresher implosion, 1963.
During the 1963 inquiry into the Thresher implosion, Admiral Hyman Rickover stated:
(Wikipedia)
I believe the loss of the Thresher should not be viewed solely as the result of failure of a specific braze, weld, system or component, but rather should be considered a consequence of the philosophy of design, construction and inspection that has been permitted in our naval shipbuilding programs. I think it is important that we re-evaluate our present practices where, in the desire to make advancements, we may have forsaken the fundamentals of good engineering.[41]

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lemme guess, Admiral Hyman Rickover was an older white guy with zero inspiration? :crazy:

He was a prick. An absolute dickhead.

But he was the man we needed to build our nuclear submarine force.

He did not suffer fools and demanded perfection.

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
oceangate literally glued the carbon fiber tube to the titanium caps. the ceo described the glue as similar to peanut butter and said its not very sophisticated so they dont really have any room for error.

the more i read on the topic the worse it gets. just the idea of using carbon fiber in a compression application is absolutely asinine. carbon fiber is most like a tape. you can wrap something in it and it will be very strong when stretched and in tensile applications but it has very little compressive strength properties.

when i was fresh out of school and in my first year working as an engineer i was placed on a small test team to evaluate the strength modulus of a carbon fiber ramp prototype designed to be outfit at the bow and stern of an amphibious hovercraft. craft payload was an M1 Abrams - 62 short tons (if memory serves). so essentially the ramp had to withstand repeated drive overs of the tank. We received the thing from the OEM, integrated it into the vehicle platform, instrumented the ramp with sensors and gauges, then planned a test. First time the tank drove up the ramp there was a lot of cracking and creaking. The contractor lead engineer was sweating bullets :lol: but the thing made it up without any catastrophic damage. After that it was like he had just done a line of coke. Absolutely ecstatic and talking a mile a minute, "i told yall it would work, yea, told yall. that was just initial settling in, we are good, this thing will hold no problem..."

Then we backed the tank back off the ramp and it snapped in 2 about half way down :lol:
You should have seen that dudes face. I'll never forget it. We never heard from him again.

Moral of the story is carbon fiber is great for certain applications, but high compressive forces are not one of those applications.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
oceangate literally glued the carbon fiber tube to the titanium caps. the ceo described the glue as similar to peanut butter and said its not very sophisticated so they dont really have any room for error.

the more i read on the topic the worse it gets. just the idea of using carbon fiber in a compression application is absolutely asinine. carbon fiber is most like a tape. you can wrap something in it and it will be very strong when stretched and in tensile applications but it has very little compressive strength properties.

when i was fresh out of school and in my first year working as an engineer i was placed on a small test team to evaluate the strength modulus of a carbon fiber ramp prototype designed to be outfit at the bow and stern of an amphibious hovercraft. craft payload was an M1 Abrams - 62 short tons (if memory serves). so essentially the ramp had to withstand repeated drive overs of the tank. We received the thing from the OEM, integrated it into the vehicle platform, instrumented the ramp with sensors and gauges, then planned a test. First time the tank drove up the ramp there was a lot of cracking and creaking. The contractor lead engineer was sweating bullets :lol: but the thing made it up without any catastrophic damage. After that it was like he had just done a line of coke. Absolutely ecstatic and talking a mile a minute, "i told yall it would work, yea, told yall. that was just initial settling in, we are good, this thing will hold no problem..."

Then we backed the tank back off the ramp and it snapped in 2 about half way down :lol:
You should have seen that dudes face. I'll never forget it. We never heard from him again.

Moral of the story is carbon fiber is great for certain applications, but high compressive forces are not one of those applications.
Yup... carbon fiber great for lightweight rifle barrels... where the pressure is opposite a submersible.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll never forget my first ride in a submarine. It was amazing.

iu

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.