Gator Basketball ***Official Basketball Game Thread: Gators vs #6 Kentucky***

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Kugel the dumbest player in sports
I said it prior to the season. If Kugel was half as good as he thought he was he would be lethal. He plays with little effort and energy in my opinion and thinks he is better than any other player on the court by a mile. The showboating during play is not going to get him anywhere.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
That’s frustrating as it gets

Two of our better players in Samuel and Richard absolutely no-showed. Can’t have that.
I don’t know what was wrong with Samuel today. Was he out partying or something last night? Every time he touched the ball he bobbled it. He typically has good hands but they were awful today.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Well most of you have been begging for this type of basketball and now you have it. It's fun the watch but the results will be the same. Defense and FT shooting sucks.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Samuel should be able to utilize his quickness and strength against their bigs. Richard had plenty of open opportunities, he just bricked em. Having 2/5 starters play like crap against a top 10 team will get you beat.

You can’t afford to do an “orange out,” pack the stadium in an effort to revitalize our fallen program, and come out of there with an L in a VERY winnable game.
It’s not just against this top 10 team. Golden built a nice roster but so far his well deserved reputation is he can’t beat good teams. We’ve lost to every decent team on our schedule so far. It is what it is. Odds are we struggle in a very deep SEC.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I said it prior to the season. If Kugel was half as good as he thought he was he would be lethal. He plays with little effort and energy in my opinion and thinks he is better than any other player on the court by a mile. The showboating during play is not going to get him anywhere.

No effort? He’s arguably our best defender lol

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well most of you have been begging for this type of basketball and now you have it. It's fun the watch but the results will be the same. Defense and FT shooting sucks.

This team is miles ahead of where White had us. I’m not sure the style in which we’re playing is the problem :lol:

It’s all about FTs and TOs. No choice but to clean those up.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
This team is miles ahead of where White had us. I’m not sure the style in which we’re playing is the problem :lol:

It’s all about FTs and TOs. No choice but to clean those up.
Yeah, talent wise maybe but I still see some of the same problems.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Disappointing loss for sure. Thought we had this one.
I see a lot of upside with this team Thinking we will reel in a few big wins before March.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

I'm disappointed we lost the game, but we've looked good in all our games this year and our only losses weren't blowouts--most were down to the last possession.

That is a marked improvement from the Mike White era, where he only focused on defense and there was no energy surrounding the team, fanbase, or program.

We at least look re-energized and that's a step in the right direction. Recruits turning into the game yesterday would see a sold-out O'Dome and a team capable of playing with anyone. Wth did Mike White offer?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm disappointed we lost the game, but we've looked good in all our games this year and our only losses weren't blowouts--most were down to the last possession.

That is a marked improvement from the Mike White era, where he only focused on defense and there was no energy surrounding the team, fanbase, or program.

We at least look re-energized and that's a step in the right direction. Recruits turning into the game yesterday would see a sold-out O'Dome and a team capable of playing with anyone. Wth did Mike White offer?
He’s like 1-16 in games against teams with a pulse. Sounds like you love yourself some moral victories so he’s the right coach for you. That stat about losing every close game but one (the one must be the overtime win over a bad Michigan team) is extremely concerning. I really like this roster but major concerns about Golden knowing what to do with it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s like 1-16 in games against teams with a pulse. Sounds like you love yourself some moral victories so he’s the right coach for you. That stat about losing every close game but one (the one must be the overtime win over a bad Michigan team) is extremely concerning. I really like this roster but major concerns about Golden knowing what to do with it.
Asausage yourself and it’s concerns

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Asausage yourself and it’s concerns
I was thinking of grabbing one of Ox’s prostitutes this afternoon but if I don’t, will probably asausage later. Not sure what that has to do with Goldilocks always getting it pushed in every time he faces a decent team. But al least a lot of them are close losses.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Losing our best player (and one of our only offensive threats) midway through last season certainly didn't help with the stat--and it was year 1 for him after being left a terrible roster to begin with.

So while he needs to start winning games against the better teams; I'm at least seeing signs that he's rebuilt our roster and has the pieces in place.

If by the end of the year that stat is no better and coaching issues were a key reason behind that, than I'll be right alongside everyone else saying we need to find someone else.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017

If I compare where Golden is in his second year vs Napier and his 2nd year, there’s no comparison. Golden’s team is making progress, moving in the right direction. There are a few things to resolve before Starting to celebrate anything, but getting guys up to their lifetime averages in FT% would be a good start, and was the difference in losing vs winning many of those close losses. As for play calling, I don’t really know if the problem is more with calls, or with execution. Regardless, the gap between mediocre and good is much narrower at this stage than it is for Napier after 2 full seasons.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
If I compare where Golden is in his second year vs Napier and his 2nd year, there’s no comparison. Golden’s team is making progress, moving in the right direction. There are a few things to resolve before Starting to celebrate anything, but getting guys up to their lifetime averages in FT% would be a good start, and was the difference in losing vs winning many of those close losses. As for play calling, I don’t really know if the problem is more with calls, or with execution. Regardless, the gap between mediocre and good is much narrower at this stage than it is for Napier after 2 full seasons.
I'm not sure why we are using Napier as the measuring stick for the basketball program but it's certainly a symptom of how far we have fallen from grace as a Div 1 program across the board. 1044 days since we have beaten UK in basketball or Football.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I'm not sure why we are using Napier as the measuring stick for the basketball program but it's certainly a symptom of how far we have fallen from grace as a Div 1 program across the board. 1044 days since we have beaten UK in basketball or Football.

I'm fairly confident we'll make the tournament this year and may even surprise a few people when there.

We haven't even fully gelled yet and while I'm not into moral victories, we did play a good Kentucky team down to the wire (and led most of the game too). Play like that every game and we'll most certainly win our share against ranked teams--and likely will be ranked ourselves at some point in the back-half of the year.

Can't say that about Napier; though he's certainly not the barometer for success.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017

Napier isn’t a barometer of how close we are to the top, but of how close we are to the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator