***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida @ Texas A&M

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Nice win...led just about start to finish. I liked the ball movement. First half 14 assists on 18 buckets. Coach White controlled the pace all game.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
You need to comment on White's time out here. I think you have had a point in the past about White not calling time outs when the other team is on a run. It looks like White came around to your point of view on that this game?
Yep, he did it 2 or 3 times I think. Loved the game plan and how he used the timeouts and the pace of play. Even when we played slow it was with an aggressiveness and intensity of a face paced offense. Need a bunch more games like this. I think White even called a timeout not to only slow the momentum, but the timeout was to get a designed play in

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great game by our guys but its only one game. We are not gonna shot that hot all the time as we know but our Defense was MUCH better. Will any of you give credit where it is due to Coach Mike White? He wanted to push the pace in this game and we did and WON. Can't wait for a few of you to dismiss this win. TB, FF, and Kr where are you? You are here when we lose but not when we win. Go Gators!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yep, he did it 2 or 3 times I think. Loved the game plan and how he used the timeouts and the pace of play. Even when we played slow it was with an aggressiveness and intensity of a face paced offense. Need a bunch more games like this. I think White even called a timeout not to only slow the momentum, but the timeout was to get a designed play in

I did not like the way UF slowed it down that much. Too often it was Chiozza or Koulechov getting off a bad shot against a huge front line. And another time they let the ball get in the hands of Ballard for a too early long 2.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Did not expect this at all! What a freaking game. Love what I saw from Hayes and Stone, but would it be too early to say Egor found his shooting stroke?

We were without Eggy, Stokes, Johnson and had a limited Hudson. And these were injuries/sickness, not suspensions. No excuses!

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I did not like the way UF slowed it down that much. Too often it was Chiozza or Koulechov getting off a bad shot against a huge front line. And another time they let the ball get in the hands of Ballard for a too early long 2.
That was more towards the end (which I was OK with due to the score and time remaining) I think most of the 2nd half was a concentrated half court with an aggressive feel

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
would it be too early to say Egor found his shooting stroke?

I thought this team had enough shooters that everyone could NOT be off on the same night, but boy was I wrong. It is nice to see a good offensive night, but had UF made 40% of its 3s, UF would have made 6 less and scored 18 points less possibly and then it might have been a nail biter of a game.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed that one. Really thought we were gonna get punked by their size. Seems Egor has found his touch. Glad to hear it was a foot issue and not a head issue, which is harder to contend with. Can't wait to get Stokes and Egbunu back from injury. This team can still do some great things.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this team had enough shooters that everyone could NOT be off on the same night, but boy was I wrong. It is nice to see a good offensive night, but had UF made 40% of its 3s, UF would have made 6 less and scored 18 points less possibly and then it might have been a nail biter of a game.

Maybe those misses would have turned to offensive rebounds and second chance points? Never know :dunno:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FF, we are dying to at what point you walked out of the game disgusted with the Gators play? We would also love to hear your inside analysis on how we hit too many 3 pointers! Go Gators!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great game last night. The defensioenergy got stops and allowed the team to play fast and get open threes.

Yes... Jay Bilas... I know.. A&M was without guys. You pounded that point home, but we have been also season and a win like this on the road is a great win!

Gator97

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I went last night, first time in years getting to a game. Some random observations...
  • As fast as chiozza has always seemed on tv, his speed and control live, both hands and feet, are awesome. Perhaps exacerbated by their lack of guards, but it was striking live how much faster he was than anyone else on either team. Enjoy the rest of his season, think we're gonna miss him.
  • Our half court O has problems when we try to slow down. This isolation at top of the key until 10 on the clock and a iso drive into traffic last second is getting old.
  • Hoping Stone continues like this, looks to be growing up. He and Hayes really handled their bigs well, and his stretch in the offense is a weapon
  • Did they say anything on tv about the last game we didn't make a free throw? Can't remember it. Refs were horrid. Full blown tackling going on with no calls. Glad no one got hurt.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
  • Hoping Stone continues like this, looks to be growing up. He and Hayes really handled their bigs well, and his stretch in the offense is a weapon
  • Did they say anything on tv about the last game we didn't make a free throw? Can't remember it. Refs were horrid. Full blown tackling going on with no calls. Glad no one got hurt.

Well the one really dangerous play they missed last night was when Hayes jumped for a rebound and was undercut. Thankfully he bounced back up and continued to play.

As far as Stone goes, putting that game up on tape means opponents will at least for a while focus on him on D opening up other things for UF. Similarly the five blocks by Hayes will for a bit put him in the head of opponents going inside against UF.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I got tired of hearing about how they were under manned when we have at least three players hurt. And the refs were bad, you wrap your arms around a player and basically nothing happens. Good shooting means we will be difficult to beat, need to work more on offense against zone and how to get a decent shot when you are milking the clock, not to mention defense.

Gator97

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone been to college station much? My second visit (1st was their sec opener).
Even though mostly surrounded by older alumn, everyone was again so polite and welcoming. Would recommend as a trip for any fans. particularly if you have kids, great environment.

Still, has a weird stepford wives kinda vibe to me. Don’t know if others feel same.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You need to comment on White's time out here. I think you have had a point in the past about White not calling time outs when the other team is on a run. It looks like White came around to your point of view on that this game?

I will.
I shared the same concern regarding time outs. Last night when I asked out loud if White had seen enough, he called time out.
Maybe a coincidence or maybe he is seeing that he can't let these guys go too long and must stop the momentum.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
UF is now 2-0 in the SEC and 29th in Kenpom. UF's next 4 games to finish out the first third of the SEC schedule are:

Opponents (Kenpom ranking)
@Missouri (50)
Mississippi State (65) despite being 13-1
@Mississippi (81)
Arkansas (26)

Mississippi is the lowest ranked SEC team in Kenpom. UF really needs to go 4-0, 3-1 at worst in these next 4 games. 6-0 would really position UF well and is needed because as usual UF's SEC schedule is back loaded for TV. I usually go through the SEC schedule pre-season predict UF's results and so I can compare how UF is doing compared to how they need to do. Had I done this (and I may have in another thread) this year, I would have said something like:

1. Vandy, W, 1-0 UF needs to get this win with aTm looming and the monkey Vandy has been on UF's back.
2. @aTm, L, 1-1, aTm are just awfully strong in the front court and it is there.
3. @Missouri, L, 1-2, particularly if I did this before the higher ranked Porter kid was hurt.
4. Mississippi State, W, 2-2, one of those home SEC games you must have.
5. @Mississippi, W, 3-2, another must have game. The SEC is tough this year and this is no breather, but one you must get.
6. Arkansas, W, 4-2, another SEC home game UF must get.

So 4-2 one-third of the way through the SEC. Do that two more times and UF is 12-6 and has a bid sewn up.

7. @UK, L, 4-3, tough to win in Rupp.
8. SoCar, W, 5-3, another must win at home and you know they will ugly it up against UF.
9. @UGa, W, 6-3, UF needs to steal on on the road in this stretch, why not at UGa.
10. UAL, W, 7-3, another home game UF must get.
11. LSU, W, 8-3 another home game UF must get.
12. @SoCar, L, 8-4, up there they will ugly it up enough to squeeze out a win maybe.

So UF goes 4-2 again realistically if they can split at UGa/SoCar and win their home matchups.

13. UGa, W, 9-4, another home game UF must get.
14. @Vandy, W, 10-4, the monkey is really gone and a winning SEC record is assured.
15. @UTn, L, 10-5, UF lost up there the last time White took a team up there.
16. AU, W, 11-5, another home game UF must get.
17. @UAL, L, 11-6, UF could get this one, but they are talented.
18. UK , W, 12-6, UF beats UK on SR night to cap a nice SEC regular season.

So a 3rd 4-2 and UF finishes 12-6 in the SEC to go with 8 wins non conference and maybe a home win against Baylor in the SEC v. B12 series and finishes with 20 or 21 wins. And if UF were to play well on the road, UF could do even better than I have projected. (BTW, anyone else notice that this team has played better on the road or even neutral site out of the state of Florida than at home or in state?)

So UF is ahead of schedule by my analysis and I think now they might be able to get 2 games ahead in the first 6 SEC games. That would both give UF some cushion and help with seeding. The cushion would be nice because as I said the SEC is tough from top to bottom and we have all seen this team can have a clunker of a game any time. Still I am getting optimistic about this team again with this nice start.

Last edited:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Anyone been to college station much? My second visit (1st was their sec opener).
Even though mostly surrounded by older alumn, everyone was again so polite and welcoming. Would recommend as a trip for any fans. particularly if you have kids, great environment.

Still, has a weird stepford wives kinda vibe to me. Don’t know if others feel same.
I did 3 years of Grad school at Texas A&M. Great city and surrounding area. The people are all amazing for the most part. Very friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.