***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Vanderbilt

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida is up 70-61 at the under 4 timeout. 7 on the clock for us. We are playing slowwwwwwww on purpose. Have to score and get stops

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It was really good in the 1st half when we had Vandy game planned. We ran them off the line and had Hayes and Stokes blocking and contesting shots. Vandy switched to a 5 out offense leaving the lane open. Hence why i said White had to adjust

Yup, went to zone but not sure it helped much lol

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Now we are really slowing it down, thankfully we are driving instead of settling for late shot clock 3s

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Wow, they just suck when they try and slow things down. If you are in a good rhythm stay in it. Chorizo is still the only guy that can penetrate....

Take the win against Vandy any day, but work to do

Go Gators

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We have a ways to go, that’s for sure. Want to see what we look like 100% healthy and can actually rotate a true 5 in with Eggy, Gak and Hayes. Throw in Stokes in the interior too, at the worst he’s a huge body who can eat space

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida wins 81-74

As good as the first half was. The 2nd was that much in the opposite direction. Only positive in the 2nd was White did adjust to keep Vandy from layups and our FT shooting and drawing fouls. But this was a 5-8 team that owned us do to stall ball in the 2nd half. Minor progress overall I guess given we were down 4.5 players today. Including Egbunu and Hudson (played like 6 min)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's with Mike White's Majik Marker hair? Egor helped a lot today.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Florida wins 81-74

As good as the first half was. The 2nd was that much in the opposite direction. Only positive in the 2nd was White did adjust to keep Vandy from layups and our FT shooting and drawing fouls. But this was a 5-8 team that owned us do to stall ball in the 2nd half. Minor progress overall I guess given we were down 4.5 players today. Including Egbunu and Hudson (played like 6 min)

UF in the first half showed what it can be with two semi bigs and Koulechov at the 3. I say semi bigs because in reality Stone is a 3.

The plan of going inside out worked well and UF put together two 40+ point halves. The plan of playing 3 guards and 2 3s after Hayes got in foul trouble almost lost UF the game. Not surprisingly UF gave up a 54 point half playing 3 guards and 2 3s.

I am not sure why Bassett was not used defensively in the second half when Hayes was in trouble? This is a a good enough offensive team to play one big who is not a threat offensively.

One irony about playing all these guards is that White is still playing so many of them, Allen, Ballard, Hudson, Okauru, at the 2 that they struggle to define their roles.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Give Vandy a lot of credit in that 2nd half. Good to get the 1st game win in conference. Keep building!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Have not read this thread, but was at the game and I have a question or two that perhaps someone can answer. I got to my seat a couple minutes in and the first 4 shots I saw were all awful 3pt. attempts. I think 1 went in but all 4 were early in the clock, no rhythm, and somewhat forced. Then we made some 3's and boom 20 pt. halftime lead. But we were still stagnant at times in the half court. Second half and we seemed to be completely glued to the floor on offense. If we are not making 3's, can someone please tell me what are we trying to get accomplished in the half court offense, besides the typical "trying to score" answer? When teams zone us, we have 5 guys standing still. Today when we put either Cheese or Egor in the low post they are dribbling and the other 4 guys are standing still like a totem pole. They were ample cutting lanes for guys and not once to a guy cut or make a rim run. Even if the cutter does not receive a pass, he can be replaced by another moving player to his previous spot giving the low post man a better passing angle. At the same time the more movement will stress the defense. How are we going to score enough on days when the 3 is not going down? I fear the next 2 games will be a struggle offensively. A&M is usually a physical team and even though I have not seem Mizzou this year, I am well aware of Cuonzo Martin and they style his teams play. he played for Gene Keady who coached as physical style as there was in college basketball. and all 3 of Martin's other teams he coached played very physical.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Florida wins 81-74

We actually scored more points in the second half so I don't think you can blame stall ball unless you think we were playing stall ball both halves. The main difference was they played much better offensively and hit a bunch of 3's in the second half and 12 for the game. You aren't going to win too many games where your opponent hits 12 3's so I'm actually impressed we came away with the W.

Getting Egor to the line repeatedly was actually a winning strategy it turned out. We can't expect to win too many giving up 54 points in the second half though so hopefully they step up the defense in the next game..

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Have not read this thread, but was at the game and I have a question or two that perhaps someone can answer. I got to my seat a couple minutes in and the first 4 shots I saw were all awful 3pt. attempts. I think 1 went in but all 4
were early in the clock, no rhythm, and somewhat forced. Then we made some 3's and boom 20 pt. halftime lead. But we were still stagnant at times in the half court. Second half and we seemed to be completely glued to the floor on offense. If we are not making 3's, can someone please tell me what are we trying to get accomplished in the half court offense, besides the typical "trying to score" answer? When teams zone us, we have 5 guys standing still. Today when we put either Cheese or Egor in the low post they are dribbling and the other 4 guys are standing still like a totem pole. They were ample cutting lanes for guys and not once to a guy cut or make a rim run. Even if the cutter does not receive a pass, he can be replaced by another moving player to his previous spot giving the low post man a better passing angle. At the same time the more movement will stress the defense. How are we going to score enough on days when the 3 is not going down? I fear the next 2 games will be a struggle offensively. A&M is usually a physical team and even though I have not seem Mizzou this year, I am well aware of Cuonzo Martin and they style his teams play. he played for Gene Keady who coached as physical style as there was in college basketball. and all 3 of Martin's other teams he coached played very physical.

I believe the offensive plan today was:

1. Pound the ball inside and at least early on have Stone particularly and Hayes take the ball to the rim. The idea being I think to put on tape that UF in fact has an inside game.

2. Get 3s inside out.

3. Exploit any mismatches UF found.

UF did get some production from Stone and Hayes who scored scored 13 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in 54 minutes. UF shot 42.7% from the arc so the inside out helped. And clearly Koulechov, Allen and Chiozza all were able to exploit one on one opportunities and were often fouled and went 18 for 18 from the line.

One oddity is that Allen after a hot first half, did not shoot at all in the second half. He was fouled shooting a couple or three times in the second half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator