***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs Charlotte

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm seeing Egbunu having to "share" playing time with others and those others contributing more per minutes than he. Perhaps that will give Egbunu an "attitude adjustment" because he misses the decent points about basketball. He definitely shouldn't jump to NBA. Plus even staying another year will not benefit him if he does not get very professional instruction.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hudson will be starting in all likelihood. He is the best offensive player we have now. He was the leading scorer in almost all of our scrimmages.

Like Macklin, like Rosario, like Francis-Ramirez etc. Like Stone even who as been a good player this year but nothing like his sitting out a year hype. Nothing hypes up a UF basketball player like sitting out a year.

I see it as:

Chiozza
Allen
Hudson
Stone
Egbunu/Hayes

I really don't see how Egbunu would leave early...he has no offensive game when anyone tries to play d on him.

That leaves backups:

TBA

If White goes to a three guard offense then I would begin to doubt him. And really until he makes the NCAAs he has that NIT label on him.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Like Macklin, like Rosario, like Francis-Ramirez etc. Like Stone even who as been a good player this year but nothing like his sitting out a year hype. Nothing hypes up a UF basketball player like sitting out a year.

If White goes to a three guard offense then I would begin to doubt him. And really until he makes the NCAAs he has that NIT label on him.
Hudson is 6'6" and has succeeded in limited minutes in the ACC. Including 23 pts against Duke and 32 pts against Wake his freshman year and 27 pts aginst Louisville last year. He only avg 20 min a game last season because VT was crazy guard heavy so everyone split min. Non of the players you listed had the experience and success as Hudson against top competition before they redshirted. Closest comparison would be DFS, but Hudson showed more promise at VT than DFS.

Playing Hudson at SF is no different than when Beal played SF. He is a big guard and is the same as Barry size wise but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more athletic.

I'm basing my analysis of Hudson from seeing him play against ACC teams...don't know much about practice this year other than he was our best offensive player in scrimmages.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hudson is 6'6" and has succeeded in limited minutes in the ACC. Including 23 pts against Duke and 32 pts against Wake his freshman year and 27 pts aginst Louisville last year. He only avg 20 min a game last season because VT was crazy guard heavy so everyone split min. Non of the players you listed had the experience and success as Hudson against top competition before they redshirted. Closest comparison would be DFS, but Hudson showed more promise at VT than DFS.

Playing Hudson at SF is no different than when Beal played SF. He is a big guard and is the same as Barry size wise but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more athletic.

I'm basing my analysis of Hudson from seeing him play against ACC teams...don't know much about practice this year other than he was our best offensive player in scrimmages.

1. You are correct about Hudons' height, but he has never shown much of an inclination to rebound gathering in 142 rebounds in 67 games at VaTech compared to Beal's 249 rebounds in 37 games. Now it is possible that Hudson will take to the SF position and become a rebounder as you suggest he is athletic enough to do so. [Of course that team with Beal did not make it to the final four as often happens to good 3 guard teams.]

2. Hudson's offensive rating, ie points produced per 100 possessions, was an indifferent 98.7 as a Soph and 96.1 as a Frosh. Beal on the other hand had a good to very good offensive rating of 115.4. Hudson is also a career 65.9% shooter from the free throw line. BTW, Hudson ACC game offensive ratings are a bit worse than his overall ratings.

3. Now there are reasons to be optimistic about Hudson. Barry is actually a very good comp for Hudson though Barry was a much better rebounder a CofC than Hudson was at VaTech, still they are similar offensive players, ie 6'6" guys who are pretty average from the arc but good at slashing to the rim and getting to the foul line. Barry has so far improved is offensive rating a good bit playing with better players and for White. If Hudson playing with better players similarly becomes more selective in his offense, then he too might take that jump. Really the big difference that I see is in rebounding. Barry is a very heady player, using the rim to protect the ball from the shot blocker that other UF players have followed, and he rebounds very well. It remains to be seen if Hudson will be able to contribute like that.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
1. You are correct about Hudons' height, but he has never shown much of an inclination to rebound gathering in 142 rebounds in 67 games at VaTech compared to Beal's 249 rebounds in 37 games. Now it is possible that Hudson will take to the SF position and become a rebounder as you suggest he is athletic enough to do so. [Of course that team with Beal did not make it to the final four as often happens to good 3 guard teams.]

2. Hudson's offensive rating, ie points produced per 100 possessions, was an indifferent 98.7 as a Soph and 96.1 as a Frosh. Beal on the other hand had a good to very good offensive rating of 115.4. Hudson is also a career 65.9% shooter from the free throw line. BTW, Hudson ACC game offensive ratings are a bit worse than his overall ratings.

3. Now there are reasons to be optimistic about Hudson. Barry is actually a very good comp for Hudson though Barry was a much better rebounder a CofC than Hudson was at VaTech, still they are similar offensive players, ie 6'6" guys who are pretty average from the arc but good at slashing to the rim and getting to the foul line. Barry has so far improved is offensive rating a good bit playing with better players and for White. If Hudson playing with better players similarly becomes more selective in his offense, then he too might take that jump. Really the big difference that I see is in rebounding. Barry is a very heady player, using the rim to protect the ball from the shot blocker that other UF players have followed, and he rebounds very well. It remains to be seen if Hudson will be able to contribute like that.

I don't like to look at his offensive rating too much because he wasn't playing 25-35 min a game at AL as a freshman and not consistently as a sophomore. He would play 25 min 22 min, then 6, 14 and 16. Depending on when he played during a game and who it was against the actual game play could have had a lot of influence on the offensive rating. Anytime he had 20-30 min he had a good game, but when he played less min he wasn't as effective or efficient. And you shouldn't compare a 3-4 year player's offensive rating to Beal. Beal was 1 and done and Hudson has had to improve his game each year to get where he is now. I would think his junior or senior years will compare favorably to Beal's. I see him as a big guard version DFS. So more points but less rebs.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I'm seeing Egbunu having to "share" playing time with others and those others contributing more per minutes than he. Perhaps that will give Egbunu an "attitude adjustment" because he misses the decent points about basketball. He definitely shouldn't jump to NBA. Plus even staying another year will not benefit him if he does not get very professional instruction.

Mostly he tries to do too much, many times he is well covered but insists on taking it to the basket even when he has not been too successful. He is still very raw on offense, as we should expect.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are now OWED and DESTROYED just like Charlotte!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't like to look at his offensive rating too much because he wasn't playing 25-35 min a game at AL as a freshman and not consistently as a sophomore. He would play 25 min 22 min, then 6, 14 and 16. Depending on when he played during a game and who it was against the actual game play could have had a lot of influence on the offensive rating. Anytime he had 20-30 min he had a good game, but when he played less min he wasn't as effective or efficient. And you shouldn't compare a 3-4 year player's offensive rating to Beal. Beal was 1 and done and Hudson has had to improve his game each year to get where he is now. I would think his junior or senior years will compare favorably to Beal's. I see him as a big guard version DFS. So more points but less rebs.

1. I compared Hudson to Beal because you said,
Playing Hudson at SF is no different than when Beal played SF.

2. You may have cause and effect mixed up. Hudson may have gotten minutes when he was playing and shooting well and less minutes when he was not. Sure that would not have allowed him to shoot his way through a bad start, but also it would have concentrated his minutes during games he was shooting well and he still had those offensive ratings.

3. In the Duke game you mention Hudson scored 23 points on 20 shots from the field. He was more efficient against Wake and Louisville. But he also had 23 points against NCSU on 21 shots. If you just look at conference games, Hudson scored 265 points on 235 shots or 1.117 points per shot, while in conference games in which he played 20+ minutes Hudson scored 233 points on 200 shots or 1.165 points per shot. That does not seem like much of a difference to me.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
1. I compared Hudson to Beal because you said,

2. You may have cause and effect mixed up. Hudson may have gotten minutes when he was playing and shooting well and less minutes when he was not. Sure that would not have allowed him to shoot his way through a bad start, but also it would have concentrated his minutes during games he was shooting well and he still had those offensive ratings.

3. In the Duke game you mention Hudson scored 23 points on 20 shots from the field. He was more efficient against Wake and Louisville. But he also had 23 points against NCSU on 21 shots. If you just look at conference games, Hudson scored 265 points on 235 shots or 1.117 points per shot, while in conference games in which he played 20+ minutes Hudson scored 233 points on 200 shots or 1.165 points per shot. That does not seem like much of a difference to me.

1. I mentioned Beal to show 3 guard lineups work and Hudson is similar size wise to Beal.

2. Again, breaking down a underclassmen in terms of pps and offensive ratings is not wise unless they are top of the line talent coming into college. The numbers in their 4th year should be vastly improved compared to the first 2...especially if you are trying to project stats for next year

3. If you don't want to believe Hudson will be good that's fine. From what I have seen he will be our best offensive player. Hopefully Allen makes a similar jump and we have a great scoring duo we have been missing. Playing 3 guards is fine in college. Duke started 4 against us and that worked well for them. UK starts 3 guards as well. It's all about the talent and whether or not they can play defense. Imo we will be using a 3 guard lineup next year unless someone else starts at pg other than Chiozza or Drob returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.