***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs Kentucky

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I am not that concerned with where someone will be drafted which is a funciton of age, talent, polish and what a GM can sell his owner on not talent alone. That is athletic ability and length. UF is right there with UK this year. Also notice that criticism we all make of Allen to the NBA, he is short for an NBA guard applies to all other 6'2" or 6'3" college guards even the ones playing for UK.

We aren't far off in talent, but I don't think I'm off base saying they're more talented. Guess we will agree to disagree.

I still think we win this game because we play more like a team than they do. Hope Hill limits Fox and Eggy/Hayes lock up Bam. Monk can get his as long as we limit the others.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't far off in talent, but I don't think I'm off base saying they're more talented. Guess we will agree to disagree.

I still think we win this game because we play more like a team than they do. Hope Hill limits Fox and Eggy/Hayes lock up Bam. Monk can get his as long as we limit the others.

Hill is a key. He has got smoked by KY guards in some previous years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Let's go Gators! Watched a little game day this morning. Kick Tucky's ass!!!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GO
basketball-8.gif
GATORS!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hill is a key. He has got smoked by KY guards in some previous years.

Well lets see:

2014 as a back up

Game 1: 14 min, 0 points, 1 rebound, 1 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 21 min, 8 points, 1 rebound, 7 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 3: 16 min, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 turnover.

No back up guard for UK that year even scored on UF and clearly Hill more than held his own as a true frosh. Hill was even 6 for 6 from the FT line in Game 2. Of course it is Hill's play the next two years that you are probably talking about.

Game 1: 31 min, 12 points, 1 rebound, 6 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 34 min, 15 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assists and 4 turnovers.
Game 3: 35 min, 8 points, 1 rebound, 4 assists and 4 turnovers.

Hill shoot no worse than 4 of 10 from the field in each of these games. Too many turnovers but not hardly smoked. Heck in one of these games Ulis scored 0 points in 33 minutes.

2016:

Game 1: 13 min, 4 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 23 min (off the bench) 8 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists and 0 turnovers.

I guess game 1 here is the game. Hill appears by the minutes to have been in foul trouble much of the game and was 2 for 7 from the field. As a starter Hill's FT shooting was wobbly.

I do agree that Hill can be the key this game. UK has allowed penetration in their recent struggle. No one penetrates better than Hill. Hill must penetrate, make good decisions and when that decision is shoot a layup , he needs to make them. Then again UK may play the zone they played last game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well lets see:

2014 as a back up

Game 1: 14 min, 0 points, 1 rebound, 1 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 21 min, 8 points, 1 rebound, 7 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 3: 16 min, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 turnover.

No back up guard for UK that year even scored on UF and clearly Hill more than held his own as a true frosh. Hill was even 6 for 6 from the FT line in Game 2. Of course it is Hill's play the next two years that you are probably talking about.

Game 1: 31 min, 12 points, 1 rebound, 6 assists and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 34 min, 15 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assists and 4 turnovers.
Game 3: 35 min, 8 points, 1 rebound, 4 assists and 4 turnovers.

Hill shoot no worse than 4 of 10 from the field in each of these games. Too many turnovers but not hardly smoked. Heck in one of these games Ulis scored 0 points in 33 minutes.

2016:

Game 1: 13 min, 4 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 turnover.
Game 2: 23 min (off the bench) 8 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists and 0 turnovers.

I guess game 1 here is the game. Hill appears by the minutes to have been in foul trouble much of the game and was 2 for 7 from the field. As a starter Hill's FT shooting was wobbly.

I do agree that Hill can be the key this game. UK has allowed penetration in their recent struggle. No one penetrates better than Hill. Hill must penetrate, make good decisions and when that decision is shoot a layup , he needs to make them. Then again UK may play the zone they played last game.

I just remember watching some KY games and their guards were smoking Hill at times.

Their guards outscored ours easily in both regular season games last year and Hill played about half the game in that 2nd one even though he didn't start.

In one game their 2 starting guards combined for over 50 pts. and they got 40 in the other game.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I just remember watching some KY games and their guards were smoking Hill at times.

Apparently you don't remember correctly. I did not see a game where Hill was smoked except maybe Game 1 last year. Allen on the other hand might have been schooled at SG. If you look at the raw numbers remember Hill ordinarily playes about 2/3rds of the minutes of UK guards and that affects his raw totals in comparison.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently you don't remember correctly. I did not see a game where Hill was smoked except maybe Game 1 last year. Allen on the other hand might have been schooled at SG. If you look at the raw numbers remember Hill ordinarily playes about 2/3rds of the minutes of UK guards and that affects his raw totals in comparison.

I did watch Hill get smoked quite a bit - explain the 53 pts and 40 pts their guards got then against us? Even that short one smoked Hill at times. It wasn't all Allen and Chiozza. I might be on Hill a little too much for that defense however compared to the other two.

Hopefully Hill is up to the task today.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
- explain the 53 pts and 40 pts their guards got then against us?

Well those are the two 2016 games. Game 1 Hill did not play well and seemingly was in foul trouble, but he did not give up 35 points to the UK SG. He was not 2-14 like UF's other two guards. In Game two Hill played ok with 8 points in 23 minutes while Ulis scored 19 in 37 minutes. If you inflate Hill's scoring to 37 minutes Hill was scoring in his minutes at a rate of about 12-13 points. Hill was not good from the FT line that game.

I guess I object to the adjective "smoked" more than anything. In part it is the minutes difference that makes it appear like there is a greater difference in game totals than in play.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well those are the two 2016 games. Game 1 Hill did not play well and seemingly was in foul trouble, but he did not give up 35 points to the UK SG. He was not 2-14 like UF's other two guards. In Game two Hill played ok with 8 points in 23 minutes while Ulis scored 19 in 37 minutes. If you inflate Hill's scoring to 37 minutes Hill was scoring in his minutes at a rate of about 12-13 points. Hill was not good from the FT line that game.

I guess I object to the adjective "smoked" more than anything. In part it is the minutes difference that makes it appear like there is a greater difference in game totals than in play.

Well like I said maybe I am blaming him too much for what happened but it just stuck in my head when Hill was getting beat at times when I watched the KY games. I never expect anything out of Chiozza.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Fair enough, I have a low expectations for Hill. So I guess I thought for Hill he played decently, but UK played better last year.

I think it comes down to UF playing defense and holding UK under their average. UK is not as good a defensive team as UF.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have to hit a high FG% within the first 5 minutes so our shooters don't start overthinking it.
Hoping our defense so mean to UK that it rattles their style.
Gators need to block out UK's inside passing and drives to the basket -- blocks called as charges.
We'll probably need a high FT%. Like to see defensive Gators flicking busy hands to break UK concentration.
We gotta pull out the stops. Love to see Hester have a heroic shooting game. Let Barry show his teammates
how determination can lead to a win. My most pleasant surprise would be for Egbunu to dominate UK's inside
efforts; dumbfound them - after all they did qualify for the U of Kentucky. Go Gators get in that "at home groove".
And may God smile on all you guys who are there to cheer in person.

Finally, Hope Calipari is caught on camera slipping cash into ref's back pocket and is sent to the locker room.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I actually feel like Hill plays up to the competition and plays well vs UK. Maybe it's just selective memory

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I did watch Hill get smoked quite a bit - explain the 53 pts and 40 pts their guards got then against us? Even that short one smoked Hill at times. It wasn't all Allen and Chiozza. I might be on Hill a little too much for that defense however compared to the other two.

Hopefully Hill is up to the task today.
Hill will probably not be guarding anyone but the PG today just like he has in the past vs UK. The scoring outburst by UK guards was not on Hill from what I remember. Hester may actually end up guarding Monk more today then Hill.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hill will probably not be guarding anyone but the PG today just like he has in the past vs UK. The scoring outburst by UK guards was not on Hill from what I remember. Hester may actually end up guarding Monk more today then Hill.

We definitely need to keep Monk in check a little. He gets on some serious scoring streaks at times.

I think we win if rebounding is close. That is how KY beats many teams.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We definitely need to keep Monk in check a little. He gets on some serious scoring streaks at times.

I think we win if rebounding is close. That is how KY beats many teams.
Yep, rebounding, transition D, and defending Monk. Those are some big Keys to tonight's game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think I'm going to stick this. Our first basketball sticky in a couple years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was born and raised in Lexington....so I want this game almost as bad as the Duke game (my brother is a Duke fan)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like you even better now............Born raised in Lexington and a gator fan named Lee For Three.............I gotta say that is interesting. How did you avoid the big blue koolaid growing up? I do know a guy that grew up in Gville whose dad had season tix to all gator games and was a Dr on Staff at shands forever. He did go away to school at fsucks............and is a nole now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator