***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Butt-Chuggers***

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Good call on your part. Mullen's response to the question bears out your take:

Change at right tackle?
Florida’s Jean Delance had another rough game at right tackle, allowing a sack on quarterback Kyle Trask and getting beat on several plays.

He’s been the weak link on UF’s offensive line for the past two seasons, but continues to crack the starting lineup. According to Pro Football Focus, the right tackle position has allowed 32 pressures, 20 hurries, nine hits and three sacks this season.

Those stats where mentioned Saturday night when Mullen was asked if he has considered making a change at that spot.

“On the offensive line, we’ve had injuries. We’ve had problems that way, so probably not,” he said. “We’re trying to get our best guys on the field. I think that’s cool, PFF. I don’t know. The hard one to me, I think our sack came on a miscommunication on the quarterback.

Does Pro Football Focus know what play we called and that we missed the snap count? Not to take it that way. The statistic part is great in college football and in all of football. I love the statistic part, but there are also some other things that go into it that you look at. Once again, we’re always trying to have our best five on the field at the same time. We try to roll some guys in there to get them going and do what we can do.

Dan Mullen on coaching rumors, Brian Johnson's interview, Jean Delance

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good call on your part. Mullen's response to the question bears out your take:

Change at right tackle?
Florida’s Jean Delance had another rough game at right tackle, allowing a sack on quarterback Kyle Trask and getting beat on several plays.

He’s been the weak link on UF’s offensive line for the past two seasons, but continues to crack the starting lineup. According to Pro Football Focus, the right tackle position has allowed 32 pressures, 20 hurries, nine hits and three sacks this season.

Those stats where mentioned Saturday night when Mullen was asked if he has considered making a change at that spot.

“On the offensive line, we’ve had injuries. We’ve had problems that way, so probably not,” he said. “We’re trying to get our best guys on the field. I think that’s cool, PFF. I don’t know. The hard one to me, I think our sack came on a miscommunication on the quarterback.

Does Pro Football Focus know what play we called and that we missed the snap count? Not to take it that way. The statistic part is great in college football and in all of football. I love the statistic part, but there are also some other things that go into it that you look at. Once again, we’re always trying to have our best five on the field at the same time. We try to roll some guys in there to get them going and do what we can do.

Dan Mullen on coaching rumors, Brian Johnson's interview, Jean Delance

I can say that I have not heard one iota of Cousin Eddie being a candidate at Texas. Let me get this straight. This is a University who has as much money as they need to try and hire any coach they would like. The same school that was willing to pay Satan 10+ MIL a year and who almost took the job, the same school that is actively talking to Leyer behind the scenes for what I presume would be 10+ MIL a year, would actually consider a guy like Cousin Eddie. They hired a Cousin Eddie type in Tom Herman and look what they got. A guy who coached under Leyer, went to a smaller school as a HC, had moderate success and then landed a bigger job and has not put one trophy into a case. Somehow if Texas dips into the Cousin Eddie of talent pools it is b/c the Dabo's, Satan's and Leyer's all said NO and it won;t be for any 10+ MIL.

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
I can say that I have not heard one iota of Cousin Eddie being a candidate at Texas. Let me get this straight. This is a University who has as much money as they need to try and hire any coach they would like. The same school that was willing to pay Satan 10+ MIL a year and who almost took the job, the same school that is actively talking to Leyer behind the scenes for what I presume would be 10+ MIL a year, would actually consider a guy like Cousin Eddie. They hired a Cousin Eddie type in Tom Herman and look what they got. A guy who coached under Leyer, went to a smaller school as a HC, had moderate success and then landed a bigger job and has not put one trophy into a case. Somehow if Texas dips into the Cousin Eddie of talent pools it is b/c the Dabo's, Satan's and Leyer's all said NO and it won;t be for any 10+ MIL.
Agreed. Mullin isn't leaving UF for Texas. I'm not sure he'd go there even if offered an insane amount of money (e.g., $10M/yr).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always knew Sofla had dwaglove in his heart.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
It amazes me that people think this i an OL problem not a Dan Mullinz problem.

No amount of talent could fix this with Mullinz trying to run options w an non running QB.

Like it or not, CDM isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. And because of the pigheaded BS he keeps pulling with trying to pound a square peg (Trask) into a round hole (the RPO) I understand where you're frustration is coming from. I personally remain somewhat ambivalent about that situation - at least for the moment, due largely to the win over UGA. But please, try to remember your current bytch-fest narrative next year when DM returns to the "side-ways" passing game and the off-tackle QB dives and jet sweep running attack.

We'll be looking back at this current O as if it were the "golden age" of modern UF football - as the QB you said would never take a meaningful snap ascends to the hall of legends on the Mt. Olympus of Gator FB. I know your point is that DM is an idiotic turd who can't do anything right and that the only appropriate response is livid despair. But please, save some of that high dudgeon for next year when Big Head Todd is still on the sidelines and our offense sucks infinitely worse than it does now. After all, one must have something to look forward to.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
With the aggregate in mind, the program as a whole has definitely improved. I didnt mean to come off as negative as I was taken. I guess that is on me since a lot of people read it that way. From the time Dan Mullen's foot touched the tarmac in Gainesville, our program has improved. And its been a steady improvement every year.

However, the defense has gotten worse since that day. I really don't think it is debatable. And I am no recruitnik, but is it going to get better next year? Not only do we have a lack of depth at critical positions, its hard to not notice how lost our players look in their 9th game of the season. Im not worried at all about the offense next year. Even with losing Pitts and Trask. But can the defense get worse? A fourth year straight?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
With the aggregate in mind, the program as a whole has definitely improved. I didnt mean to come off as negative as I was taken. I guess that is on me since a lot of people read it that way. From the time Dan Mullen's foot touched the tarmac in Gainesville, our program has improved. And its been a steady improvement every year.

However, the defense has gotten worse since that day. I really don't think it is debatable. And I am no recruitnik, but is it going to get better next year? Not only do we have a lack of depth at critical positions, its hard to not notice how lost our players look in their 9th game of the season. Im not worried at all about the offense next year. Even with losing Pitts and Trask. But can the defense get worse? A fourth year straight?

Exactly...Not not just the talent.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

I agree with you. There is one caveat though, name any SEC defense this year (including Bama) that doesn't SUCK. I don't see any.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I agree with you. There is one caveat though, name any SEC defense this year (including Bama) that doesn't SUCK. I don't see any.

I don't really get the point here. I agree, SEC defenses are on decline this year. But, that is a red herring to the fact that our defense has gotten worse since Dan Mullen's foot touched the tarmac in Gainesville.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'm putting as good a face as I can on a bad situation by pointing out that all SEC fans are scratching their heads.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys really havent noticed that LSU cuuuntpunted Bammer last year and now everyone has finally realized forward passes are in fact legal?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Here's the thing. You have to score to win and this team can score. We had no chance against Bama in the Butters years, no chance. Warts and all, this team has a punchers chance. Dan is going to have to go all in on Trask. We're in the game because of Trask and the passing game. We need to pass, pass and pass some more and then hope we catch a break and get a turnover or two. Its a long shot for sure, but stranger things have happened. If we can go toe to toe with these guys for a while, they might tighten up. Nobody has punched them in the mouth this year. I look forward to seeing how they respond if we do.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. A&M was tied with them 14 all in the second Q after which Bama outscored them 38-10. Of note, we were also tied with A&M 14 all in the second Q after which A&M outscored us 27-24.

The dwags had a 24-17 lead in the second Q, Bama outscored them 24-0 from that point on.

Ole Miss was tied with Bama 21-21 in the 2nd Q, 35-35 in the 3rd, and 42-42 in the 4th. Bama outscored them 21-6 after the last tie.

As much as I wish it were true, the facts show they have had no problem turning it on when they had to. That is every time someone was able to challenge Bama, or even take a lead, they have responded by mud-stomping them to finish out the game. Admittedly, we have a better offense than those other teams but it looks to me like they have responded to adversity exactly how you would think they would. By owning the second half (or 4th Q in the Ole Miss example) and cruising to an easy victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.