Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Vanderbilt*** ETN likely out

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think we already know the answer to that question.
Maybe. I expected a win but I didn’t think we’d cover today. Didn’t think we’d crack 30 without a defensive score. I didn’t think Boardingham would be our leading receiver. I thought we’d kick - or at least attempt - more FGs.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I think the games where they don't have the on field mics on, or the press box open to hear the crowd, contributes to the ho hum feeling watching it on TV.
Am uga color guy and fsu play by play guy are not bringing energy to a Gator win. Just never going to happen. Only way those two would be energized was if Vandy pulled off an upset.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I liked that we finally spread the ball around. 10 players caught a pass and 7 of them caught at least 2. I love Pearson but locking in on him every pass was not an effective strategy.

Boardingham secured the TE position and proved to be a playmaker.

I would like to hear what’s up with Burke. I know he’s coming off an injury but he never seems to get targeted much despite showing flashes of potential. Also would like to see Jean be a bigger focus.

South Carolina and Arkansas are two must win games if we want to avoid a losing season. I hope we see a Tennessee game type intensity.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I want to know Durtys thoughts on the game
We looked and played the same as we usually do. Stupid mistakes, dumb penalties, lack of discipline, and ugly football regardless of outcome. I turned on the philly game in 3rd qtr and didn't give this one a second thought.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I liked that we finally spread the ball around. 10 players caught a pass and 7 of them caught at least 2.
How many of them caught one more than 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage? My guess, and I haven't reviewed it, is 3 players...and that was no more than 6 passes. This offense is middle school.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Wasn’t my favorite game, and still not exactly the pace I would like, but I actually like the win. I feel like last year. This game would’ve been a last second decision in the fourth, even at home. Maybe just beating teams at home has become the next step, and will have to move on to taking on road games.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Wasn’t my favorite game, and still not exactly the pace I would like, but I actually like the win. I feel like last year. This game would’ve been a last second decision in the fourth, even at home. Maybe just beating teams at home has become the next step, and will have to move on to taking on road games.
This all feels like fool's gold. We beat an SEC team. But really, it feels like a bad SEC team we really should have dominated. The game was never really in doubt after the first quarter...but did it really have that "we are back" feeling?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Say want ya’ll want, but we handed the Dors their worst loss of the season. Could have been way worse. They put 28 on Kentucky. We just need to figure out how to play away from the Swamp.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Boardingham is finally showing what the hype is about. It’s Vandy, but he made some good plays with sure catches and tough runs.

Mertz throws really well on the move. He throws like ass in the pocket. I don’t remember a qb who showed such contrast where it was his throws on the move that were more accurate. With our inconsistent OL, we should scheme a lot more moving pocket type plays.

Johnson got up gingerly a few times. There is definitely an ankle issue there and it could explain his form as of late. Webb got a chance to flash and he did. Show out now vs lesser opponents and you get your chance vs bigger fish down the line…

S and C ain’t getting it done when it comes to pass protection by the OL and consistent pressure by the DL when the opposing qb drops back. Mertz is getting rocked. Lack of interior push on DL is giving QBs time to go at our young secondary.

Thornton and Castell sound like a buddy cop duo from a tv show and I’m glad they are stepping up, but they are young and still taking their lumps. The teams we have left on our schedule have more big play threat than those we’ve played. It’s gonna be rough for these two. I hope they learn lessons they can improve on going into next season.

We’re still making bad mistakes and killing drives and momentum. And we’re still giving up big plays on defense despite overall improvement. You can get away with that in the sun belt and vs Vandy. That won’t fly against any of the remaining opponents.

True freshman Jackson could pass Marshall at CB opposite Kimber.

Props to Smack for rising to the occasion this season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'd just give my right nut for an intermediate passing game. The relentless 2-yard passes are frustrating as hell. I just can't believe we would be doing that over and over and over if we actually had a good QB. Mertz has a low ceiling, and we are bumping up against it. I think the goal is just to keep him from turning it over.

I think LongTooth is right, he's better on the run. So roll his ass out on every passing play, whatever it takes.

This UF team has been hideous on the road the last two years, we have to get out of that funk. PLEASE coaches don't let them start this next game like they just got out of bed 5 minutes earlier.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Say want ya’ll want, but we handed the Dors their worst loss of the season. Could have been way worse. They put 28 on Kentucky. We just need to figure out how to play away from the Swamp.
Exactly, and what I did like is that they did not panic or shyt the bed. This is a very young team so I can deal with the growth and lumps they're going through. This D is going to be special in the coming years. They need to grow up fast and get this road thing figured out.

I'd just give my right nut for an intermediate passing game. The relentless 2-yard passes are frustrating as hell. I just can't believe we would be doing that over and over and over if we actually had a good QB. Mertz has a low ceiling, and we are bumping up against it. I think the goal is just to keep him from turning it over.

I think LongTooth is right, he's better on the run. So roll his ass out on every passing play, whatever it takes.

This UF team has been hideous on the road the last two years, we have to get out of that funk. PLEASE coaches don't let them start this next game like they just got out of bed 5 minutes earlier.
I'm right there with you. Seeing that maybe Mertz is exactly that. Just don't do anything stupid and also have to give him props. He's taking a beating at times and doesn't quit. Maybe that helps us somewhere along the way. And with the OL and protection yes, roll him out to buy time. So UF has had two road games this year. One at night, one at noon. This one is middle afternoon. Whatever it is you're doing, change something. The Cock's are going to come out and try to punch you in the mouth and play Beamer Ball. Really hope they figure this out.

If you'd asked me at the beginning of the season at this point would you take 4-2. Yep, I would have. But it is a really different type of 4-2 feeling. But none the less, move on to the next game and hope for growth.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
While it’s difficult to get very excited by a ho-hum victory or Vandy, it was certainly a better win than I expected. As someone else mentioned, we seem to be a very different team at BHG than on the road.

There’s still a bunch to complain about, but I really can’t gripe too much when we win by 24 points. We are still a long way from being good, but other than Ugly, there’s no for sure losses on the rest of the schedule. (Tho if we can’t figure out how to play the same on the road as at home we may lose ‘em all.)

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Just a weird feeling game. Scored points and only allowed one real drive. Team certainly looked lifeless in the beginning and coaches need to figure out how to motivate the team.
These are trap games, you know, trap us into thinking we are improving. Both lines were iffy. Gotta give Mertz props for being tough as the OL is struggling with stunts and outside pressure. Our big DT seem to get gassed quickly. Not much pressure on the QB.
Agree on the mid range passing. They need plays where he is driving the ball when his back foot plants. The longer he thinks…. Get rid of the PA that takes his eyes off the safety.
Some of the young guys at WR are showing the flashes of speed we have been missing.
Watching dogs and cats, GA runs mid range plays to run off defenders creating big windows for Bowers. Could we do the same thing? Not sure if boardingham has the speed and most of those plays are passed 5 yards

Go Gators

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am fairly pleased with the performance yesterday. We clearly have a small margin for error the rest of the way but I did see improvement.

On a brighter note, I thoroughly enjoyed attending the game with my oldest son and my four year old grandson. He had a great time and he was very well behaved (unlike some of the fans nearby) and really got into the spirit of the game.

We made it until midway through the fourth quarter before he was starting to fade.
Very memorable experience for him but also for me. A very proud Double Gator Dad yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.