***Official Game Tread*** Florida vs Vanderbilt

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
After the game he said that he probably should have called a timeout after the pass inbounds because Allen was stuck in the corner
I said that in the box right after the game ended. Should have bailed him out with a timeout and drawn up a new play. Vandy played perfect defense on that final play.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when people used to say that Billy D was an awful in game coach too. That was until he won the 2 NCs...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when people used to say that Billy D was an awful in game coach too. That was until he won the 2 NCs...
We were OWNED and DESTROYED again today. 2nd time this year we've lost back to back.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well:

1. UF lost to a much inferior team today AT HOME.

2. White likely will not be fired after this season even if UF goes to the NIT again, in part because UF went to the NIT the first two years under Donvan.

3. Robinson score 12 points and grabbed 6 rebound against Vandy, so he is hardly in a funk.

4. Kornet is listed a 7'1" 250 lbs. Roberson is listed at 6'6' 224 lbs. So it is not like Vandy had no muscle, but UF needed to fight.

5. So far in his UF coaching career, whenever UF faces an opponent who really needs a win, but does not have enough fight to fight them off. There is no excuse for a coach who has never made the tourney to have a team come out so flat after tough road loss. They should have been ready to make up for that loss. This game was not lost one a missed free throw late or a defensive lapse late, or a missed shot late, this game was lost when this team did not get up by a significant margin against an inferior team. UF came out flat and let an inferior team hang around again and then often a break or a call can let such a game slip away.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
These Gators have a chemistry problem. You can see it in the time outs and during play when things aren't going well. They don't have each other's back. Not playing D or O as a team.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Not even the same situation. Kruger left UF without much talent at all. It was a clear total rebuild job that had to happen when Donovan took over so unless KY type recruiting was going on it wasn't going to be until that 3rd year that the big turnaround happened.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Win now or go home. Aint nobody got time for that..............Sh#T, Johnny Wooden woulda been shown the door long before he became the greatest, In fact he coached 9 years at UCLA and then had three really bad years before he became the Wizard of Westwood. Coaching is teaching. Most teachers need awhile to hit their stride. Experience and reflection are the key.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Win now or go home. Aint nobody got time for that..............Sh#T, Johnny Wooden woulda been shown the door long before he became the greatest, In fact he coached 9 years at UCLA and then had three really bad years before he became the Wizard of Westwood. Coaching is teaching. Most teachers need awhile to hit their stride. Experience and reflection are the key.

Problem is teaching seems to be White's weak point.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Back to John Wooden, one of my favorite subjects. I read all his books. He coached 17 years before he became what we know him for now. The 7 years before he won his first title were his worst, Lost an average of 10 games a year. Sometimes good things and EVEN great things take time to become apparent. Many here pride themselves on being the first to discover that sh**tttty, lousy or incompetent are apparent. It is like a competition. Im too old school for all this "give it to me now cause I aint got time". Im the one who ought to be bicchen cause I have less time than most of you. All I know is patience is a virtue but one of the hardest ones to embrace........maybe working with young kids for 38 years taught me that.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Call McCall! This team is poorly coached

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Whenever a team almost as good as these Gators plays stubbornly, this Gator team plays rudderlessly =
without coaching correction. We have enough fine athletes = K.Allen, DRob, K.Hill, C.Barry = for the
scaffolding of a solid team. One where we are the team that forces the other team to unwind, to collapse.
What these Gators are missing takes place in practice after practice = they are allowed to stay the same.

Zero improvement in individual skills (esp. Egbunu). There's no on-court "seeing" & exploiting any weakness
of the other team, there is no IQ-movement by players away from the ball. We are being "faced down" on the
inside, such that our players are not creating shots but jacking up shots like they have no idea of what else to do.
That "else" should be pre-instilled via practice drills-drills directed by Gator coaches.

It does not look like these Gators are having fun. That's because they do not know how to conquer a worthy
challenger. Facing that challenge puts them in a funk, a flunk-funk. There is no coaching showing up in their play.

IDK, but I would have built this team around 2 guards : Barry & Allen. (Make a leader, ball handling guard out of Barry.) No one can convince me that Barry could not by far outperform Chiozza.
By that White could have "grown" a problem solving team with a high BBall IQ leader. Around senior
leadership the youngsters can be channeled toward heightened teamworking skills to take over leadership when those seniors graduate. That is the highly paid $ job required of career coaches.
All days' waking hours 24/7 such thinking with applications should produce stronger results from
our athletes ... stronger results for our coaches' job security.

Kentucky blasting us will show how unready this team is.
Our coaching is preparing us to be unready.!! That's so coo-coo for a UF BBall team.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well just a week ago we were singing the praises of his def. and other things..........are we fickle or are they bi polar?

The problem is when we have the ball. Its basically street ball much of the time it appears with a bunch of guys that aren't good at street ball.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So Mike White is John Wooden now? :facepalm:
No. But at the rate we propose to make our coaching a revolving door we will never have time to find out if a coach can do the job as well as good ones do. But hey, I guess it is the sitcom version of life where all is well in 30 min, OR YOU'RE FIRED............that new world I alluded to.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We weren't OWNED and DESTROYED. We barely lost. I can't believe we ONLY got to the free throw line 8 times. I don't know how many more times we are going to see Hill and Allen knocked to the floor and out of bounds and NO CALL for us. Happens at least twice a game and no free throws for us. We do have to play better D in that 2nd half. Can't give up 41 points.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I watched (it was actually on CBS nationally). :headslap:
It was frustrating to say the least.
3 points:
1. We looked like crap, for all the reasons pointed out above, but our guys just don't seem to play as a 'team'.
2. Vandy shot the 3 well when they needed to down the stretch - brutal.
3. The refs were crap - double brutal.
That is all.
:bart:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't watch so I can't judge, but it's my opinion, that we strolled into this game like we do a lot believing we just needed to show up and would easily beat this Vandy team.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I didn't watch so I can't judge, but it's my opinion, that we strolled into this game like we do a lot believing we just needed to show up and would easily beat this Vandy team.

Yep, much like UAL last year and Vandy at home last year sometimes these guys just take some games for granted.

BTW, by position is UF's stats yesterday were:

PG: 43 min, 5 points, 3 rebounds, 9 assists and 4 turnovers (Hill and Chiozza)
SG: 36 min, 29 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists and turnovers (Allen)
F: 82 min, 24 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 rebounds (Robinson, Leon, Barry and Stone)
C: 38 min, 8 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block and 6 turnovers (Egbunu and Hayes)

BTW, does anyone know why Stone played so little yesterday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.