Gator Basketball ***Official Offseason Thread BBALL*** Top 50 Overall Guard Alex Lloyd Commits

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
As we close out the regular season and head into unknown depths with SEC and NCAA tourneys...let's look at who we get rid of, and who we are expecting to gain next season.

Current 23-24 roster:
SR:
Tyrese Samuel F 6' 10" 239 lbs
Julian Rishwain G 6' 5" 200 lbs
Zyon Pullin G 6' 4" 206 lbs
Alex Klatsky G 6' 4" 206 lbs
EJ Jarvis F 6' 8" 240 lbs
Bennett Andersen G 6' 2" 190 lbs
JR:
Will Richard G 6' 4" 206 lbs
Jack May G 6' 4" 195 lbs
Walter Clayton Jr. G 6' 2" 195 lbs
SO:
Aleks Szymczyk F 6' 10" 250 lbs
Riley Kugel G 6' 5" 207 lbs
Micah Handlogten C 7' 1" 235 lbs
Denzel Aberdeen G 6' 5" 190 lbs
FR:
Kajus Kublickas G 6' 2" 171 lbs
Cooper Josefsberg G 6' 4" 195 lbs - walk on, practice material
Thomas Haugh F 6' 9" 210 lbs
Alex Condon F 6' 11" 230 lbs

Current 24-25 Class (per On3):
Isaiah Brown SG 6' 4" 170 lbs 3* (90.94 On3 ranking)
Olivier Rioux C 7' 6" 275 lbs (unranked)

We are top heavy with SRs for 23-24, but the only impact we will feel is losing Samuel & Pullin. Rishwain and Jarvis may have had some expectations this past year, but I consider replacing them as an obvious plus since neither contributed this season. Andersen is part of the scout team, so I wouldn't count him as any gain or loss, those bodies are always present in the program but not game players. Net from this year we are losing two forwards (Samuel with experience and leadership, dependability; Jarvis was never a factor having left the program early on), and four guards (Pullin was THE ball handler and a dependable player for scoring and assists, low turnover ration; Rishwain was a non-factor, and barring medical is out of eligibility; and two scout team players in Klatsky and Andersen).

Frontcourt will have returning experience in Handlogten (SO), as well as Condon (FR) and Haugh (FR). We will also see what Szymczyk (SO) can bring to the court having a year under Golden while recovering from torn ACL+MCL+PCL. Expecting Szymczk and incoming Rioux to make up for Samuel's presence is probably asking too much of them. We'll have the bodies, but can they fill in rotation like the rest of the bigs have this season? Do we need to lean on some transfers again in this area?

Replacing Pullin in the back court is a HUGE ask of anyone. The current roster offers up Aberdeen (SO) and Kublickas (FR), neither of which got a lot of exposure handling the ball other than Aberdeen in spotty close out minutes. I'm not looking to Richard (JR), Clayton Jr (JR), or Kuegel (SO) to carry that load - only Clayton has anything close to ball handling skills and even that was iffy through the season as he's is much more of a spot up 3pt shooting guard. His decision making is questionable when he isn't pulling the trigger. While Kublickas brings a reputation for good ball handling, I strongly suspect we get 1-2 transfers in to try and fill the void of Pullin leaving.

The bad news...some of the players who caused us fans angst over the season (Kuegel, Richard, and sometimes Clayton) are returning. Maybe Golden can break some of their bad habits, but he's had two years to do it and results are uninspiring that he can change them. The good news... only losing 2 players of importance, but having about 4 roster spots to fill with recruits and transfers combined with Golden's ability to identify and bring in talent, gives us hope that we don't see a drop off. Who knows, maybe we'll actually see the program take that next step forward and upward.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we'll have at least 4 scholarships open up from the seniors, but I would expect some other changes with the way things go now with NIL and the portal.

Kugel could always blame Golden for his rough year and bolt. Would interesting to know here the NIL specifics as we almost certainly overpaid this year and I have no idea whether we could reel that back.

Then you have the 2 foreigners in Kublai Khan and the German kid that might not want to spend that much time riding the pine thousands of miles from home.

Aberdeen is another guy that could get either worked out or decide to leave for more minutes elsewhere.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Transfers: Kugel, Aberdeen

Pullin making 1st team all-SEC can be taken into recruiting the portal for the next PG. We need another big man as well.

Potential contributors next season: Don't count out Kublickas. He is talented but raw. There was always going to be a period of adjustment for him. Isaiah Brown can score and will be an immediate upgrade from Kugel. Even if Kugel returns, he will lose minutes to this kid and remain on the bench.

This staff has done an outstanding job in scouting. I trust their judgment heading into the offseason.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Good news is we have a core of Micah, Haugh and Condon to build around. Maybe the Euro guard will surprise and hopefully there’s some solid white transfers we can target.

:lol:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Black players to the NAACP after that NIL check...

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Good news is we have a core of Micah, Haugh and Condon to build around. Maybe the Euro guard will surprise and hopefully there’s some solid white transfers we can target.

As the article states “Remember that this is not about politics…..”
Of course not, who would even think such a thing?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Does Cream Abdul Jabbar have any eligibility left?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Hopefully this NAACP boycott will be as effective as the travel boycott they called for a year ago.
Florida had a record year for tourism last year so…..

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Pay a decent NIL, make deep runs in the tournament, and get players to the league and you won’t have anything to worry about with this supposed boycott.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The Kugel is not returning and who would want him to return anyway? I have no interest in a guy playing for a team I root for who shows such little interest in trying while on the floor. For all the mistakes Aberdeen might have made when he did play, sans in the SEC tourney, he looked like he was trying and wanted to make good plays, though he pressed himself into bad decisions. The Kugel was lazy his entire time on the floor except when he had the ball in his hands and then that usually ended in a turnover. I recommend the Kugel take his "talents" overseas to one of the lesser professional leagues and get paid a few Turkish Lira or Greek Drachma (trust me he ain't worth no stinkin'Euro)

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can’t see him coming back but I’ve seen nothing other than speculation.
Hard to see, but I don't know exactly how these NIL deals work. I'm guessing we are paying him way more than he's worth and I don't know what either party's rights are to get out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.