Ohio State - Indiana

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Indianas QB is ballin!! Hope Franks is watching this and can do something similar

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That's probably game with that TD

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I do not put a lot of credence into opening games, although this was a conference game, so it carried weight. I agree that OSU looked disjointed, especially on offense. Both teams seemed to care about running as many offensive plays as possible over executing at a high level. To IU's credit, they chose to basically just run WR's straight down the field an throw back shoulder or 50-50 balls, which for the most part worked. But that is what football has become, 50-50 balls. Not many teams running route combos anymore. Not sure why it took OSU so long to try zone coverage, but they seemed to have some success when they did. I am not ready to write off OSU as a contender, but they clearly have a lot to clean up offensively if they want to live up to their ranking.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I do not put a lot of credence into opening games, although this was a conference game, so it carried weight. I agree that OSU looked disjointed, especially on offense. Both teams seemed to care about running as many offensive plays as possible over executing at a high level. To IU's credit, they chose to basically just run WR's straight down the field an throw back shoulder or 50-50 balls, which for the most part worked. But that is what football has become, 50-50 balls. Not many teams running route combos anymore. Not sure why it took OSU so long to try zone coverage, but they seemed to have some success when they did. I am not ready to write off OSU as a contender, but they clearly have a lot to clean up offensively if they want to live up to their ranking.

They won by 28 points!

It was a road, Thursday NIGHT game vs. a conference opponent!

This reminds me of a quote that an old man told me once, "As you grow older you will learn that one of the least important things in life is the score of a football game at halftime."

Last year, National Champion Clemson, went to overtime against NC State...they beat Troy 30-24...TROY!!!! They lost to Pitt....and beat a mediocre Auburn team 19-13.

Yeah, I'd say it's safe to not "write off OSU" after a 28 point road conference win.....

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
They won by 28 points!

It was a road, Thursday NIGHT game vs. a conference opponent!

This reminds me of a quote that an old man told me once, "As you grow older you will learn that one of the least important things in life is the score of a football game at halftime."

Last year, National Champion Clemson, went to overtime against NC State...they beat Troy 30-24...TROY!!!! They lost to Pitt....and beat a mediocre Auburn team 19-13.

Yeah, I'd say it's safe to not "write off OSU" after a 28 point road conference win.....

I understand what you are saying, but you in a way support my way of thinking and what I say all the time. I do not just look at final scores and/or stats to determine what I think of a team. Yes they won by 28 on road against a conference opponent. All very good things. But looking under the hood, they had issues. But it was game 1, and lots of time to improve. But if those under the hood problems persist against better teams, then they will not be a contender. Your points about Clemson are valid and it appears they played strictly to their competition last year and usually that is not a good recipe, but did not keep them from winning last year. I know you can't blow out every opponent or even win every game, but I like looking at the whole picture. Looking under the hood of UF under Butters is why I have no confidence in him b/c of the quality of play I have seen the past 2 years regardless of record and results.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I understand what you are saying, but you in a way support my way of thinking and what I say all the time. I do not just look at final scores and/or stats to determine what I think of a team. Yes they won by 28 on road against a conference opponent. All very good things. But looking under the hood, they had issues. But it was game 1, and lots of time to improve. But if those under the hood problems persist against better teams, then they will not be a contender. Your points about Clemson are valid and it appears they played strictly to their competition last year and usually that is not a good recipe, but did not keep them from winning last year. I know you can't blow out every opponent or even win every game, but I like looking at the whole picture. Looking under the hood of UF under Butters is why I have no confidence in him b/c of the quality of play I have seen the past 2 years regardless of record and results.

Good points FF.....and thanks for responding like a grown man instead of getting upset w/ my comments.

Another thing to consider, Ohio State.....like Alabama, FSU, pre-2010 UF, Clemson, etc generally get every opponent they play's A-game (the opponent comes ready to play, wanting to knock off the King of the Hill). Alabama has a lot of close games going into the late 2nd quarter/early 3rd quarter. By then, talent, depth, and coaching kick in...and the other team's adrenaline has worn off and the better team usually runs away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.