OJ Simpson set to be released in July

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And GWB graduated from Harvard, with honors I believe, but you still think hes a bumbling buffoon. And then there's old "go gata"... we could go on all day.

Without getting into a political spat, lets just agree that a degree from a good school means next to nothing as far as actual sense goes these days. Wilbon is a complete fool and embarrassment.
I readily concede that W is a smart guy, he was just a terrible speaker and POTUS. :lol:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
If you haven't seen the series "OJ: Made in America" make sure you check it out. Some of the jury members openly admit the verdict was payback to whites for the Rodney King acquittals.
It was also super dumb to tie them up for over a year without seeing family or even going home to walk the dog. If they had zero foresight to realize you were going to exhaust the jury the fault is strictly on the system. I know it's the law but it's super dumb.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You missed the whole part about books and articles, didn't you? I had a criminal justice class in college that did a pretty lengthy study on this case. Cochran lawyered circles around Clark and her team. It was Bama vs. Charleston Southern. I agree the jury was biased, but who was responsible for the jury selections?

Am I only allowed to know about things that have happened in my adult lifetime?

Well let this be a lesson to you. Don't believe everything you're taught. Apparently you walked out of the class thinking that he got off because he had good lawyers. That had nothing to do with it. Once the race card was played (or as others have said the jury was selected) it was over.
There was no convincing that needed to be done because that jury was going to find an excuse. The jury obviously didn't weigh the evidence. Cochran rolled out defense 101; question chain of evidence, check; question crime scene contamination, check; question DNA, check. They had no defense other than OJ was black and that's the only thing the jury considered. I will give Cochran credit for portraying OJ as black though because he was the whitest black man in America at the time.

And yes, experience trumps book knowledge every time.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And GWB graduated from Harvard, with honors I believe, but you still think hes a bumbling buffoon. And then there's old "go gata"... we could go on all day.

Without getting into a political spat, lets just agree that a degree from a good school means next to nothing as far as actual sense goes these days. Wilbon is a complete fool and embarrassment.
Are you talking about garner Webb? Gtfo

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I will give Cochran credit for portraying OJ as black though because he was the whitest black man in America at the time.
If there's one thing OJ wanted to be, it was white. All his friends were white. His wife was white. Even his friggin' dog was white.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
What's the difference between OJ Simpson and Peyton Manning?

OJ Simpson drove a slow, white Bronco.

Peyton Manning was a slow white Bronco.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well let this be a lesson to you. Don't believe everything you're taught. Apparently you walked out of the class thinking that he got off because he had good lawyers. That had nothing to do with it. Once the race card was played (or as others have said the jury was selected) it was over.
There was no convincing that needed to be done because that jury was going to find an excuse. The jury obviously didn't weigh the evidence. Cochran rolled out defense 101; question chain of evidence, check; question crime scene contamination, check; question DNA, check. They had no defense other than OJ was black and that's the only thing the jury considered. I will give Cochran credit for portraying OJ as black though because he was the whitest black man in America at the time.

And yes, experience trumps book knowledge every time.
And once again, who picked the jury? The lawyers. The prosecution had every opportunity to make the jury less black, but they screwed that up from the start, along with a myriad of other things throughout the trial.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And once again, who picked the jury? The lawyers. The prosecution had every opportunity to make the jury less black, but they screwed that up from the start, along with a myriad of other things throughout the trial.
Credit where credit is due. The race card worked. But once that was played even I could have got him acquitted. Could the prosecution have fought harder about who was on the Jury? At the end of the day you can only object so much. And I doubt objecting to a juror because they are black would have succeeded. In any case there was so much evidence that jury selection shouldn't have been an issue.
You characterized this first as money, then as clever lawyering. Cochran didn't even mention race in the opening arguments. I'm not convinced he even knew he was going there until later. He led with "rush to judgement" i..e the police just wanted to close the case with the first suspect. And claimed to have an alibi - but that went nowhere in the trial. Then of course the usually litany of items when you have no defense.

Again the jury wasn't sitting there weighing evidence. It didn't matter how well the case was prosecuted or defended

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And once again, who picked the jury? The lawyers.
Game. Set. Match. But it wasnt jury selection, per se, that killed them but rather the prosecutors crazily trying the case downtown instead of where it occurred. This was some soft of insane political decision made by the elected prosecutor who apparently was concerned about trying OJ where he lived (which would likely be a very rich and mostly white jury).

Ive read that even the state's own jury consultants warned the case would be difficult with the mindsets of the local African Americans.

Long before Mark Fuhrman was impeached for denying saying a word that during that trial became the "N word" the media was reporting that their own polls said LA blacks felt OJ shouldnt be given a guilty verdict no matter what evidence came forth.

Johnny Cockroach's opening about an alibi witness (an outright lie) is normally a fatal error, and spending tortuous hours going absolutely no where with most witnesses usually really pisses off the jury, except when the jury has already made up her mind before the trial started.

It was far from great lawyering, but it was certainly good enough.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
:eek: Would you have lowered O.J.s sentence if he was convicted due to her getting what she deserved?
That was my opinion of what the jurors felt, not my personal feelings. Quite the contrary, I wished she'd had killed him on the spot with a gun the minute she saw him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Like him or not, Cochran was brilliant in that trial, especially with the glove, made Marcia Moley Clark and Chris Darden look like the amateurs that they were. Fuhrman perjuring himself didn't help matters either.

The failure of the prosecutors to ask one simple question during the trial was in my view the problem, not the glove, not Cochran, not Fuhrman. That question that should have been the last question on redirect of every single person in the change of evidence is, Could any mishandling of the evidence have caused the blood you handled to change DNA from that of someone else to the DNA profile of Mr. Simpson.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I had forgot about them moving the trial. Again another fairly common defense move and in the case I'll argue that any defense lawyer would have requested it and given the political climate would have got it.

Sas you opened with OJ got off because of his high priced attorneys:
For anyone who doesn't think money rules the judicial system, this guy has murdered two people and committed armed robbery only to serve 9 total years in prison.

Then doubled down with the defense outlawyerd the prosecution:
Some of the best and worst lawyering in history happened in that trial.

Then tripled down citing the class you took:
You missed the whole part about books and articles, didn't you? I had a criminal justice class in college that did a pretty lengthy study on this case. Cochran lawyered circles around Clark and her team. It was Bama vs. Charleston Southern. I agree the jury was biased, but who was responsible for the jury selections?

And finally quadrupled down with Jury selection:

And yet Cohran mounted a textbook race case that even Jose Baez couldn't have f'd up. You seem to understand that now because you've backed off your OJ argument to the generic argument:
You really don't think the rich are at a heavy advantage in the judicial system?

That's an argument for a different thread. OJ was acquitted for one reason and one reason only. The blacks on that jury needed to acquit OJ; for pride, for revenge, for hatred. No matter how it's spun on TV or in the classroom that's all it came down to.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sas you opened with OJ got off because of his high priced attorneys
Everything that happened in that trial for OJ happened because he could afford Cochran. You think he gets acquitted if he's some regular poor black guy with a public defender? Hell no! He'd still be in prison and wouldn't be getting out.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Everything that happened in that trial for OJ happened because he could afford Cochran. You think he gets acquitted if he's some regular poor black guy with a public defender? Hell no! He'd still be in prison and wouldn't be getting out.
I don't necessarily agree. Even a crappy public defender would have played the race card. You think Johnny Cochran was the only one who would have thought to play it? The jury WANTED to acquit OJ. I think the prosecution sucked, but they really had no chance even if they were good.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

LOL. Keep changing the parameters of your argument. The thread is about OJ, not some random dude.
All other things being equal yes even a public defender could have gotten an acquittal. That's my point. It had nothing to do with the quality of the defense. Even a public defender would have got the trial moved - the court was willing to bend over backwards as to not appear racist. You act is if jury selection was tricky and needed high priced consultants. It didn't. The trial was all about the race card and nothing else.

Since your argument is that OJ got off because of his high priced defense attorneys just ask yourself if OJ would have been acquitted had he been white. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't have got an acquittal. It was race and celebrity* that freed OJ.

*Let's take your hypothetical one step further though. What if the defendant wasn't famous? What if he were a regular rich black guy. He still gets Cochran who you argue is why he got acquitted. Cochran's high priced lawyering most certainly would have got the trial moved and the jury loaded. And money wold have bought all the same legal assistants and experts and consultants. But the defense wouldn't have got an acquittal. The evidence was overwhelming and Cochran presented nothing substantive to counter. The jury would have viewed the defendant as a sell out, an Uncle Tom. Being rich would have worked against him. The jury needed someone famous to make a statement.

Bottom line OJ got off because he was a black celebrity. Not because he had a high priced attorney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.