Oklahoma fires defensive coordinator Mike Stoops

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I wonder how much they would be willing to offer Grantham to bring him on board, if he is even on their radar.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The way every team in the Big 12 plays defense they should all be fired. The Big 12's motto should be, Where playing defense is considered rude.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a good article on the Athletic website about this, saying that Riley is basically putting his final stamp on "his" program (getting rid of the last Stoops).

Here's an excerpt from the article....Stoops should have been canned a long time ago:

The once-vaunted Oklahoma defense has been only occasionally good and mostly below-average since Mike Stoops returned to Norman following his eight-year run as Arizona’s coach. There have been utterly disastrous performances, like a 2012 win at West Virginia, where Tavon Austin — playing his first game at running back — rushed for 344 yards and the Mountaineers racked up 778 total yards of offense. There was a 2016 win at Texas Tech in which the Red Raiders racked up a staggering 854 yards of total offense. There was last season’s 54-48 overtime loss in the Rose Bowl to Georgia, when the Bulldogs averaged over nine yards per rush.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So I guess this is akin to Gun's & Roses firing their drummer. What in the hell do you have to do to get fired from the band? So the parallel here is just what in the hell do you need to do to get fired as the DC in that conference short of giving co-eds rides on the back of your scooter and then wrecking it?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
There was a stat given during the OU-Texas game, that all year, the sooners had only stopped three 3rd down conversions of 3 yards or less

Lots of 3s in that sentence, but that is garbage 3rd down D

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The way every team in the Big 12 plays defense they should all be fired. The Big 12's motto should be, Where playing defense is considered rude.

Well then perhaps all the bad SEC head coaches should be exiled to the Big 12 as DCs. Of course I enjoy them here making the SEC easier for anyone who actually tries on offense.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Good, means he will be available when F$U shytcans Taggart

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Sources: Oklahoma parts ways with DC Stoops

Hell, I had no idea they even employed a DC all these years.

Discuss.
I could swear I heard an announcer mention this weekend that Bobby Stoops is playing the Ambassador for Kentucky role these days for his brother. Maybe they can make room for Mike as an assistant ambassador.
I figure some of their newfound prowess at football might have been be gleaned from that little nugget.

I have lived in Oklahoma and visited all of Kentucky and can totally understand how that can happen.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
When I heard this, I made me wonder if Bob was covering for his brother helping him scheme defensively.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
When I heard this, I made me wonder if Bob was covering for his brother helping him scheme defensively.

It makes sense for the legendary HBC to hang his visor in Gainesville , but for a high caliber coach such as Bobby hangs his hat at Kentucky with his bro... might explain things. Not to say I could blame them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator