OL Starting Five Set

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wasn’t McCoy recovering from surgery and missed Spring ball? If so, maybe he’s still recovering and getting up to speed? He was always a little undersized as well, so maybe the new staff likes the heavier Buchanan more?

Buchanan is actually lighter than McCoy, but quite a bit (291 vs 305....and Buchanan is 2 inches taller)....and Buchanan was in the 280's last year - if the roster was/is accurate (which I doubt - but some smarter than me on here think having an updated roster is meaningless).

@Swamp Donkey I think Heggie will be back in the lineup quickly and he'll "learn" the system quickly. The guy is hands down the best OL on the team.....he ain't riding the bench behind Fred Johnson and Tyler Jordan.

I want to see Chris Bleich get some action. Dude is huge!!

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Clearly this is not true. This team can win 10 games with a terrible OL as we have seen 2 of the last 3 years. What is true is that for this team to have a good offense, for Mullen to have done his job and improved the offense, for this team to be competitive for a championship rather than just competitive to win 10 games, the OL group must play much better.

Cmon man. We were 10-4, 9-4 and 4-7. Facts matter. The East is presently better than 2015 and 2016.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Whichever 5 O-Linemen are on the field at any one time, the quality of play will have to drastically improve from the previous 3 years for this team to have a chance to be reasonably competitive. with that said, how is it that Fred Johnson can still be a starter? Forget it I know the answer. it was a facetious question!

I can't find it now, but I swear I remember reading somewhere that Johnson was basically playing for the majority of the year through an injury that was limiting his mobility. He was only out there because as bad as it was supposedly the back up was worse.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How the hell does a guy on the Remington watch list end up as 3rd string on this online?

Because a 'watch list' organization just looks at returning starters, and they assume he's going to start again. They release a cut down list 4 or 5 games into the season and then a final 3 (or so) about 8-9 games into the season.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Keep people fresh, and allow guys with nagging injuries to sit some. Often times guys playing with a slight injuries tend to get themselves hurt even more.

You need 8, best to have 10 who can actually play.

I’m trying to remember what year it was that we’d actually put in a full second string unit for a series that could play well. Long time ago, maybe pre-Spurrier.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I’m trying to remember what year it was that we’d actually put in a full second string unit for a series that could play well. Long time ago, maybe pre-Spurrier.

Well, if you count the 5 that are starting right now, then you have Heggie & McCoy with significant playing time and starts. Plus Harkless made 3 starts last year and then you add in the newcomers and we'll probably find one or two more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Under SOS, we often had the backups in, sometimes as early as late in the 3rd quarter. Hed usually substitute just a handful of players at a time, not all 11.

Im pretty sure we started 4 backups on the OL in Trashahassee in 1996.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Fred is huge but too slow afoot.

Correct me if I’m wrong - I know someone(s) will - but doesn’t Mullen like the “road grader” type interior guys and quicker tackles? I remember being shocked at how quickly Trautwein could pull around the right side of the line. I’m wondering if Mullen’s offense will simplify his assignments, allowing him to get where he’s going and move people. Less pulling, more thump would seem to suit him. He is a bigun.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This was the 2nd team OL in today's practice:

Forsythe, Bleich, Villano, Harkless, Banks

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Villano? The bearded beast of a walkon?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Villano? The bearded beast of a walkon?

Yep. He skipped a few shotgun snaps.

This was the 3rd line....and Goldkamp said it was "atrocious":

Gourauge, McDowell, McCoy, Moore and Delance.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Because a 'watch list' organization just looks at returning starters, and they assume he's going to start again. They release a cut down list 4 or 5 games into the season and then a final 3 (or so) about 8-9 games into the season.

Yeah, but the guy was one of the few consistent guys prior to getting hurt last year. I just can't see how he goes from starter to 3rd string. Maybe the injury is still slowing him.

I want to see Chris Bleich get some action. Dude is huge!!
If that guy has a lick of talent he's going to be a monster.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, but the guy was one of the few consistent guys prior to getting hurt last year. I just can't see how he goes from starter to 3rd string. Maybe the injury is still slowing him.

If that guy has a lick of talent he's going to be a monster.

Bleich is my favorite freshman!

McCoy was on the 3rd team today, behind the walk-on Villano. Not sure what the deal is, but he'll be a reliable back-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator