crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To countless people, the clip isn’t necessarily associated with the name Kerwin Bell.

Instead, it’s “that guy who spiked a football into his own groin, then gets pushed by an opponent,” a GIF so hilarious that we recently named it the GOAT sports GIF.

bY1Ys.gif

But that poor guy is Kerwin Bell. He’s now the head coach at Division II Valdosta State in Georgia, and he absolutely doesn’t mind talking about the play that’s followed him around for nearly two decades.

In October of 2000, as a quarterback for the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts, Bell faced his former team, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, with a shot at a playoff spot. In the first half, he saw nine yards of daylight and an end zone in front of him, and the not-so-fleet-of-foot QB found paydirt, a rare rushing touchdown.

Bell got up and saw his ex-teammate, cornerback Juran Bolden, so he decided to celebrate the score by jumping in front of Bolden and spiking the ball between his legs.

“My competitiveness and the way I played the game got the best of me at that moment,” Bell remembered in an interview with For The Win this week. “I was just sort of playing around and talking trash. But it didn’t turn out quite the way I expected it.”

Instead, Bell nailed himself in the groin and Bolden gave him a push, with the QB landing on another opponent. Bell’s only thought at that moment?

“I was upset that I got a flag,” he said. “I actually got hit with the ball and by Juran. They got me for taunting or whatever it was for.”

Back then, there was no YouTube or Twitter to make the clip instantaneously go viral. But there was TSN, which Bell said ran the highlight “night and day for a week.”

“I realized that it was something that was going to last the rest of my life,” he said.
As the years went by, he would get phone calls while in his native Florida when ESPN ran its list of the worst celebrations of all time.

But that certainly hasn’t fazed Bell, especially after the career he’s had.

Bell grew up on a 200-acre tobacco farm in Mayo, a “one red-light town” in Florida. When he left Mayo-Lafayette High School without a football scholarship, he walked-on to the University of Florida’s team and reported he was the eighth-string quarterback in 1983. A year later, thanks to teammates’ injuries and other factors, he was the starter, and in 1987, he finished his collegiate career with 7,585 yards passing and 56 touchdowns with some rumbles about Heisman candidacy along the way. At the time, he was the all-time leading passer in Gators history.

When the Dolphins took him 180th overall in the 7th round of the 1988 NFL Draft, he thought he’d be “the next Dan Marino.” It was quite the opposite — Bell became a journeyman, joining other NFL teams before he was cut. Eventually, he’d play in the World League and the CFL before he’d join the Indianapolis Colts in 1996. It was then that he’d get to live out his NFL dream for one game before heading back to the CFL for the eventual Groin Shot Seen ‘Round the World.

His chance in the NFL came when starter Jim Harbaugh went down with an injury in a December contest against the Philadelphia Eagles. Bell stepped in for his only NFL game and went 5-for-5 with a touchdown pass, the football equivalent of “Moonlight” Graham. That means he had a perfect quarterback ranking of 158.3, putting him at the top of the record books (if you’re discounting that he’s only thrown five passes in total).

“I always tell people you can always make your life look good,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of failures, but if you say it the right way, it seems pretty good. I was a four-year starter in college, in Hall of Fame there. I was the all-time leading passer there. I’m the all-time leader in quarterback rating and I’m in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

Ah, yes. How could we forget? While touring the Hall in 1996 when the Colts visited, Bell’s teammates spotted his helmet and photo on a wall as part of an exhibit on “inventions of the game.” Because Bell was the first person to wear a helmet cam during a World League game, he landed in Canton.

His coaching career had a more conventional path: While rehabbing a knee injury in 1990, he was a graduate assistant for Steve Spurrier during the Ol’ Ball Coach’s first year at Florida, eventually working his way up to coach at Jacksonville University before joining the Blazers in 2016.

That clip of his failed celebration, however, isn’t something he hides from as a coach.

“When I’m recruiting guys, sometimes I’ll bring that up,” he said. “I’ll say, ‘Hey check me out.’ They don’t know who you are, they don’t know you played ball and sometimes it makes a connection for those guys. You can show them the lighter side of you and show some of your faults as a person and as a player. They’ll text me and let me know they enjoyed it. I use it to break the ice.”

He’s not totally against excessive touchdown celebrations, either. On the 15th day of spring practice, he tells the referees to stuff their yellow hankies away and informs his players that he wants to see their best celebrations of a score. And, yes, of course he brings up his viral moment that’s still being mentioned today.

“I think in life, you make mistakes,” he said. “All those things in life are a part of you. You own up to it. It wasn’t a very intelligent play.”

“I always tell kids: It’s not always the smartest guy or the best looking guy,” he added later. “It’s about the guy who’s willing to fail and not be afraid to fail.”
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/bes...osta-state-coach-colts-dolphins-florida-video

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kerwin is a great Gator. It's a shame the current generation of young fans have no clue who he is. Hell, many don't know who Emmitt is!

Thanks for sharing. I hope he kicks ass at Valdosta State. I'm not sure if he'll ever land a bigger job (like Chris Hatcher, who is a VSU legend - player and coach). But I'm sure, with his drive and background, he'd be successful no matter where he landed. You'd think a school like Southern Miss, Troy, ECU, etc would take a shot at him. Hell, Nussmeier - with no head coaching experience - was rumored to turn down Southern Miss because it didn't pay enough.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for posting Cooter. That is one of my all time favorites and laugh my ass off whenever I see it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin is a great Gator. It's a shame the current generation of young fans have no clue who he is. Hell, many don't know who Emmitt is!

Thanks for sharing. I hope he kicks ass at Valdosta State. I'm not sure if he'll ever land a bigger job (like Chris Hatcher, who is a VSU legend - player and coach). But I'm sure, with his drive and background, he'd be successful no matter where he landed. You'd think a school like Southern Miss, Troy, ECU, etc would take a shot at him. Hell, Nussmeier - with no head coaching experience - was rumored to turn down Southern Miss because it didn't pay enough.

Turned down Auburn OC about 7 years ago, because it was too far from Florida. He is picky when it comes to jobs... he was offered a few while at JU.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Turned down Auburn OC about 7 years ago, because it was too far from Florida. He is picky when it comes to jobs... he was offered a few while at JU.

Yeah, I think he'd take an SEC OC job but he likes being a head coach. And honestly, w/ his background, he's ready to be a D1 head coach. If he's worried about being "too far from Florida" then he's limited. His kids are grown now, so he may be open to moving to one of the southeast states, but there really aren't too many options. I could see him taking one of the bigger 1AA schools like Elon, Citadel, JMU (if he'd move to Virginia), etc. He could end up at Georgia Southern, but Chris Hatcher didn't work out well there so they may not want another VSU coach.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's some game action where he doesn't spike the ball into his junk.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin was a great Gator and a legend in Gator history, not to mention being a really good guy.

The only negative I have is really about his family more so than him. In 1987 when the Gators were struggling and we were finishing the season in Gainesville against the noles. Kerwin was on the brink of passing John Reaves to become the passing leader in school history.

His family sat right behind us in the East stands and they were cheering profusely for Kerwin. In the 3rd quarter, Kerwin completed a pass that made it official and his family went nuts, and deservedly so. Unfortunately, two minutes later they grabbed their stuff and left even though the game was very much in doubt. We ultimately won the game but I never forgot this since it said to me that his family was not really "Gators fans" as much as "Kerwin fans." This left me with a very bad impression of the Bell family.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Kerwin was a great Gator and a legend in Gator history, not to mention being a really good guy.

The only negative I have is really about his family more so than him. In 1987 when the Gators were struggling and we were finishing the season in Gainesville against the noles. Kerwin was on the brink of passing John Reaves to become the passing leader in school history.

His family sat right behind us in the East stands and they were cheering profusely for Kerwin. In the 3rd quarter, Kerwin completed a pass that made it official and his family went nuts, and deservedly so. Unfortunately, two minutes later they grabbed their stuff and left even though the game was very much in doubt. We ultimately won the game but I never forgot this since it said to me that his family was not really "Gators fans" as much as "Kerwin fans." This left me with a very bad impression of the Bell family.
Ever think they went down to the field to finish watching the game and to hug their son after the game?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's some game action where he doesn't spike the ball into his junk.

We had unbelievable talent on that team. Our linebackers were maniacs, we had Hampton, Williams and Anderson in the backfield, Nattiel and Neal out wide, and the Great Wall of Florida up front. Makes me envious when I compare it to our roster today.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ever think they went down to the field to finish watching the game and to hug their son after the game?

Midway through the 3rd quarter? No I did not given that family members are not allowed on the field until the game has ended. Especially when I heard them say they were "Outta here."

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this thread was going to be about Octavius "Solid" Gould.

Parade All-America RB. Florida's leading rusher in 1986. He was the heir apparent to the run of great RBs we had in the 80s.

He got injured in the 1987 season opener against Miami.

Some freshman from Pensacola got the start in the next game against Tulsa. A week later, that freshman set a school rushing record with 224 yards against 'Bama.

Octavius Gould transferred to Minnesota.

Yeah, you know who that freshman from Pensacola was. #22

Alex.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this thread was going to be about Octavius "Solid" Gould.

Parade All-America RB. Florida's leading rusher in 1986. He was the heir apparent to the run of great RBs we had in the 80s.

He got injured in the 1987 season opener against Miami.

Some freshman from Pensacola got the start in the next game against Tulsa. A week later, that freshman set a school rushing record with 224 yards against 'Bama.

Octavius Gould transferred to Minnesota.

Yeah, you know who that freshman from Pensacola was. #22

Alex.
I was at that game in Birmingham. Emmitt Smith was on fire and I got drunker'n Cooter Brown. The Bama fans were actually cheering Smith's game.
We had unbelievable talent on that team. Our linebackers were maniacs, we had Hampton, Williams and Anderson in the backfield, Nattiel and Neal out wide, and the Great Wall of Florida up front. Makes me envious when I compare it to our roster today.
Incredible talent on the 84 team. Roster was a who's who of champs. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/1984-roster.html
Roger Sibbald was a highly recruited blue chip quarterback that threw the pass on the fake field goal for a first down in that game actually started at strong safety (made several huge stops in the Ga game) also was the punter with a 41 yard average. He was out of Dunnellon High School along with Vito McKeever and Ricky Easmon. The Tigers won 2 Class 2A State Championships with those guys. Here's a good write up on that group.
http://www.riverlandnews.com/content/dynasty-tiger

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I love this sh#T...........Loved Kerwin and those players named on the 84 team. Probably as talented as any we ever had.
I actually have a Kerwin story. I drove him to prison one night.........scUM fans harassed him a little but we had a good time............

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.