On3’s take on the Vandy loss

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

Yeah, if this were the 3rd or even 4 th game of the season, I get the points he made here.
That stinker was week 11.
The “culture” , “the buy in”, the “locker room” , should have shown steady improvements as we progressed from Kentucky to USF and on through the season.

The last thing I wanted to see was regression.
We are no better now than we were week 2.

Sad

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, if this were the 3rd or even 4 th game of the season, I get the points he made here.
The “culture” , “the buy in”, the “locker room” , should have shown steady improvements as we progressed from Kentucky to USF and on through the season.

Sad

To be fair, the Usce loss in 2005 was the next to last game. That was the infamous “stop the plane” game and one where we sealed the loss with a 12 men penalty on a punt(Meyer’s specialty). I think there are areas we look better, and I do see signs of taking a step forward, but it’s been slower than I’d hoped as well and Saturday hurt. A win this week would go a long way in soothing that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Sad
I listened to that for 5 minutes. And I came away with this thought. That guy is a Karl :nutswinger:
:nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I admit that the pumper in me wants to buy what this guy is selling. But man Saturday was ugly and it's all on Napier. Even AR's performance is all on Napier. If he won't or can't run what you want to call, then bench him.,

Now being a proud pumper, I'll eventually find something to be positive about but I aint there yet.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I admit that the pumper in me wants to buy what this guy is selling. But man Saturday was ugly and it's all on Napier. Even AR's performance is all on Napier. If he won't or can't run what you want to call, then bench him.,

Now being a proud pumper, I'll eventually find something to be positive about but I aint there yet.

You just described me perfectly. Though I started feeling better this afternoon. 2ish. :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
those takes are always going to be pumperish for obvious reasons. napier is in year 1 and aint going anywhere for a while. you want insider scoops, special accomodation and all that which is needed to continue your business? you find something positive to say. once hes been here a couple years and the writing is on the wall, then and only then will we see the other.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It seems like we heard this three times before. Sooner or later it has to be true

As I said yesterday, the thing I’m clinging to isn’t what is said or clichéd comparisons that inevitably surface on these cases. The turnaround and success he had at UL tells me he at least knows a plan that has worked. Doesn’t mean it will translate perfectly, but it has been done. With WM we had literally nothing to go off of. All JM proved in his two years was that he couldn’t win a championship at even that level. And DM was exactly what many of his critics accused him of being, so what we’d seen was actually discouraging in many ways. That’s the one key difference here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't listen to guys like this anymore, quite simply and not to sound like an ass, but I've been right many more times than they usually are. The truth is we'll know by the 4th game next year if Karl has a future here....If at least 60% of the mess that his play calling/strategy/game management are making aren't cleaned up then he has less than 0% chance of making it here in the future. And yes, the skidmarks they are leaving should be all the evidence he needs to make those changes.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'm going to argue that things should look different by the bowl game. If nothing else, get someone else to coach special teams. And im sure there are other things that he can do in that time as well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm going to argue that things should look different by the bowl game. If nothing else, get someone else to coach special teams. And im sure there are other things that he can do in that time as well.

He’s not budging on the STs by all accounts. It was mentioned yesterday. It’s a group effort with each coach manning some area, which he repeatedly said had worked in the past for him. I don’t remember if he mentioned who’s responsible for recovering muffed punts. But that guy cost us the game Saturday.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Who's responsible for making sure the coach by committee special teams group actually coaches special teams? We probably need one more assistant, that guy.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He’s not budging on the STs by all accounts. It was mentioned yesterday. It’s a group effort with each coach manning some area, which he repeatedly said had worked in the past for him. I don’t remember if he mentioned who’s responsible for recovering muffed punts. But that guy cost us the game Saturday.
First of all when did it become a thing to start fielding punts at the 5-6 yard line? I always thought unless it was a pooch punt you get your ass as far away as you can if it's coming down inside the 10 yard line while throwing a faux fair catch signal with of course zero intent on catching the ball to drag the defenders away from where the punt lands...I haven't watched middle schoolers practice in years but I'll bet that's the way they do it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
First of all when did it become a thing to start fielding punts at the 5-6 yard line? I always thought unless it was a pooch punt you get your ass as far away as you can if it's coming down inside the 10 yard line while throwing a faux fair catch signal with of course zero intent on catching the ball to drag the defenders away from where the punt lands...I haven't watched middle schoolers practice in years but I'll bet that's the way they do it.

Saturday. 1:00 or so.

The worst part of the attempt was that kid’s punts were like rockets. It wasn’t going to hit and bounce back, or even roll slowly into th end zone. It was going to hit someone near the wall. Just a terrible decision, and a bad job of whoever was in charge of JM to not recognize his inexperience and emphasize your point before he went out there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Saturday. 1:00 or so.

The worst part of the attempt was that kid’s punts were like rockets. It wasn’t going to hit and bounce back, or even roll slowly into th end zone. It was going to hit someone near the wall. Just a terrible decision, and a bad job of whoever was in charge of JM to not recognize his inexperience and emphasize your point before he went out there.
See post #15. Like I said, we need that guy.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
See post #15. Like I said, we need that guy.
It's hard to believe having your special teams coordinator watching from home with his kids running around screaming and his wife nagging him to get his Jordan's off the new and expensive ottoman (thank you signing bonus!) isn't the optimal setting for coaching efficiency. I understand the muffed punt wasn't really his fault. Apparently the TV timeout ended early and he was still up taking a wizz and getting another beer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I find it incredibly hard to believe that we have more than 3 times the personnel from previous staffs and yet we don't have a ST coach, or an OC for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator