OT Martez Ivey

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
The kid goes to Apopka High School which is around the corner from me. My buddy volunteers on the team and he says Ivey is very high on Florida right now, especially after the Mac hire. This would be a very big pickup. Apopka is playing in the state championship tomorrow and they literally run off of this kid every play.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
This was a quote from my buddy talking about Ivey:

"And he's a good dude too - leader of the team. Quiet off the field - really good kid. But a vocal natural leader on the field. Always checking on injured players on the sideline, pacing and talking up teammates."

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why hasn't he committed yet?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And we need him to be able to play right fricking now. We really won't be able to afford to redshirt incoming freshmen OL.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n130665 said:
And we need him to be able to play right fricking now. We really won't be able to afford to redshirt incoming freshmen OL.

This one is capable of being very productive right away. He'd start from day 1

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n130670 said:
This one is capable of being very productive right away. He'd start from day 1

He's a good player but have you seen the offense his team runs ? It's a damned winged T. They probably haven't thrown 10 passes this decade. Cowart beat him pretty badly in 1 on 1's at the summer camps and he will need a lot of work on his pass blocking. In other words I don't think he will start from day 1. He probably will get some reps like Sharpe did this year and will be a good player down the road hopefully at UF.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
t-gator;n130627 said:
Why hasn't he committed yet?

According to my buddy two reasons. First, his best friend committed to Auburn so that's been tough. The good thing is this kid is a lifelong Gator fan and his girlfriend is a big Gator fan as well. The second reason was Muschamp. He was waiting to see what would happen as he was concerned that Muschamp would ruin his NFL stock if he was retained after this year. He likes the Mac hire so that's good.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n130689 said:
He's a good player but have you seen the offense his team runs ? It's a damned winged T. They probably haven't thrown 10 passes this decade. Cowart beat him pretty badly in 1 on 1's at the summer camps and he will need a lot of work on his pass blocking. In other words I don't think he will start from day 1. He probably will get some reps like Sharpe did this year and will be a good player down the road hopefully at UF.

Cowart probably beats anyone he goes against. But he's playing 8a football in Florida . They run behind of him 90 percent of the time and they're in the state championship game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n130703 said:
He was waiting to see what would happen as he was concerned that Muschamp would ruin his NFL stock if he was retained after this year.
Sounds like a smart kid.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n130714 said:
Cowart probably beats anyone he goes against. But he's playing 8a football in Florida . They run behind of him 90 percent of the time and they're in the state championship game.

Don't get me wrong, I've said it before that Ivey should be the number one priority for our program. He and Cowart are game changers and championship makers. Just don't be surprised if it takes him half a season or more to get his pass blocking up to par.8A on Friday nights and SEC on Saturday afternoons are two different worlds when it comes to pass blocking.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he's that good of a run blocker, there's little reason why he can't compete at OG until he fine tunes some OT technique. Both Sharpe and Johnson showed great potential at OT (Johnson more than Sharpe as should be expected). It happens a lot that you take a raw OT and put him at OG so he can contribute while he's working on his craft. I doubt he can beat out Sharpe or Johnson coming in, but give him a year or two to develop an reassess along the way.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n130689 said:

They pass the ball about six times a game. They run the ball so well they don't have to pass. They run over his left tackle spot a lot. He is not
rated the number one offensive tackle in the nation for no reason. He will play as a freshman. And all the F$U fans around Apopka hate he is 100%
gator. I feel sure we have him.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
alcoholica;n130910 said:
If he's that good of a run blocker, there's little reason why he can't compete at OG until he fine tunes some OT technique
I like that idea as he can also get used to the physicality of play in the SEC. Is DJ coming back next year ? Maybe he could sit in at the other guard position. Merrick, if he decides to come might get some playing time at guard also.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@DerekTysonESPN: When all is said & done, I feel strongly that Martez Ivey will end up being the best player to come out of the 2015 class. He's unbelievable

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Swamped Gator;n130703 said:
According to my buddy two reasons. First, his best friend committed to Auburn so that's been tough. The good thing is this kid is a lifelong Gator fan and his girlfriend is a big Gator fan as well. The second reason was Muschamp. He was waiting to see what would happen as he was concerned that Muschamp would ruin his NFL stock if he was retained after this year. He likes the Mac hire so that's good.

So Foley needs to give his girlfriend a gymnastics scholarship or something.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
My buddy has been riding him hard about going to the Gators and I feel pretty confident that's exactly what he'll do.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n131146 said:
My buddy has been riding him hard about going to the Gators.

Glad he's willing to do whatever it takes

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ivey would be a key piece to show recruits that Mac is putting empahsis on both sides of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator