Other than retirement, the most controversial off-the-field choice Spurrier made as our coach?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Eraste Autin died in practice. Ultimately, the training staff and coaches are responsible.

Some people feel Fred Taylor and Jabbar Gaffney got too many second chances.

Some people that Terry Dean was treated poorly. Or maybe Bobby Sabelhaus.

Some people thought SOS didn't respect the Mighty Fooley. Some thought the opposite.

'78 and other old coots missed the 17-10 football games preSOS that they apparently loved.

Some people say visors are people too.

That's all I got.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Clearly it is the reinstating Gaffney. Stealing from players in the high school championship game reflected poorly on the University and probably hurt UF in recruiting. Had he not been a Gaffney, he may very well have been down the road.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Eraste Autin died in practice. Ultimately, the training staff and coaches are responsible.

Some people thought SOS didn't respect the Mighty Fooley. Some thought the opposite.

'78 and other old coots missed the 17-10 football games that they apparently loved.

That's all I got.

Did the guy die at practice or when he got back to his apartment? Seems like I remember hearing he collapsed either leaving practice or in his apartment. I may have it mixed up with another player death somewhere else.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Clearly it is the reinstating Gaffney. Stealing from players in the high school championship game reflected poorly on the University and probably hurt UF in recruiting. Had he not been a Gaffney, he may very well have been down the road.

He did bring him back off scholarship and made him earn it back. I agree a 3rd stringer doesn't get the same option, I got to believe every program is guilty of a decision like this.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Did the guy die at practice or when he got back to his apartment? Seems like I remember hearing he collapsed either leaving practice or in his apartment. I may have it mixed ip with another player death somewhere else.

Pat Dooley said:
A little more than a year ago, on the anniversary of his son’s death, David Autin told The Sun in a telephone interview that a lawsuit had been talked about, but “that’s not our main focus. I just don’t think it had to happen . . . I don’t think the heatstroke killed him.”

Eraste Autin was a freshman fullback from Lafayette, La., participating in voluntary summer workouts on July 19, 2001, when he became disoriented while returning to the UF locker room from the practice field. He ran past the gate leading to the football facility and began to stagger, witnesses said.

Dr. Tim Garvey, a Gainesville dentist, saw Autin in his rearview mirror and stopped to help him. The 240-pound Autin fought with Garvey before buckling into his arms. Garvey laid Autin on the sidewalk with a T-shirt under his head and waved over a UPD officer to call 911, reports said. Autin was transported to Shands at UF, where he died July 25.

Later they dropped Shands from the suit to focus on the UAA, but that may well have been a legal strategic move rather than what Dr. Autin thought. He seems to think the treatment at Shands not the UF workout killed his son. I found another article that seemingly said the same thing.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He did bring him back off scholarship and made him earn it back. I agree a 3rd stringer doesn't get the same option, I got to believe every program is guilty of a decision like this.

I am not saying that I disagreed with the decision. It was an iffy decision, but I was ok with it. Just it was probably the most controversial.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really remember hearing much about the players stuff off the field when Spurrier was here but I think he did have a rule at South Carolina when the stuff got big with the media that any player that committed domestic violence against a female would be kicked off the team (no exceptions) and he actually dismissed a few players there for that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

'78 and other old coots missed the 17-10 football games that they apparently loved.

That's all I got.
True. We regularly won low-scoring squeakers during the SOS era.

Your mind works in mysterious ways.

But the Autin call is spot on. That's his big blight.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't really remember hearing much about the players stuff off the field when Spurrier was here but I think he did have a rule at South Carolina when the stuff got big with the media that any player that committed domestic violence against a female would be kicked off the team (no exceptions) and he actually dismissed a few players there for that.

Ernie Badeaux.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
His biggest "controversy" was his mouth.....which all of us loved, and rivals hated. Other than Lane Kiffin, it's hard to find a coach who truly speaks his mind.

He went off on the Earnest Graham thing w Darnell Dockett. He talked all kinds of sh*t about FSU, Tenn/Fulmer, he ran up the score - on purpose, let everyone know he hated UGA, and told the a-hole at the Orlando Sentinel to f*ck off.

I miss him!

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Followed him at Duke and UF. Always thought he was squeaky clean. Almost in an arrogant way like he didn't have to cheat to win.

Miss that guy!!

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I know I don't start many of these topics, but with all the Meyer stuff going on, I wondered what was the worst thing our greatest coach (Spurrier) could be accused of while our coach. I'm 37 now, so Spurrier took over when I was 9. I never remembered Spurrier getting accused of any NCAA wrong doing. I remember Fred Taylor doing something with a credit card I believe and given a second chance. Remember the Gaffney incident and Spurrier letting him come back off Scholarship. With a coach like Meyer and many others that have tons of skeletons in their closets, what is Spurrier's biggest black mark against him while here? I just don't remember much controversy while he was here.
Never won a game at "The Doak"! Should have, but he choked it away, damn it!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Kearse. Wasn't he connected to some unseemly agent? Tank Black?

If I recall, Kearse and Rutledge had their campus privileges revoked. I don't know if they are now allowed on campus or not, nor if they have been on campus. So the punishment was pretty severe.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I recall, Kearse and Rutledge had their campus privileges revoked. I don't know if they are now allowed on campus or not, nor if they have been on campus. So the punishment was pretty severe.
That wasn't really a spot on SOS, or Fooley. They acted quickly and severely. I think one of the two, Rut I think, showed up with a new SUV and we suspended him when he couldn't give a decent answer.

Few universities would have done that.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That wasn't really a spot on SOS, or Fooley. They acted quickly and severely. I think one of the two, Rut I think, showed up with a new SUV and we suspended him when he couldn't give a decent answer.

Few universities would have done that.
Agree, just responding to the Kearse/Black comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.