Our 2001 Gators- The greatest team to never win squat

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
I was at the corner of University and 34th street, following GatorJ and his future wife when the announcement was made. I was listening to UF AM sports station (820?), GatorJ jumps out of his car runs back to mine, asking if I'm hearing this, we end up listening to the presser while following his future wife to the movie.
Warning Red Flag GIF

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
If I recall, there were several things that led to Spurrier’s resignation..

1. Gator Nation not being happy with a #3 ranking at end of year
2. FSU dirty plays being defended by their AD and mocking Spurrier while Foley refused to defend him
3. Grossman’s Dad publicly calling him out for benching him like a little league Dad

That UT game broke me. We were 18 point favorites and on our way to the NC. Phat Phil had his team ready and we couldn’t tackle Travis Stephens at all. Dude looked like Herschel against us the whole game. Stephens was out the weekend of 9/11 and we would have crushed them then. I also think we would have taken UM out with a healthy Earnest Graham but who knows…

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I recall, there were several things that led to Spurrier’s resignation..

1. Gator Nation not being happy with a #3 ranking at end of year
2. FSU dirty plays being defended by their AD and mocking Spurrier while Foley refused to defend him
3. Grossman’s Dad publicly calling him out for benching him like a little league Dad

That UT game broke me. We were 18 point favorites and on our way to the NC. Phat Phil had his team ready and we couldn’t tackle Travis Stephens at all. Dude looked like Herschel against us the whole game. Stephens was out the weekend of 9/11 and we would have crushed them then. I also think we would have taken UM out with a healthy Earnest Graham but who knows…

Don't forget the 18 year old kid that died during summer drills, that also was a big toll on Coach. It wasn't his fault, but it wasn't easy either. Also remember Dan Synder and the Foreskins threw at the time a record amount of money at him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Don't forget the 18 year old kid that died during summer drills, that also was a big toll on Coach. It wasn't his fault, but it wasn't easy either. Also remember Dan Synder and the Foreskins threw at the time a record amount of money at him.

I think the competitor in him(which was even more intense at the time) had suffered through 97-2000 and it killed him that they didn’t win anything that year with that roster, and he’d be at least a few years away from having that type of squad again. One of the great interviews with him about the ‘97 fsu game, he wastes no time expressing his frustration that the team missed Atlanta because of the Lsu and uga losses. Then ‘98 was excruciating. Then ‘99 sucked. And while it was nice to win the SEC in 2000, I think he knew that team could be awesome. Sitting and watching Davie beating the vols, after we’d destroyed them at their house earlier in the year, was probably too much for him, especially knowing it wasn’t going to be any better the next year. That’s always been my thoughts on his being frustrated. The fans and their expectations, per usual, took center stage of the blame. But it was his own standard that was the issue. Which is why he is a winner.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the competitor in him(which was even more intense at the time) had suffered through 97-2000 and it killed him that they didn’t win anything that year with that roster, and he’d be at least a few years away from having that type of squad again. One of the great interviews with him about the ‘97 fsu game, he wastes no time expressing his frustration that the team missed Atlanta because of the Lsu and uga losses. Then ‘98 was excruciating. Then ‘99 sucked. And while it was nice to win the SEC in 2000, I think he knew that team could be awesome. Sitting and watching Davie beating the vols, after we’d destroyed them at their house earlier in the year, was probably too much for him, especially knowing it wasn’t going to be any better the next year. That’s always been my thoughts on his being frustrated. The fans and their expectations, per usual, took center stage of the blame. But it was his own standard that was the issue. Which is why he is a winner.

His standard was higher, he competed at everything. He would compete against the players in spring fitness on the track. You didn't want to lose to Spurrier on the track, you wouldn't hear the last of it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
His standard was higher, he competed at everything. He would compete against the players in spring fitness on the track. You didn't want to lose to Spurrier on the track, you wouldn't hear the last of it.
I remember all the times I saw him running on campus between '90-'93... and then I saw him walking in person the day before Thanksgiving... yeesh. Dude did run, a lot back then.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It's all of that combined Sofla, wasn't one reason... but when he made a decision, it was immediate, and it was settled. 01 was probably the most disappointing season for a lot of reasons.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No doubt that was a solid team but lets not kid ourselves here....we weren't beating Miami that year. In fact the 3 most dominant teams in CFB history(MODERN) and in no particular order

2001 Miami
2008 UF
1996 Nebraska

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That was the day Rodney learned he had a brilliant future in baseball.

Have told this story before, but my father, even close to 40 years later, will immediately go into a rant about that game any time the names Rodney, Brewer or Rutgers are even mentioned. He was so upset we went up for the ‘86 game at the Meadowlands just to get revenge.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
The Darnell D!ckface incident was a morale killer for sure, but I think Spurrier was generally frustrated with his situation. The league had caught up to him forcing more of a ball control style of short passing (when it worked: think South Carolina game). You can dunk on Hoke with justice but how many three and outs were there in the UT game. We were no longer a physically tough team, and even back then we could barely get credible DL through admissions.

Still and all that year had an air of strangeness to it, from 9/11 screwing up UT to the swirling winds on the plains to the Dockett crime and our administration’s d!ckless response to it. I think it was clear to SOS that his regime had run its course. Sad it ended like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.