Our Running Game

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell happened? Why did Perine only get 2 touches and Cronk only 4?

Scarlett: 10 for 44 yrds.
Appleby: 7 for 24 yrds.
Thompson: 8 for 20 yrds.
Cronkrite: 4 for 13 yrds
Perine: 2 for 5 yrds.
Total: 31 for 106 yrds.
I get that the 2nd half was just stack the box and that was it but I'm just shocked we never established it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett was pounding it in the first half then Nusschamp happened in the 2nd half.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Probably need to settle on two backs and get away from the 4 man committee. Good RB's typically get better the more they tote the rock. Nobody is getting in a groove. Disappointed in Thompson but he is probably the back that would benefit from more carries the most. That said...right now I go with Scarlett and the rook.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Thompson isn't quick enough to be an SEC back.

Scarlett and Perine need to handle the bulk and Cronk needs to be 3rd down back

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We can't have an effective running game if the defense knows we're going to run the ball almost every time. Hell, most of us at home knew when a run was coming during the majority of that 2nd half. It boggles my mind that we could have that much success offensively and look that balanced in the 1st half only to completely get away from what worked and revert to a Muschamp-like mentality of playing not to lose in the 2nd. This offense cannot be successful without the threat of the pass. Unfortunately, this coaching staff believed it was only necessary to start attacking our opponent until after they scored 31 unanswered points. I don't care if we had Adrian Peterson in our backfield; you can't be successful when all 11 guys on defense know you're getting the ball.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Thompson isn't quick enough to be an SEC back.

Scarlett and Perine need to handle the bulk and Cronk needs to be 3rd down back

I think Thompson can be effective. I think he is quick enough but he runs too high. Needs lower center of gravity. But again 4 backs are too many. Scarlett and Perine should get the touches. If either goes down we have 2 to step in.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Thompson can be effective. I think he is quick enough but he runs too high. Needs lower center of gravity. But again 4 backs are too many. Scarlett and Perine should get the touches. If either goes down we have 2 to step in.

I'll politely disagree. I don't think he hits the whole fast enough. Once he gets going to second level that's a whole different story

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell happened? Why did Perine only get 2 touches and Cronk only 4?

Scarlett: 10 for 44 yrds.
Appleby: 7 for 24 yrds.
Thompson: 8 for 20 yrds.
Cronkrite: 4 for 13 yrds
Perine: 2 for 5 yrds.
Total: 31 for 106 yrds.
I get that the 2nd half was just stack the box and that was it but I'm just shocked we never established it.
Larry Csonka, Jim Brown, and Ernie Davis couldn't gain ground behind our OL in the second half. Like you, would have loved to see Perine and Cronk get some more carries. Getting time probably for the committee to give way to one or two primarily, as others have suggested. I believe Scarlett will be one. Not yet sure of the other. We'll see.

BTW, like my Syracuse theme? :)

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I will say one thing... impression, not necessarily fact supported, but it's been since John L Williams that the ole out of the backfield catch feels so good with Cronk, for me anyway.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Larry Csonka, Jim Brown, and Ernie Davis couldn't gain ground behind our OL in the second half. Like you, would have loved to see Perine and Cronk get some more carries. Getting time probably for the committee to give way to one or two primarily, as others have suggested. I believe Scarlett will be one. Not yet sure of the other. We'll see.

I like Perine as 2nd back as he seems to bring more explosiveness. I think with more consistent touches he will break a few off. The others are grinders.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
scarlett, thompson ~pounders of sorts
perine ~glides shifty bolts toward daylight
Cronk ~hands and then comes the mass

not too shabby when used correctly :scratchchin:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I don't understand trying to run out of one back set while using tight ends who are not big, imposing blocking guys. Both Goolsy and Lewis seem to be mostly pass catching tight ends. Are we not asking them to function more like H-backs or blocking tight ends when we only have one back behind the QB in run situations? Even though that doesn't seem to be the strength of their game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Larry Csonka, Jim Brown, and Ernie Davis couldn't gain ground behind our OL in the second half.
Exactly what I was thinking. And tje first half wasnt great either.

Im at the same spot I was preseason, trying to imagine what offense you run with an OL that is at least a ear away from being effective.

The answer remains none.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
The line is not good enough, and the coaching in the second half was terrible. That doesn't change the fact that none of these backs look like a top-tier SEC back. I hope Perine grows into one, he's young, but we need to bring some talent in here immediately.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

And Floyd Little would've had trouble behind this OL as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.