Pandemic TV

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With some time on my hands during the pandemic, I have to admit to watching a little more TV than usual. With no sports other than replays and my old fashioned DVD collection well-watched, I find my utmost enjoyment coming from a couple of classics...Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke. Both serials can be found on multiple channels daily and I find myself checking the guide each morning to help me plan my day around some favorite episodes (no, I don't binge watch either show, there's still plenty to do remotely for work and physically keeping two houses up). But these shows are my therapy.

I've thought often about what it is about these shows that are so appealing. Obviously, there's usually a lesson about right vs. wrong that is resolved, one with humor, one with justice. Both portray life and times that were simpler (though Gunsmoke's era was far more dangerous). With a bit of irony, we've all sort have been thrust backward in time it seems. Even though there's some associated discomfort, I find it somewhat reassuring that living like we are, simpler, maybe with some uncertainty, can be done successfully and happily.

A couple of favorite episodes have been aired recently. It may be a bit of a stretch, but "Opie and the Bully" registers with the current political climate. I guess you could read it from both sides, but the lesson was that threats of harm can paralyze us if we let them and ultimately we must decide whether to stand up for ourselves and what we believe or roll over and take whatever threat that is forced upon us.

Sheriff Taylor and Marshal Dillon, though fictional characters, stand for what is good and right, and just that in my opinion is the fabric of what has held our country together. I find myself subconsciously referring to some of the lessons imparted when dealing with kids nowadays at school and in sports (with some adults, too). My kids laugh that they grew up in both Mayberry and Dodge City. The Marshal always reminds me that there's no right way to do wrong and the Sheriff always injects a little humor to salve some of the tense interpersonal situations. Each reminds us that we have to learn to endure some dumbasses on a daily basis and keep our cool (Barney and Festus).

As long as these shows are on, I've got something to both calm and inspire. Any favorite episodes stick with you? Any other shows that you enjoy likewise? I hope everybody is making it ok during this strange time.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
With some time on my hands during the pandemic, I have to admit to watching a little more TV than usual. With no sports other than replays and my old fashioned DVD collection well-watched, I find my utmost enjoyment coming from a couple of classics...Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke. Both serials can be found on multiple channels daily and I find myself checking the guide each morning to help me plan my day around some favorite episodes (no, I don't binge watch either show, there's still plenty to do remotely for work and physically keeping two houses up). But these shows are my therapy.

I've thought often about what it is about these shows that are so appealing. Obviously, there's usually a lesson about right vs. wrong that is resolved, one with humor, one with justice. Both portray life and times that were simpler (though Gunsmoke's era was far more dangerous). With a bit of irony, we've all sort have been thrust backward in time it seems. Even though there's some associated discomfort, I find it somewhat reassuring that living like we are, simpler, maybe with some uncertainty, can be done successfully and happily.

A couple of favorite episodes have been aired recently. It may be a bit of a stretch, but "Opie and the Bully" registers with the current political climate. I guess you could read it from both sides, but the lesson was that threats of harm can paralyze us if we let them and ultimately we must decide whether to stand up for ourselves and what we believe or roll over and take whatever threat that is forced upon us.

Sheriff Taylor and Marshal Dillon, though fictional characters, stand for what is good and right, and just that in my opinion is the fabric of what has held our country together. I find myself subconsciously referring to some of the lessons imparted when dealing with kids nowadays at school and in sports (with some adults, too). My kids laugh that they grew up in both Mayberry and Dodge City. The Marshal always reminds me that there's no right way to do wrong and the Sheriff always injects a little humor to salve some of the tense interpersonal situations. Each reminds us that we have to learn to endure some dumbasses on a daily basis and keep our cool (Barney and Festus).

As long as these shows are on, I've got something to both calm and inspire. Any favorite episodes stick with you? Any other shows that you enjoy likewise? I hope everybody is making it ok during this strange time.
My barber (a lady) always has Andy on the TV (streaming)... I've noticed that while effective, Andy pretty much makes up the law as he goes! ;)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My barber (a lady) always has Andy on the TV (streaming)... I've noticed that while effective, Andy pretty much makes up the law as he goes! ;)
I believe in one episode he speaks of the difference between the “letter” and the “spirit!”

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2020-4-21_14-36-22.jpeg
images

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I believe in one episode he speaks of the difference between the “letter” and the “spirit!”
I just remember seeing one episode while snoozin in the barber chair where Andy was basically deciding whether some guy (evil town shop owner) could keep his shop or not and basically forced him to hire a town loser... somethin like that, or he'd lose his property. I totally get why Coach loves the show!!! ;) Loved the one where they said women couldn't run for city council.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ben Weaver, an old bas tard if ever there was one, was the shop owner. Andy definitely had a heart for the downtrodden! Otis Campbell...who didn’t love him? I had a couple of uncles growing up just like him! They always made the holidays fun. And just for the record, I was against Ellie taking a leadership role as well. It would’ve been like electing my mama’s sister...BSC!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ben Weaver, an old bas tard if ever there was one, was the shop owner. Andy definitely had a heart for the downtrodden! Otis Campbell...who didn’t love him? I had a couple of uncles growing up just like him! They always made the holidays fun. And just for the record, I was against Ellie taking a leadership role as well. It would’ve been like electing my mama’s sister...BSC!
:lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And...
Andy did dip the wick with several hotties.

The Throwback: Sheriff Andy Taylor's many women

My boy Barney mainly hung with Thelma Lou, but I wonder why they never really developed his other gal Juanita?

Don Knotts killed it every time...

source.gif

Andy had a thing for nurses early on. Out of all his consorts, Peggy would have been my personal choice ;). Helen Crump was nice looking and enjoyed the longest run as Ange’s steady, but she was a b itch. I think I’d have had to pull a Sam Kinnison on her. In a twist, Andy actually ran around with Helen (Aneta Corsaut) after hours.

As for Juanita, I sort of appreciated the writers keeping her hidden. It left a little to the imagination. I always pictured her somewhere along the lines of Skippy (one of the “Fun Girls” from Mt. Pilot). I think Barney liked a little side action and the trashier the better. Being Juanita was a waitress at the diner, I guess he was just channeling his inner Tiger Woods.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2020-4-21_17-34-42.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_17-38-39.jpeg

Peggy or Helen :dunno: Peggy for sure!

In real life, I believe Helen was a lib. Might explain why she was frequently angry on the show. I bet Andy donkey-punched her when they were fooling around. That or she led to his drinking problems.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And while we’re on the subject of lady friends, Matt Dillon had a couple besides Miss Kitty. There was an episode when he was wounded and taken care of by Michael Learned (Olivia, mother on The Waltons). Had a little romance, short-lived, but it turned out later on that she bore Matt a daughter (Gunsmoke: The Last Apache, a made for TV movie after the series was cancelled).

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

In real life, I believe Helen was a lib. Might explain why she was frequently angry on the show. I bet Andy donkey-punched her when they were fooling around. That or she led to his drinking problems.

Yep... Peggy.
Helen wasn't too bad either.

Helen (aka Aneta Corsaut):

Corsaut never married or had any children. According to the 2015 book Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show, she and Andy Griffith, who was married at the time, had an affair while working together on The Andy Griffith Show.

On November 6, 1995, Corsaut died of cancer in Los Angeles, California, just three days after her 62nd birthday. A Catholic, she was interred at Valhalla Memorial Park Cemetery in nearby North Hollywood.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
And of course my favorite band - The Darlings (aka The Dillards):

ad76396560d7b5835d538de6c20e3be4--the-andy-griffith-show-bluegrass-music.jpg

Dudes could REALLY play bluegrass... extremely well:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.