Patton's Christmas card and heavenly request

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
“At a critical juncture in the Battle of the Bulge, General George S. Patton's Third Army became bogged down in its drive to relieve the legendary 101st Airborne Division trapped at Bastogne, Belgium.
An encircled force of 15,000 elite American soldiers defended the vital crossroads town from a German contingent that outnumbered them by nine-to-one in critical sections of the front.
Meanwhile, wintry conditions had grounded the Allied air force, neutralizing their massive advantage in air supremacy.

That's when Patton called upon the power of prayer.
Rev. Msgr. James Hugh O'Neill, chaplain of the 250,000 man Third Army, composed what became known as the "Weather Prayer" at the behest of his general.

Here's what it said:
"Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."
On the reverse side of the prayer card distributed to every GI under his command, Patton wrote:
"To each officer and soldier in the Third United States Army, I wish a Merry Christmas. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We march in our might to complete victory. May God’s blessings rest upon each of you on this Christmas Day. — G.S. Patton, Jr., Lieutenant General, Commanding, Third United States Army."
The next day the weather cleared, American air power decimated the Nazis' ability to wage war on the ground, and, well, the rest is history.”
Merry Christmas Everyone

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good one, Coach. Merry Christmas.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you for posting. I can honestly say 'stephene's' post was an historical post.
Seriously, those young boys-men footslogged unyielding into the face of their death. Realize that all those common sense boys were fuelled by their moral convictions that they "had to" annihilate Naziism's death-dealing ideology. Only uncluttered patriotic thinking would work = no PC rules of engagement, or other such liberal thinking. This devotion to the ideals of the American US Constitution will be required to annihilate the new Hitler: Islam-Sharia.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
General_George_S_Patton.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking your choices around this man were limited... :eek3:
Prayers and Wars go hand in hand. Glad he was on our side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator