Perine Puts Media on Notice

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought I saw a change in Perine his first carry after Trask was hurt. He seemed to play harder after that.
Maybe, but the unblocked DE on that play inexplicably stood still. I suspect he thought he had the TE who was floating out for a fake screen or at least bit on that eye candy. Surely he wasnt respecting Trash to keep.

If he just crashes like even the FCS teams have done, he hits Perine in the backfield like all the other option plays.

Getting hit in the backfield by unblocked DEs is never going to be a recipe for a successful running game. Our running game isnt successful bc we wont adapt it to a QB who ismt a running threat.

Once we either adapt the blocking scheme or add a FB, the running game will explode.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Getting hit in the backfield by unblocked DEs is never going to be a recipe for a successful running game. Our running game isnt successful bc we wont adapt it to a QB who ismt a running threat.

Once we either adapt the blocking scheme or add a FB, the running game will explode.

It is not a coincidence that even against that vaunted Auburn running defense we could actual gain about 4 yards a carry when EJ was in. Not sure why we refuse to run from under center with Trask since it would ft his game more. We did more of that with Franks than we have with Trask and Franks was a more effective runner than Trask.

Maybe there was too much concern about pressure and they wanted Trask back farther from the line. I’d like to see this adjustment against LSU so Perine can really show his skill set this year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes, and Gattorchatter was among the top search results on my search!
Best Posts in Thread: Edgar Thompson disses Gators Breakdown podcast, gets manhandled on Twitter for it | Gatorchatter
...of course there isn't a link to the podcast. :facepalm:

It can be seen here ...if there's sufficient interest. He get's started about 14 minutes in.

I'd like to see just a top to bottom purge of anyone and everyone associated with UF and media coverage, regardless of their particular outlet. It's absolutely horrendous.

Burn it down and start again.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see just a top to bottom purge of anyone and everyone associated with UF and media coverage, regardless of their particular outlet. It's absolutely horrendous.

One thing that is really surprising to me is the terrible questions that are asked to the players. 90% of questions asked are something like, "How excited were you to score that touchdown?" Maybe @78 could weigh in on this, but I would think that they would want actual answers from players, not just a slight variations of their leading questions.

For example, in the interview with Perine the first 2 questions are good. Then, at 45 seconds in, this is the question.

"How sweet was that, to break the long one?" What's the interviewer expecting? Such a dumb question. ...and that seems to be the norm.

It's followed by gems like these.
"Did it kinda feel good to break past that last guy and know they weren't gonna catch you?"
Wouldn't it be better to ask, "What did you think and feel as you broke past the last defender?"

It's no secret the run blocking hasn't been what it should be, how have you kind of just mentally stayed strong through that and patient? ...or how tough has it been?
Why not, "RB performance is dependent on others' performance, especially the o-line. Do you ever feel limited by other position groups? ...and if so, how do you respond to it?"

Do you think wins like this earn respect on a national level?
How about, "How do you think this affects the perception of the Gators on the national level?

Since Mullen and his staff have arrived, they've preached the Gator standard, hold onto the rope. How much was this game a culmination of that?
Again, a leading question.

To Swain...
Mullen lets you have fun on Fridays. How important is that to kinda keep the mood balanced?
What is he going to say, "It's not important. ...but coach thinks it is and it's easier for us, so we go along with it."

So many of the questions are just bad. I would expect that if people do this for a living ...and I would think interviewing is a big part of their job, that they would ask better questions. I've seen worse examples, but it seems to me that if you earned a college degree in journalism, you'd be able to formulate better, open questions to reveal better content for your writing.

/end rant

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One thing that is really surprising to me is the terrible questions that are asked to the players. 90% of questions asked are something like, "How excited were you to score that touchdown?" Maybe @78 could weigh in on this, but I would think that they would want actual answers from players, not just a slight variations of their leading questions.

For example, in the interview with Perine the first 2 questions are good. Then, at 45 seconds in, this is the question.

"How sweet was that, to break the long one?" What's the interviewer expecting? Such a dumb question. ...and that seems to be the norm.

"Did it kinda feel good to break past that last guy and know they weren't gonna catch you?"
Wouldn't it be better to ask, "What did you think and feel as you broke past the last defender?"

It's no secret the run blocking hasn't been what it should be, how have you kind of just mentally stayed strong through that and patient? ...or how tough has it been?
Why not, "RB performance is dependent on others' performance, especially the o-line. Do you ever feel limited by other position groups? ...and if so, how do you respond to it?"

How about, "How do you think this affects the perception of the Gators on the national level?

Since Mullen and his staff have arrived, they've preached the Gator standard, hold onto the rope. How much was this game a culmination of that?

To Swain...
Mullen lets you have fun on Fridays. How important is that to kinda keep the mood balanced?
What is he going to say, "It's not important. ...but coach thinks it is and it's easier for us, so we go along with it."

So many of the questions are just bad. I would expect that if people do this for a living ...and I would think interviewing is a big part of their job, that they would ask better questions. I've seen worse examples, but it seems to me that if you earned a college degree in journalism, you'd be able to formulate better, open questions to reveal better content for your writing.

/end rant

Couldn't agree more. And bear in mind, it's what they actually do for a profession. It's not a fan running into LP this week at Chipotle and stumbling through a series of dumb questions. You're paid to ask intelligent questions and get quotes that generate a productive article. Even the harping on Auburn not giving him an offer. Once is sufficient. Continuing to go back to a detail again and again and essentially asking the same question 3-4 times is ridiculous.

I don't know what they're actually doing in the school of journalism, but other than occasionally writing AP style, I'm not sure an average 12 year old couldn't do the job as effectively.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Edgar Thompson after the 6:18 mark...

giphy.gif

My own appreciation for Perine has definitely grown.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

To Swain...

/end rant
Bingo. They don’t know how to ask open ended questions. They just ask closed ended questions.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more. And bear in mind, it's what they actually do for a profession. It's not a fan running into LP this week at Chipotle and stumbling through a series of dumb questions. You're paid to ask intelligent questions and get quotes that generate a productive article. Even the harping on Auburn not giving him an offer. Once is sufficient. Continuing to go back to a detail again and again and essentially asking the same question 3-4 times is ridiculous.

I don't know what they're actually doing in the school of journalism, but other than occasionally writing AP style, I'm not sure an average 12 year old couldn't do the job as effectively.

:exactly:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Was this a swipe at me? :suspect:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

To Swain...

/end rant

So in other words, sports reporting has degenerated at the same rate as political reporting.
Should we be surprised?

Journalism schools for the most part are a farce now due to activist professors (I use that term loosely) teaching their students to "make news" and analyze news" versus reporting news which is supposed to be their job.

Watch the games and evaluate what you see on your own. These "journalist" say anything they want and never acknowledge how wrong they are. There should be a very long procession of reporters doing mea culpas today but I won't hold my breath.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

The truth is, they make poverty wages. Not many people want those jobs.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they make poverty wages because they suck at their job.
Plenty of people would take those jobs, low wages or not. This fantasy that the Sun only has guys like Dooley and Pat because they can’t get anyone better is utter nonsense.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Listen to the volume go up when he breaks the tackle and then go up when he gets in the clear.........Its incredible.................

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We were getting the upper hand as the second half played out, but Perine's long run broke Auburn's back. In the end it was Auburn's much ballyhooed freshman quarterback who found himself on too big of a stage and not the two star freshman Kyle Trask.

But if we're going to beat LSU we're going to have to have a more consistent running game and not just rely on a single big running play. I have a feeling we're still going to get a consistent running game going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator