Phil Steele: projected AP Top 10 (UF #10)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, it's Bart, so yeah, he's probably high. Still, UGA needs to be bashed at every opportunity. Even if ya gotta just create the opportunity yourself, which is what I think Bart was doing here.:bandit:

Dude, stop w/ all the UGA sucking up. We're sick of you people coming on here praising UGA. "UGA this, UGA that!" Just stop it already!! :D

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't say that. It was a jab at all the posters who have been slobbering all over Eason, 2 RBs coming back, Kirby kicking our ass in recruiting, and predicting they'll win the East. They've shown no inkling they can beat us the past couple of years, why presume they will this season?
Well, if they are good enough to be ranked, obviously Butters isnt going to beat them.

Im not sure if they will be. It takes two-three years for recruiting to be felt on the field.

Unfortunately that means the next who is the one who will bear the damage of Butters' recruiting.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Dude, every team ranked in a pre-season top 5 that doesn't win the NC "underperforms" and "chokes"....and hell, some of the NC teams "choke" or underperform (see UF vs. Ole Miss 2008). But even if those teams you mentioned are "overrated", who should be ranked in those spots instead? Someone has to finish 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th, etc. If you go 11-2 and finish ranked 5th is that "overrated"? No, usually the 5th ranked team in the country has 2 losses. Hell, sometimes they have 3 losses. LSU won the national title w/ two losses in 2007! If USC wins the P12 w/ 1 loss then loses in the NC game are they "overrated"? Unless Alabama or Ohio State wins the NC every year are they overrated? Someone has to be ranked in that spot (2, 3, 4, etc), who would you put there instead? I think that projected AP top 6 is pretty dead on to most every pre-season poll we'll see this year.

WTF are you talking about? Did I mention UGA? I haven't mentioned UGA anywhere. You seem to think there's a ton of posters here who have a hard-on for UGA. They aren't in the this top 10, are they? I responded to comments that 4 of the teams in the top 10 were "overrated" - none being UGA. So, again, WTF are you talking about? I asked why they are overrated and asked who should be ranked there instead.

No, not every team that finishes in the top 5 w/o winning the NC chokes, that's just absurd. I also don't care if most every other preseason poll looks the same, it doesn't mean they are correct. You want to see what choking/underperforming looks like...see FSU this past seaso, returning almost their entire starting lineup INCLUDING their senior QB, preseason #4 and they lose 3 regular season games...2 in the first 5 weeks of the season, that's choking/underperforming. 2016 Oklahoma, preseason #3 and start the season 1-2, out of the NC hunt before September ended. How about 2015 USC, preseason #8 and they roll to an 8-6 record. Huge fail. 2014 Oklahoma, preseason #4, finished 8-4 and unranked. 2012 USC, preseason #1, finish 7-6 and unranked. 2011 Oklahoma, preseason #1, 3 regular season losses, not even in the mix for the NC, out of it in week 10 and finished the season ranked 15/16. These are a few examples of teams that have underperformed. I could go on but hopefully you get the picture. It's more than just W's and L's as you seem to believe. All of these teams consistently pull in a ton of top flight talent but shat the bed RELATIVE to talent level, returning talent and expectations.

To answer your hypothetical about USC, no they wouldn't be overrated if they win the PAC 12 and lose the NC game. They would most likely finish the season ranked #2, maybe #3, and would actually be slightly underrated in the preseason poll, in hindsight, as the preseason #4. The problem is they most likely won't play for the NC and won't finish with 2 losses with one being in the championship game.

While I haven't put a top 10 together yet (and I will in due time), I'm wise enough to know from years of experience that banking on the teams I referenced in my OP is a very risky, and most likely, losing proposition.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No, not every team that finishes in the top 5 w/o winning the NC chokes, that's just absurd. I also don't care if most every other preseason poll looks the same, it doesn't mean they are correct. You want to see what choking/underperforming looks like...see FSU this past seaso, returning almost their entire starting lineup INCLUDING their senior QB, preseason #4 and they lose 3 regular season games...2 in the first 5 weeks of the season, that's choking/underperforming. 2016 Oklahoma, preseason #3 and start the season 1-2, out of the NC hunt before September ended. How about 2015 USC, preseason #8 and they roll to an 8-6 record. Huge fail. 2014 Oklahoma, preseason #4, finished 8-4 and unranked. 2012 USC, preseason #1, finish 7-6 and unranked. 2011 Oklahoma, preseason #1, 3 regular season losses, not even in the mix for the NC, out of it in week 10 and finished the season ranked 15/16. These are a few examples of teams that have underperformed. I could go on but hopefully you get the picture. It's more than just W's and L's as you seem to believe. All of these teams consistently pull in a ton of top flight talent but shat the bed RELATIVE to talent level, returning talent and expectations.

To answer your hypothetical about USC, no they wouldn't be overrated if they win the PAC 12 and lose the NC game. They would most likely finish the season ranked #2, maybe #3, and would actually be slightly underrated in the preseason poll, in hindsight, as the preseason #4. The problem is they most likely won't play for the NC and won't finish with 2 losses with one being in the championship game.

While I haven't put a top 10 together yet (and I will in due time), I'm wise enough to know from years of experience that banking on the teams I referenced in my OP is a very risky, and most likely, losing proposition.

FSU started a redshirt freshman QB.....

But I get it. We're supposed to root against all teams not Florida. All teams except us are overrated! The Top Ten should really look this this to most Gator fans:

1. UF
2. Florida
3. The Gators
4. U of F
5. The University of Florida
6. Da Gata
7. Florida Gators
8. Florida JV
9. Florida Scout Team
10. Gators

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

But I get it. We're supposed to root against all teams not Florida. All teams except us are overrated! The Top Ten should really look this this to most Gator fans:

1. UF
2. Florida
3. The Gators
4. U of F
6. Da Gata
7. Florida Gators
8. Florida JV
9. Florida Scout Team
10. Gators
That's a good list. I like it :yes:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

1. UF
2. Florida
3. The Gators
4. U of F
6. Da Gata
7. Florida Gators
8. Florida JV
9. Florida Scout Team
10. Gators

They started a redshirt frosh by choice; they could have gone with the experienced senior but didn't. They had almost every starter back and were supposed to make a serious run at the natty, the run didn't happen. You can keep your head in the sand all you want but you really can't dispute the examples I gave of underperforming, it's just the truth. This also has nothing to do with me being a UF homer, nor am I saying we should be ranked higher, that's not the case at all. While I despise FSU, I have no qualms with Wisconsin, nothing really against USC and very little against Oklahoma (other than OK having cost me money in 04 when SoCal blew them out in the title game and OK being overrated the past 10 years IMO). Choose not to heed my advice if you like, I don't care. I'm just saying that I think anybody banking on the teams I mentioned living up to their preseason billing stands a decent chance of being let down.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They started a redshirt frosh by choice; they could have gone with the experienced senior but didn't. They had almost every starter back and were supposed to make a serious run at the natty, the run didn't happen. You can keep your head in the sand all you want but you really can't dispute the examples I gave of underperforming, it's just the truth. This also has nothing to do with me being a UF homer, nor am I saying we should be ranked higher, that's not the case at all. While I despise FSU, I have no qualms with Wisconsin, nothing really against USC and very little against Oklahoma (other than OK having cost me money in 04 when SoCal blew them out in the title game and OK being overrated the past 10 years IMO). Choose not to heed my advice if you like, I don't care. I'm just saying that I think anybody banking on the teams I mentioned living up to their preseason billing stands a decent chance of being let down.

Dude, I already said, "I get it". Everybody but us is overrated. I get it. Go gators!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I get it, bro!

I'm still waiting to hear who is not "overrated" in those spots....

I get it now, too. You're really a Nole fan and you are upset with my perceived slight of your beloved team. In hindsight, there is no other logical reason for you to be making the crazy statements you are about this topic.

With that being said, I'm not going to indulge a Nole in anymore conversation about this while my team is playing their Sweet 16 game. On that note, I say to you "GOOD DAY, SIR!"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I get it now, too. You're really a Nole fan and you are upset with my perceived slight of your beloved team. In hindsight, there is no other logical reason for you to be making the crazy statements you are about this topic.

With that being said, I'm not going to indulge a Nole in anymore conversation about this while my team is playing their Sweet 16 game. On that note, I say to you "GOOD DAY, SIR!"

The weakest comeback ever on a message board; "you're a (insert rival team) fan"!

You got me! You're just too good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.