Plan B planning...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We know Saban, Meyer, Fisher and other successful coaches/recruiters have Plan B recruits. It seems like our staff doesn't (or am I missing it?).

Anyhow, losing Manuel - our only DT commit - is inexcusable. First, it's inexcusable that he was our only DT commit....and second, losing him on signing day is amateur hour.

If our coaching staff had Plan B recruits or wanted to have some Plan B kids in upcoming recruiting years, how would they go about doing it?

Offer a kid that's committed to a school like UCF, Vandy, USF, Duke? I'm not sure how you go about having a Plan B lined up (because the kid is taking a risk as well - hoping for his "dream school" or simply a better program), but going a cycle without a DT is brutal. Similar to what we're seeing now when Muschamp signed 2 or 3 OLs over 2+ years. It's inexcusable.

I'm sure there's a 3-star on Vandy or UCF's commit list that would love to play in Gainesville. I know it's not ideal...but missing on a key position can be crippling.

Would you rather not see us sign a Plan B? Thoughts?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We didn't lose him. The dude f'ed himself by being lazy in the classroom. That isn't the coaching staffs fault.

Also, we have serious problems all over the place with only a limited number of schollies. Talent at receiver, linebacker, quarterback, d-end, and o-line were all more of a priority. 4 of our DT's are r-so or younger. We will be fine. The most recent weight for Polite is 260 and could add more to move inside if needed. Same with Cece.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we're good on bodies for the DL right now. We can't miss on elite prospects next year though. This staff has serious issues with recruiting on the defensive side. Collins is mediocre at best. Rumph is good. Shannon has been underwhelming. Callahan was straight garbage. No reason for defense to take a dump this year in recruiting.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a fan of ''Plan B'' recruits.

See Andrades as an example.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Screw it. Let's take one and 'abort' the whole class so far.:suicide2:

040513_banderas_planb_640.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We didn't lose him. The dude f'ed himself by being lazy in the classroom. That isn't the coaching staffs fault.

Also, we have serious problems all over the place with only a limited number of schollies. Talent at receiver, linebacker, quarterback, d-end, and o-line were all more of a priority. 4 of our DT's are r-so or younger. We will be fine. The most recent weight for Polite is 260 and could add more to move inside if needed. Same with Cece.

I agree that losing him isn't the end of the world.... Also Polite is already around 260lbs, so he likely ends up at DT eventually.

But, to the point of the thread, what's your thoughts on Plan B's?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we're good on bodies for the DL right now. We can't miss on elite prospects next year though. This staff has serious issues with recruiting on the defensive side. Collins is mediocre at best. Rumph is good. Shannon has been underwhelming. Callahan was straight garbage. No reason for defense to take a dump this year in recruiting.

Yeah without tiptoeing around it, outside of Rumph is there anyone on the defensive staff you'd be sad to see go? We better hope the offense starts scoring a lot of points because there's a drop-off coming on defense if this doesn't get turned around by next year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Agree on Andrades. But Gaffney was a Plan B also. Additionally, kids that go to Vandy aren't the same kids that come to a UF or Bama (usually), but they still play SEC ball. I wouldn't be too upset to land Plan B or two each year, if we have open scholarships. I'm not advocating filling the roster w/ Plan B's, just one or two each class when we miss on our true needs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Screw it. Let's take one and 'abort' the whole class so far.:suicide2:

040513_banderas_planb_640.jpg

Huh? Take one what?

My post wasn't suggesting we fill our entire class w/ Plan B's. But when there's a need and we miss, why not take one or two each class if there's scholarships available? We've been playing with 75 or so true scholarship players the last 5+ years. A Plan B could end up being another Gaffney and become a real player/contributor.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I agree that losing him isn't the end of the world.... Also Polite is already around 260lbs, so he likely ends up at DT eventually.

But, to the point of the thread, what's your thoughts on Plan B's?

My bad for not making not making it clear. I have no problem with plan B's if the schollies allow it. I just don't think there are enough this year.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree on Andrades. But Gaffney was a Plan B also. Additionally, kids that go to Vandy aren't the same kids that come to a UF or Bama (usually), but they still play SEC ball. I wouldn't be too upset to land Plan B or two each year, if we have open scholarships. I'm not advocating filling the roster w/ Plan B's, just one or two each class when we miss on our true needs.

Interesting. I didn't know that about Gaffney.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Andrades was NOT a plan B. He and Pittman were more of a Plan Z pickup. Muscrat was desperate to get any WR after missing on Diggs and Aghalor.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don Gaffney, first African American to start at QB for UF. His brother Derrick Gaffney was the Gator WR who caught the longest TD pass in NCAA history (99 yards) from Cris Collinsworth. Derrick's son is Jabar Gaffney who came to UF as a multiple legacy, then got kicked off the team for stealing, but earned his way back (lost his scholarship though).

(Two other uncles were Gators too and Lito Sheppard is a cousin, pretty talented family)

Jabar didn't have the great measurables but he was catching passes from the day he was born. His family would do drills with him where he wouldn't see the ball until the last second, training him to spot the ball and adjust immediately. Jabar was breaking down film and running route trees while the rest of us were watching cartoons. He was fantastic. Just a treat to watch on the field.

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gaffney was a legacy not a plan B. Much like Terry Jackson was a legacy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why is Jordan woods not in this class?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why is Jordan woods not in this class?
I guess he really like Georgia Tech. We probably didn't show him enough love. We got the other Jordan (Smith) and were hoping to get Burns, and maybe us getting Clayton scared him off.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
As it stands, we've signed 24 so far.... We've lost 2 and gained 1.

We have 30 scholarships to give. I'd say a couple of Plan B's would have been nice additions. Once again we'll play a season under the 85 scholarship limit.

Gaffney was a legacy not a plan B. Much like Terry Jackson was a legacy.

Gaffney was a legacy....and a Plan B. He was not offered until the day before signing day. Willie Jackson was also a legacy that did not garner an offer until the week of signing day - was he a Plan B? I don't know, but he wasn't offered by UF until the other WRs they were interested in didn't pan out.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

SPIN SPIN SUGAR!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BMF,
I know for both Terry and Willie, they were told even before offered, they would be offered due to their status in the Gator family. Spurrier was a coach that did have some belief in legacy, but he was also a different era of coach than what we deal with today. Gaffney would have been in the same group. '

I'm not disagreeing with your Plan B, with the number of holes we have to fill... but saying that Gaffney is not a good example.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As it stands, we've signed 24 so far.... We've lost 2 and gained 1.

We have 30 scholarships to give. I'd say a couple of Plan B's would have been nice additions. Once again we'll play a season under the 85 scholarship limit.

This is unacceptable. We need to get our numbers back up. :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.