Poisonous snake bites customer at Lowe's in NC

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1463505755613.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/1...-customer-at-lowes-in-nc.html?intcmp=trending
I found a 2 1/2 foot copperhead in a bale of pinestraw mulch I was spreading once. I guess it got raked up in the straw when they were baling. Freaked me out.

DENVER, N.C. – A poisonous snake in a tree has bitten a customer at a home improvement store in North Carolina.

A spokeswoman for Lowe's Companies Inc. said in an email Tuesday that a customer was bitten in the outdoor lawn and garden center Monday at a store northwest of Charlotte.

The East Lincoln Fire Department had said in a Facebook post that the copperhead bit an employee.

The customer's name and condition were not available.

Lowe's spokeswoman Karen Cobb said employees called 911 and searched for other snakes. Cobb said no others were found but a pest control company has been called to check.

She says the company doesn't know how the snake got into the garden center.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cockroaches and spiders are my kryptonite. I will hurt myself getting outta the way of a damned cockroach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Cockroaches and spiders are my kryptonite. I will hurt myself getting outta the way of a damned cockroach.
I'll run screaming like a little b*tch from a cockroach, too. :lol:
Snakes are no big deal. I've seen numerous copperheads in my backyard here in Atlanta. At my home in Jax, we lived on a neighborhood lake and had water moccasins in our backyard weekly. Used to keep an old, rusty, long-handled shovel out back to **** with em.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cock roaches piss me off. I kill them with an unhealthy glee. I actually like spiders and will catch them when they're inside and release them outside (black widows and recluses aside - they get the same treatment as roaches but thankfully I've only seen a couple of these). I've always thought spiders were good because they eat roaches and ants, etc...

Snakes, however, go right to my lizard brain. It's all I can do not to scream like a little girl when I see one.

True story. Years ago my ex and I were living near Asheville. She was out of town and it was a lazy Sunday in late spring. I let the dogs out for a run and we came in through the back door. The back deck was only a little above ground level and had jalousie windows not too high up from ground level with screens that I had cranked open for the breeze. The dogs queued up at the door waiting for me to let them back in and I had only half noticed my ex's English Cocker staring at the window anxiously wagging his tail. I let the dogs in and they all barreled around the corner into that room - which was the formal dining room. I walked around the corner following them, and first noticed a screen pushed in. As I walked around the dining room table, I saw what had the dogs agitated. There was a huge black snake coiled on the floor facing the dogs. I don't remember doing it, but I'm sure I let out a horrified scream while hiking up my skirt and hopping around in circles. Before I retreated to my catatonic emotional happy place, I had the focus to grab the dogs and drag them off to lock them in a bedroom. From there, bad went to all levels of worse. I went back to the dining room and the friggin snake was gone. At that point, I can actually recall getting woozy, thinking there's a huge snake loose somewhere in the house.

We had just moved and all of my tools and garage stuff were still at my cabin, so I went to the nearest neighbor's house to borrow a flashlight and rake. The guy wasn't home, but his wife and 7 year old kid were (kid was cute - he loved the Crocodile Hunter and ran around catching things and saying "crikey"). They followed me home and as I started searching the house for the snake, she called me outside and pointed to a huge - had to be 6 feet - black snake on top of a woodpile not far from the opened window. The bastid let himself out the way he came in. It was what the locals called a black rat snake - non-venomous - and actually almost revered by the locals for controlling the varmint population. They were so common in WNC I would see one almost every day in spring and summer. My dogs ignored them - I saw the Cocker literally run right over one in pursuit of a squirrel or something - and I eventually learned to ignore them myself (wasn't easy at first). We all got along - as long as they stayed out of the damned house.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Snakes are no big deal. I've seen numerous copperheads in my backyard here in Atlanta. At my home in Jax, we lived on a neighborhood lake and had water moccasins in our backyard weekly. Used to keep an old, rusty, long-handled shovel out back to **** with em.

The hell is wrong with you??? :lol:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Snakes don't bother me at all! Don't really mind spiders either and usually try to save them when I find them inside. Roaches??? **** those things. Sas can tell you what happens when I see one in the house.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll run screaming like a little b*tch from a cockroach, too. :lol:

Never piss off a moccasin

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I pretty much kill any creepy crawler without care of its species or intentions. same goes with snakes. every snake is treated as though its an anaconda/king cobra hybrid that is out to kill my entire bloodline.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I pretty much kill any creepy crawler without care of its species or intentions. same goes with snakes. every snake is treated as though its an anaconda/king cobra hybrid that is out to kill my entire bloodline.

I'm the same. We've had a little black racer living around the house. The kids have absolutely loved tracking him and trying to find him, so I've put up with him. My wife went into the garage the other day and he was in there. So she said that's enough fun, it's time for it to die. So I'm watering some bushes and the little bastard just pokes his head up. Dead. I water some more bushes a few feet away literally 2 minutes later, and there is another one behind me. Dead. That's the problem with these things... they multiply.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have a pretty long Indigo that visits the backyard on a semi-regular basis. Elvis is at least 6 feet long and It scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it. It's freaky seeing a snake that long in your backyard the first time. When he shows up he acts like he owns the place and oddly enough the dogs aren't interested in him. I think he comes to ambush the frogs that hang out around the pool.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
**** Snakes.....

When I was 7 or 8, my younger brother and I were at a portion of the Santa Fe River only accessible by dirt road and a truck that could handle the road. My dad was fishing with a friend, so we went exploring as young kids did before pussification of our society. We walked up on a 4 foot moccasin. To this day I still don't know how he missed by leg on the first attempted strike, but I also didn't stick around for a second attempt. My brother and I ran through a Briar Patch for roughly 20-30 yards, as that ****er chased us. Made it back to the dirt road where a local farmer happened to hear us, and had two shovels. He took care of the snake.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm the same. We've had a little black racer living around the house. The kids have absolutely loved tracking him and trying to find him, so I've put up with him. My wife went into the garage the other day and he was in there. So she said that's enough fun, it's time for it to die. So I'm watering some bushes and the little bastard just pokes his head up. Dead. I water some more bushes a few feet away literally 2 minutes later, and there is another one behind me. Dead. That's the problem with these things... they multiply.
:sadnanner:

Those are completely harmless.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:sadnanner:

Those are completely harmless.

This is 100% not true. This one tried to jump out of the bushes and eat me. Then his brother saw what I did to him and he tried to attack me from behind. I'm expecting a full on riot any day now.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Generally I don't care about snakes, spiders or roaches. In fact one of the job duties of marrying my wife was to be her private cockroach assassin.

However at my old house, I had found a brown widow spider outside near the house. I didn't want my dog to get into it so I killed it and burned the egg sacks I didn't think anymore about it.

Two or so weeks later I go into my shed. I have to swat a spider Web aside and walk to the middle of it. I noticed alot more spider webs. I turned around saw a spider. I immediately recognized the orange on its belly. I think start noticing the rest of the spiders on their webs. It was something out of a horror movie. If there was one spider there had to be 10.

If anyone is curious, here is what a brown widow looks like. Significantly different from a black widow.

Brown_widow_spider_Latrodectus_geometricus_underside.jpg

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Generally I don't care about snakes, spiders or roaches. In fact one of the job duties of marrying my wife was to be her private cockroach assassin.

However at my old house, I had found a brown widow spider outside near the house. I didn't want my dog to get into it so I killed it and burned the egg sacks I didn't think anymore about it.

Two or so weeks later I go into my shed. I have to swat a spider Web aside and walk to the middle of it. I noticed alot more spider webs. I turned around saw a spider. I immediately recognized the orange on its belly. I think start noticing the rest of the spiders on their webs. It was something out of a horror movie. If there was one spider there had to be 10.

If anyone is curious, here is what a brown widow looks like. Significantly different from a black widow.

Brown_widow_spider_Latrodectus_geometricus_underside.jpg
That sounds like a scene out of arachnophobia! That I would not be cool with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator