Poll: How will our Men's Basketball team finish this season?

I know football is the dominant sport now, but we can't forget another sport which has resulted in m

• Final Four

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elite Eight

• Sweet 16

• Third Round (of 32)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Second Round (of 64)

• First Round (play-in games)

• NIT Tournament

• No postseason play (thus, sitting at home eating a Ham Sammich)

• Total voters

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I know football is the dominant sport now, but we can't forget another sport which has resulted in major athletic success. After last year's Fukushima of a season, I am curious to see if either (a) below .500 records are the norm or (b) we will return to March Madness success. It will be very surprising not seeing Billy D on the sidelines this season, but I totally supported his decision to try the NBA (especially with OKC). Anyways, here's what I know offhand about our team - Finney-Smith is our best player, Hill is our point guard, and we may or may not have some impact freshman (names are slipping my memory).
My view - Reaching the NCAA tournament will be a great accomplishment for this year. Reaching the NIT will be acceptable too if we are highly ranked. Like our beloved football team, I am guarded in my expectations.

As always, name and town if you wish to opine.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too many unknowns still. Blowing out Gulf Coast Atlantic school of basket weaving doesn't really tell much about what we can expect going forward.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, I need some convincing...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like to predict how well do in the tourney because we don't know the field or our draw. I think regular season win totals would be more appropriate for this pole.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n310428 said:
Originally posted by t-gator View Post
I think regular season win totals would be more appropriate for this pole.

Ewww
Why am I not surprised you jumped right on that?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I can't stand calling the play in games the first round, and the former first round the second round, etc. Also, Alex Murphy I'd out 6 to 8 weeks with a torn foot tendon. I'm not sure how much he was going to factor in, but that's a hit on depth.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No idea. We could have a great team and make a great run or we could have a lousy season and be watching the postseason from home. As Nav said, too many unknowns at this point with so many new players and a new coaching staff.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Better than expected, I hope!!! Now from the game it appears that we have not addressed our FT issue, still have point guard issues, and some of the other issues the team had last year. I hope some new blood, new coaches, and remembering how it felt not to have a post season will effect the team in a positive way.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
NIT should be the minimum. There are some early non-conference games that will be tough. I'm guessing we definitely finish better than last year's 16-17. So, 17-16? Or 18-15? Would we make the NIT w/ a 17-16 or 18-15 record?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have no idea how the team will be this year. I watched a little of the exhibition game and they looked OK, but not amazing. i'm really unsure of Mike White and how he is going to translate to the SEC. I hope he turns out to be a great hire.

It should be interesting to see what happens... if he can get this team to a decent tourney run they maybe he can start getting some recruits.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We are going to win it all!!!!!!!!

25-6 during the season

9-0 post season....cutting down the nets!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Size? Check
Athleticism? Check
Speed? Hell Check
Depth? Looks like Check
Experience? Nope
Shooting? :dunno:
Cohesiveness? who knows
Coaching? Don't recognize these guys. Hope they know what they're doing.

Bottom line is there are too many unknowns to accurately predict but it looks like we have size and athletes all over the floor and bench, so if these guys pull together and the coaching is at least average, this team should have potential to challenge for the SEC, and could make a lot of noise in the post-season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.