POLL: UF's greatest shots

What was the greatest shot in UF NCAA basketball history

• Greg "Tiny" Wiliam's 3 to beat James Madison in the first round in 1994 to start UF's final 4 run

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Mike Miller's layup to beat Butler in OT to start UF's run to the final game

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Corey Brewer's short jumper to seal the deal against Georgetown in 2006

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Chris "Cheese" Chiozza's 3 to beat the "cheese heads" of Wisconsin this year

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Lee for Three and his net ripping three pointer vs Oregon in the elite 8.

But I voted for Brewer at this point. If Corey doesn't make that we don't win the championship that year. Now if Cheese's shot spring boards us to win it all I may change my vote.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You still have time to add this to your list. I don't know how you can top this.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you meant "NCAA tournament." Oh well, it's still a pretty good one. :lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You still have time to add this to your list. I don't know how you can top this.

My poll is for NCAA tourney shots. Now I guess you could argue that maybe UF does not make the NCAA tourney as a 10 seed that year witout Parsons two buzzer beaters. But I will stick to actual shots in the NCAA tourney.

BTW, I agree with Lee4three that it is too early to really place the Chiozza shot. But it brought back memories of these great shots UF has hit to win NCAA tourney games so I wanted to list them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My poll is for NCAA tourney shots. Now I guess you could argue that maybe UF does not make the NCAA tourney as a 10 seed that year witout Parsons two buzzer beaters. But I will stick to actual shots in the NCAA tourney.

BTW, I agree with Lee4three that it is too early to really place the Chiozza shot. But it brought back memories of these great shots UF has hit to win NCAA tourney games so I wanted to list them.

Already corrected my post. Wasn't sure you meant March Madness.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you meant "NCAA tournament." Oh well, it's still a pretty good one. :lol:

Everything about that shot was perfect and it had to be. If it was off the side or back of the rim Parsons doesn't make it. And Dan Werner called it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Brewer's shot wasn't a buzzer beater or even the last points of the game. Miller's layup was in traffic at the buzzer (they reviewed it). Cheese's shot was a 3 at the buzzer - got to go with Cheese.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
... FINAL FOUR or Bust!! Gotta love a Team packing a little Karma plus talent and want to. :yes:

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mad Max from about 30 feet away against St. John's, for the winning 3-point shot with 7 seconds left in the first round of the West Regional.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014

Last nights shots with a little background music for Cheez
Can't watch it enough

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mad Max from about 30 feet away against St. John's, for the winning 3-point shot with 7 seconds left in the first round of the West Regional.

Thanks for pointing that one out. Odd I do not really remember that but of course games were harder to follow in those day and the program was about to be savaged by Arnsparger in his power play.

My thougts on the 4 I listed:

1. Without William's shot, UF may not have won that openning round game of the run to the final four. I believe it was tied so UF might have won it anyway without that shot. Now without the 1994 run, would Donovan have come to UF? That run certainly changed the view on what was possible at UF, but probably Donovan would have taken the job anyway.

2. Without Miller's shot, UF certainly would not have won that openning round game which led to UF's run to the title game. That title run kept the dogs at bay when the next few years UF could not get out of the first weekend. That run also might have made UF attractive enough to get Lee and White and then the 04s.

3. Brewer's shot was not quite a buzzer beater either, but it sealed UF winning the closest game it had in its first championship. So maybe UF would have won that game without that shot, but UF could have lost.

4. We really do not yet know what Chiozza's shot means, but every round UF advances with the successor to Donovan, the more White become a coach recruits will seriously listen too. Also this run this year is part of establishing UF as a basketball program beyond one coach.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Already corrected my post. Wasn't sure you meant March Madness.

No problem at all, I just figured this would be good for chatting today and as I said, maybe without that shot or both of Parson's buzzer beaters, UF does not get in the tourney that year. Getting in as often as possible is also important to building a program.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I was trying to find videos of the shots listed in poll, but the only one I could find, other than Chiozza's, was Mike Miller's lay-up to beat Butler.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was trying to find videos of the shots listed in poll, but the only one I could find, other than Chiozza's, was Mike Miller's lay-up to beat Butler.

Still remember that one vividly. I grew up in an old farmhouse that didn't have the highest ceilings in the world. When he made the shot, I jumped up and punched the ceiling by accident, cut my knuckles up. :lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Buzzer beaters where the PG gives up the ball as Dupay did in this one are particularly great.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chiozza's shot wins it. I still get goosebumps watching that ****.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not just that Chiozza made the shot. It's that he dribbled around defenders the length of the floor and made the runner as the buzzer sounded. That's the essence of clutch.

I think I want the ball in his hands again today if we need a bucket late.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I don't think their loss against SC diminishes the shot at all. He was there in the moment and made the perfect shot at the perfect time. One of the best shots ever.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Chiozza shot is the biggest ever because the most was at stake.

All the other shots listed laid a path to subsequent great things but those things were not on the table at the time. Chiozza's shot had the elite eight riding on it. Besides, it was the most difficult shot of the bunch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.