Positive news

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The easiest path for any SEC team to get to the Championship is without a playoff. Win the SEC, go to the Championship game. 2007 is a perfect example where the 2 loss SEC champ went to the title game.

That was an odd year, every conference champion sucked.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
when we run the table and upset bama in the SECCG, we're in!! no way we get left out with a loss to BSPN's butchboys b!tches

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A no loss SEC Champ is going to be ranked 1-2 guarantee. Playoff doesn't help us.
A one loss SEC Champ is going to be ranked 1-2 versus any other 1 loss team almost certainly. Playoff doesn't help us.
A one loss SEC Champ is going to be ranked 1-2 except when two perennials are unbeaten and even then I like our chances w/o a playoff.
A two loss SEC Champ. Who cares? That's loser talk. Even so LSU managed to make it to the title game with 2 losses - such is the power of the SEC.

In effect the playoffs just put another obstacle in our way to a natty. Besides, for us, playing F$U then the SEC CG is more than enough.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A one loss SEC Champ is going to be ranked 1-2 except when two perennials are unbeaten and even then I like our chances w/o a playoff.

In effect the playoffs just put another obstacle in our way to a natty. Besides, for us, playing F$U then the SEC CG is more than enough.

What ? If it got like it was some years back a 1 loss SEC team would have been left out of the BCS game some years because they would have been ranked # 3 if there were 2 power 5 undefeated teams. Having 4 teams stops that possibility barring some really crazy season with 4 power 5 undefeateds.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ima gonna argue just cuz its a slow day. Look back 10 years. At the end of the regular season an SEC team is always ranked in the top two. Boom auto title game. Look back another 5 and the same is true except the year both OSU and F$U were undefeated and we lost the last game to F$U. Arguably we had our playoff game and lost. More likely than not a 1 loss SEC team is going to be ranked ahead of everybody except two undefeated teams from both the BiG10 and the ACC. That doesn't happen often. More likely than not the SEC champ is going to be ahead of an undefeated Boise State or even BIG12 team. Our path to a title is easier without a playoff game because of the power of the SEC. That's not true for any other conference. We have an advantage and it is in our best interest to not have playoff games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ima gonna argue just cuz its a slow day. Look back 10 years. At the end of the regular season an SEC team is always ranked in the top two. Boom auto title game. Look back another 5 and the same is true except the year both OSU and F$U were undefeated and we lost the last game to F$U. Arguably we had our playoff game and lost. More likely than not a 1 loss SEC team is going to be ranked ahead of everybody except two undefeated teams from both the BiG10 and the ACC. That doesn't happen often. More likely than not the SEC champ is going to be ahead of an undefeated Boise State or even BIG12 team. Our path to a title is easier without a playoff game because of the power of the SEC. That's not true for any other conference. We have an advantage and it is in our best interest to not have playoff games.

My memory isnt the greatest but I used to follow the computers, strength of schedule formula used and polls etc. quite a bit during the BCS era and everything usually pointed to any undefeated big conference team finishing ahead of any 1 loss team even if the 1 loss team had a harder schedule due to the voters putting them over any 1 loss big conference team at the end. A 1 loss SEC team wasnt going to go over an undefeated other big conference winner even if it was a weaker big conference that year but it did allow teams that lost late and that didnt win their conference to get into the game some years over a conference winner when both teams had a loss.

Last edited:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
<< snip snip >> Our path to a title is easier without a playoff game because of the power of the SEC. That's not true for any other conference. We have an advantage and it is in our best interest to not have playoff games.

Law nailed it a few posts ago ... the SEC Championship IS in fact a playoff game. (And one that will always be in our path.)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My memory isnt the greatest but I used to follow the computers, strength of schedule formula used and polls etc. quite a bit during the BCS era and everything usually pointed to any undefeated big conference team finishing ahead of any 1 loss team even if the 1 loss team had a harder schedule due to the voters putting them over any 1 loss big conference team at the end. A 1 loss SEC team wasnt going to go over an undefeated other big conference winner even if it was a weaker big conference that year but it did allow teams that lost late and that didnt win their conference to get into the game some years over a conference winner when both teams had a loss.

Maybe 20 years ago but certainly not in the last 10 (even 15 or longer). The SEC champion would and did go to the title game by virtue of rankings after the championship game. The landscape has changed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To me, there came a groundswell of resentment that solely SEC teams were winning the NCs.
So somehow that "spell" has been broken ... except for uncooperative Saban is singlehandedly
bringing it back.? I think national pundits are okay admitting one coach is "greatest" but do not
like declaring one conference makes all others blah.??

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
In related news, everytime I see this thread title I keep thinking someone got popped for drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.