Gator Basketball Powerhouse Utah State too much for Gators to handle, 65-62

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Had some jackass, @gatorlobby, on twitter try and say that no matter how good coaching is that player's will always revert back to bad form in sports. This was preceded by me replying to a message about muscle memory and how coaches don't coach it. I said that it is a coaches job to work you into correct muscle memory. Also, seriously, if you can't coach a player to change at all because all they will do is what they want, then what is the point of coaches?

Funny thing is the same type of jackass are the ones who will say in football not to blame the players, but the coaches, but then in basketball the former 5 stars have no talent and White is an unquestionable, infallible god of the sport and the players are the ones to blame.

I don't know what's worse at this point the cult that defended/defends The Last Jedi or the cult that finds all the bad losses with the basketball talent we have as acceptable and blames the players and attributes absolute 0 blame to White.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had some jackass, @gatorlobby, on twitter try and say that no matter how good coaching is that player's will always revert back to bad form in sports. This was preceded by me replying to a message about muscle memory and how coaches don't coach it. I said that it is a coaches job to work you into correct muscle memory. Also, seriously, if you can't coach a player to change at all because all they will do is what they want, then what is the point of coaches?

Funny thing is the same type of jackass are the ones who will say in football not to blame the players, but the coaches, but then in basketball the former 5 stars have no talent and White is an unquestionable, infallible god of the sport and the players are the ones to blame.

I don't know what's worse at this point the cult that defended/defends The Last Jedi or the cult that finds all the bad losses with the basketball talent we have as acceptable and blames the players and attributes absolute 0 blame to White.

So when we watch other teams assimilate and play productive, team basketball quickly, we are to assume that those players possess some special talent or focus that allows them to overcome?
And all these years, schools have been paying millions for really good coaches and all this time it was all about muscle memory????

Doesn't this remind you of a politician?

You send these people to DC to do a job and they do nearly nothing you elected them to do.
Rather than accept responsibility, you are told that things are more complicated than you realize and that these things take a lot more time than you understand because most of the challenges are not the politician's fault...............denial is a powerful emotion.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Miller hasn't shown shcit. It would be stupid to fire a coach that can get us in the tournament every year for a coach with a just a couple of years experience as an assistant. And I don't wanna hear how good of a recruiter he is. Penny brought those kids in. We shouldn't make a move unless we know we're upgrading.

You'r not going to hear shcit from me about that. I was responding to the distant future, if you read the entire posts, which was about getting a tall pro, Patrick Ewing, small coaches with little dicks, etc.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In White, we've got a coach who can't remember what it's like to jump and probably never dunked a ball.
I like our poster who spotted Mike Miller working with Penny Hardaway at Memphis.
Miller, a Gator, has great character. He'd be a fine asset to represent the University of Florida.
White just might be a true high school coach .... or maybe HC at Central Michigan University.
Our guys need a real driving coach, a.s.a.p.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Miller as head coach? He has to put in his time for a few years I would say. Then he can add a staff like Udonis Haslem, Brett Nelson, Teddy Dupay, and Brent Wright. Its like a 90s Gator reunion all over again!

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Don't really pay much attention to the basketball team until tourney time, but from reading these BBall threads seems like this White fellow isn't excelling.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Don't really pay much attention to the basketball team until tourney time, but from reading these BBall threads seems like this White fellow isn't excelling.
I believe that decent fellow is trending downward with the knowledgeable basketball denizens of this fine establishment.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I believe that decent fellow is trending downward with the knowledgeable basketball denizens of this fine establishment.
Yeah, they seem to be a tough crowd. I mean he's already handily defeated North Florida, Towson and Marshall. What more could you expect for $65 million?

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Mike Miller as head coach? He has to put in his time for a few years I would say. Then he can add a staff like Udonis Haslem, Brett Nelson, Teddy Dupay, and Brent Wright. Its like a 90s Gator reunion all over again!

For Christs sake I agree! I figure it will take a while to get rid of Mike White.
If not, screw it. I just admired Millers game while in Memphis and speshly Miami, and noticed his smarts.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This missed open looks create some doubt in my mind regarding how much of a leash White should have after this season if it continues as is. But it is all his recruits, no? And shooting skills can be coached and drilled, right? And, there is so little motion and ball movement in his offense. It is the same offense we’ve seen all along. Is he coaching to his teams strengths?

So, I see the poor-shooting excuse as even more lame than giving Muschump an extra year for injuries. If this team doesn’t gel and make a nice run in the tournament (sweet 16 or better), White needs to be canned not just because his brand of hoops is variably effective, but because it is giant snooze fest.

I suggest seeking a soft landing, meaning only can him when we have a willing upgrade coach on the hook. White is not nearly as bad as Muschamp or Mac. A bit more like a calm and articulate version of Zook. No need to rush him out the door. Better to be patient about getting the right replacement. Then make the upgrade.

Thanks for the response, I was yelling at the TV for standing around.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It's just sad when you are watching a a Coach White coached team at UF and you just wait for the 2nd half scoring drought. At this point, it's his M.O. and the anticipation is too much to handle. It's just ridiculous at this point.

If Stricklin decides to pull the plug, he has no issues going big at first. He did that with Chip and he did that with the women's bball coach. The issue is he gets turned down, and then goes the safe choice. So he'll probably try to go big....call BD, call Stevens, call Beilein (the cavs stink and he may get canned). Who else would I call? Scott Drew (2-3 zone isn't my favorite), Marshall, shoot I'd call Anthony Grant too at this point.

But here's the issue. Stricklin gets turned down from big name candidates and goes safe. So he'll call Howland I suppose.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but nonrevenue sports should come last.

No spending the football facilities money on more nonrevenue sports.

Although I agree with the overall sentiment, I hate to be the one to break the news to you but men’s basketball is NOT a non revenue sport. Basketball contributes millions to the athletic budget each year
I have no problem with applying funds earned by the basketball program to fix the basketball program in an effort to ensure that it continues to contribute millions to the athletic budget in the years to come which frees up money for football
Just because you don’t follow the basketball program doesn’t mean it is meaningless or does not have value to the athletic program

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Although I agree with the overall sentiment, I hate to be the one to break the news to you but men’s basketball is NOT a non revenue sport.
A million or two is a splash in the 150 million bucket.

Buying out this useless azzhole takes money from football for a sport about 0.5% of Gators give a shyt about.

Hell no.

Maybe if we didn't have a pattern of delaying projects every time we fire coaches I have a different opinion.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A million or two is a splash in the 150 million bucket.

Buying out this useless azzhole takes money from football for a sport about 0.5% of Gators give a shyt about.

Hell no.

Maybe if we didn't have a pattern of delaying projects every time we fire coaches I have a different opinion.

My point is that basketball is not like Lacrosse or softball or the other nonrevs that Fooley loves and that the basketball problem can be solved within the budget of the basketball program.
It would only take “A million or two splash in the bucket” to fix even though the program actually contributes millions each year

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator