Recruiting Q&A w/ McElwain on Recruiting (ESPN)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/126096/florida-coach-jim-mcelwain-recruiting-qa

ESPN: Last year, you mentioned recruiting is a three-year process as far as building relationships. You’re now starting Year 2, how far in to that process do you feel you are?

Jim McElwain: I think we are definitely making up ground. We struck on some pretty good guys that first year, especially for how late we got a jump on it. We landed some guys that fit some specific needs. Having a full year and now another cycle with a crew of 17’s that we were able to start on as far as identification more than anything and where our roster needed some holes to be filled. Obviously there were some good players here, let’s call it the way it is. That’s a good thing, but on the flip side of that we knew there was a need to bring in some numbers at certain spots. We’ve answered some of that.

I’d say the biggest thing for us was saving up those mid-year spots and being actually to put some quality players in those mid-year spots. We brought in 12 of our signing class, so half of our signing class is here for spring practice at some real need areas. That’s the exciting piece. Getting them here early, identifying who and getting them convinced to come.

(more at the link)...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mac notes his office sucks, but doesn't care.

ESPN: The new indoor practice facility seems to be popular among the recruit. Have things advanced -- as far as facilities -- the way you have hoped?

JM: We’ve obviously got a commitment, which is great. Our administration understands there are some things that need to be addressed and they’ve been doing that. As with all things, you don’t magically wave a wand and they magically appear. The study of where to put things and how to do it has been well thought through. As these recruits are seeing, it’s like every cycle is going to have something knew. That’s what’s kind of exciting about that piece. The things we’re investing in are not the things, like this office, it’s not pretty, but who cares, it’s the things that truly touch the players in their everyday lives. That’s what we are investing in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
JM: We’ve obviously got a commitment, which is great. Our administration understands there are some things that need to be addressed and they’ve been doing that. As with all things, you don’t magically wave a wand and they magically appear.
Hmmmm.... So no, but you hope things change and Fooley honor's his word.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmmm.... So no, but you hope things change and Fooley honor's his word.
It irks me to no end that Florida is lagging behind others in its facilities. There is simply no excuse to be playing catch up with anybody, especially other SEC schools and God forbid, the school out west. Not only was the Chump a lousy coach, he didn't have the gravitas to encourage that fool Fooley to "get with the program." So now you have Mac hoping that the university can find the "where to put things". God, what a cluster fvk.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN: When you got to Florida, you hired several off-the-field staff members, is that something you will continue doing?

JM: I’d say I haven’t hired a lot. There weren’t any really. We aren’t even close to what other programs are doing and yet what we are bringing in are needs in those spots. We still don’t have the numbers,

So frustrating being so far behind on everything. Im not sure Mac is the guy, maybe we just had our best year under him as it took a good deal of luck and a better defense than we will likely have in the future, but at least he has Fooley heading in the right direction somewhat. The next HBC and AD wont be in nearly as bad of shape as it was a year ago.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So he's saying he'll be able to recruit better when he gets more personell, a new training center, new football dorms, a new office, ...... :blahblah:

Every coach before him recruited better without all of those things.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So he's saying he'll be able to recruit better when he gets more personell, a new training center, new football dorms, a new office, ...... :blahblah:

He's priming the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Not only was the Chump a lousy coach, he didn't have the gravitas to encourage that fool Fooley to "get with the program."

Will: Jeremy, as the HBC I need to let you know when we're at a disadvantage and need to make improvements in order to take that next step towards success. Can we increase our staff budget for the coaches?
Foley: Let me see what I can do.
Will: Nobody has said it yet but I suspect our boosters would kick in a lot to get our facilities upgraded like Bama has.
Foley: You may be right, I'll ask them.

Foley: Will, I was able to pull a few million together without going into debt. Where do we need to spend it?
Will: Well, our facilities ARE behind Bama's, but I'm still bringing in top 10 recruiting classes, so we are probably competitive enough. Likewise, I mentioned staff salaries, but with what we're paying Charlie Cheezeburger, and Pease, and now Roper I need to invest in a higher caliber coach rather than a fistful of mediocre coaches.
Foley: Understood. But who can we afford that would work in your program.
Will: The buck stops here.
Foley: I get that, and appreciate your owning responsibility for the program.
Will: No. The buck, the dollars, the moolah...it should go to me since I am responsible for the program.
Foley: Done!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every coach since 2009 has put a mediocre product on the field and been unable to recruit adequately at all positions.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Every coach since 2009 has put a mediocre product on the field and been unable to recruit adequately at all positions.
Yeah, you can only play so many 4-5* DBs at a time. I think we did manage to get 8 on the field at a time during several games, though. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right, but people seem to forget that Creyer started the skid with 2 classes with only 2 OL and the inability to land top WRs and RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.