QB Whisperer's Reaching Out to Barnett

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This just has such a bad, almost Muschamp era feel to it. Not only do we have 2 freshmen, we also have a firmly committed QB that has been one of our most vocal advocates, and is actively recruiting for us. Intentionally creating a log jam like this, or even just making it known that you'd be ok doing so(Barnett could still choose elsewhere) makes no sense.

We also have a decent shot with the 2018 kid that everyone's raving about. Why take someone else's scraps, specifically a player that has literally shown to fold the moment things don't go his way?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I look at this differently. When you think about injuries and how quickly a QB can transfer it doesn't hurt to build depth and getting a former 5* in 2018 wouldn't be bad. We are probably going to take 2 QBs in 2018... so why not make him one of them.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Alabama can take two 5 star QBs. I guess Florida should just be happy with whoever we can get.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You can never have too many quality QBs on your roster. After the turnstile of crap we've endured since Tebow left, you all should understand that.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see it as over abundance of talent as being our problem. It's recognizing the best players on the roster and developing them that has been the Achilles' heel.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You can never have too many quality QBs on your roster. After the turnstile of crap we've endured since Tebow left, you all should understand that.

While I understand your point, the irony of this situation is that clearly you can have too many quality QBs on your roster. Otherwise, he wouldn't be transferring. And keep in mind, it was a decision he made on September 29, less than a month after he started week 1. It's not as if he gave it a season and decided in Spring. He literally bolted the moment he lost the job.

To play out that scenario, let's say we bring him in, and a kid like Allen starts to reconsider joining a team with Del Rio, possibly 2 RSFr, and basically another RSFr in Barnett? Tough to blame him for that, imo. Four Qb's with little or no separation is unrealistic. Considering both he and BB would be available at the same time, I'd rather have the kid that's stood by us and is all Gator than a kid that we'd basically be getting because he didn't get his way somewhere else. All we have to go off is history, and his history would indicate he may very well do the same thing again. No thanks, imo.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
From the article "According to bylaw 14.5.6 in the NCAA transfer guide, Barnett as a 4-2-4 transfer (four-year institution, to a junior college, and back to a four-year institution), can be eligible one calendar year from the date of his transfer (either Sept. 28 or 29, depending on when the paperwork was filed) as long as he graduates with a GPA above 2.5 over an average of 12 hours per term at Palomar."

This is the reason that he transfered so early in the season, and was actually a brilliant move if his goal was to get back to playing asap. Also it took control away from Saban in terms of where he can transfer to. I'm all for getting as many talented QBs on campus as possible

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From what I heard on the radio, the timing of his decision is directly related to being eligible for Spring ball at schools that are on a quarterly system, which includes 6 PAC 12 teams, where he's from. Apparently if he wants to keep those schools in his options, he has to announce his decision now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
While I understand your point, the irony of this situation is that clearly you can have too many quality QBs on your roster. Otherwise, he wouldn't be transferring. And keep in mind, it was a decision he made on September 29, less than a month after he started week 1. It's not as if he gave it a season and decided in Spring. He literally bolted the moment he lost the job.

To play out that scenario, let's say we bring him in, and a kid like Allen starts to reconsider joining a team with Del Rio, possibly 2 RSFr, and basically another RSFr in Barnett? Tough to blame him for that, imo. Four Qb's with little or no separation is unrealistic. Considering both he and BB would be available at the same time, I'd rather have the kid that's stood by us and is all Gator than a kid that we'd basically be getting because he didn't get his way somewhere else. All we have to go off is history, and his history would indicate he may very well do the same thing again. No thanks, imo.
I know you're not a big fan of transfers and I get that. But we can't mortgage the farm for jake allen. If this kid is eligible next year, taking him is a no brainer. Do you really feel good about the qb situation next year?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Do we really need another guy to hold the clipboard while Trask leads us to glory next year?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jake Allen, by his good character, is already a GatorNation favorite son. So, he's at present a 4* QB.
For years we've witnessed several NC Bama QBs that did not impress us much. Now comes 5* Barnett
who got beat out by a Bama freshman ?? Still, would Allen relish the competition/cooperation with a
5* teammate? Spurrier often seemed to have a potential starter in the wings, who often got some
playing time. Plus, Franks is already here and may be our best future QB.?? I'd love to have several
worthy QBs.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Well this board already hates LDR and Trask, and who knows what we'll get from Franks. Might as well bring in more competition.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Muschamp - bring in 20 DBs and those that can't start move to other positions or other schools. Screw recruiting offensive players.

Mac - bring in a dozen QBs and those that can't start move to other positions or other schools. Screw recruiting defensive players.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Do we really need another guy to hold the clipboard while Trask leads us to glory next year?

Exactly! They would be wasting a scholly. Jesus in cleats is taking the reigns of the gator offense next year. The fun-n-gun will be back. Bama's time will be over.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know the current landscape of college ball where QB's are concerned seems to be painted with mercenary, "me first" type players that bolt at the first sign of 2nd team status, but after all the problems we've had at the position for the last several years I can't get all warm about the ex-Bama kid. I know there are probably some good ones among the seasonal transfers, but I'd sure rather see us get a good one (or two) out of HS each year and develop him at UF first (but that's been an ongoing problem, hasn't it?). Feels like we're stuck in a cycle of having to find a string of transfers now. I'd like to think Allen can come in and become the guy by his second year, but even if so, the transfer deal may be better than the current recruited QB's on the roster :dunno:. Franks is a talented and versatile athlete, but having seen him in HS I believe he's still a couple of seasons away.

Somebody help me, but did we have a one year recruiting gap between Grier and Treon and Trask/Franks? If so, and the two previous guys are busts, you kinda get stuck almost permanently in the transfer lottery. I just can't see how more than a year here or there can be good for you in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator