Ray Liotta dead at 67

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

Goodfellas star Ray Liotta, 67, dies in his sleep in Dominican Republic where he was filming Dangerous Waters

Goodfellas star Ray Liotta has died in his sleep in the Dominican Republic at the age of 67 where he was filming Dangerous Waters.

The legendary gangster actor passed away on the Caribbean island halfway through recording the movie about a sailing holiday spiraling out of control.

It is not yet clear what he died of or when but there is understood to be no suspicion of foul play. He leaves behind his fiance Jacy Nittolo as well as his daughter Karsen.

Tributes flooded in for the beloved film star, with fellow actors, celebrities and politicians all paying their respects to him on Thursday afternoon.

Liotta's sudden death shocked fans as he embarked on a huge resurgence in recent years, staring alongside up and coming thespians such as Taron Egerton.

But he was perhaps best known for his incredible performance in Martin Scorsese's 1990 classic Goodfellas, where he played Henry Hill while Robert De Niro took on the role of Jimmy Conway.

He also featured in The Many Saints of Newark, Marriage Story and No Sudden Move in more recent years.

Doesn't appear to be anything political or controversial about it...yet...but I'll go ahead and post it here because I'm pretty sure there will end up being more to the story. Highly doubtful that someone who lives the cushy life of a movie star, with nutritionists, personal trainers, regular checkups, etc., would just die in their sleep of purely natural causes at the age of 67.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I was majorly hyped to see The Many Saints of Newark, and on the whole I'd say it turned out to be a bit of a letdown, but Ray Liotta was great in it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just heard this on the radio. Sad news. I didn't realize he was 67 (thought he was in his early 60's). He put out some good movies. RIP

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Being only half Italian, I find the Henry Hill character to be very relatable and have always been fascinated with it. Liotta’s performance in that movie is beyond remarkable. You can watch it again and again, and as great as the movie is as a whole, he is more impressive every time. The range is something I don’t think anyone else could’ve done.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Being only half Italian, I find the Henry Hill character to be very relatable and have always been fascinated with it. Liotta’s performance in that movie is beyond remarkable. You can watch it again and again, and as great as the movie is as a whole, he is more impressive every time. The range is something I don’t think anyone else could’ve done.
I haven't gone out of my way to sit down and watch Goodfellas in 20 years or more, but during that time I've watched it many times anyway. Every time I am randomly flipping channels and land on it, there I stay.

Often the scenario is, I am scrolling through the channel guide and I see that Goodfellas is on. So I click on it, only intending to watch a little bit of it as it plays in the background while I am continuing to scroll through the guide. But in the end I go through the whole guide and don't see anything I'd rather watch.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Highly doubtful that someone who lives the cushy life of a movie star, with nutritionists, personal trainers, regular checkups, etc., would just die in their sleep of purely natural causes at the age of 67.
I don't know. They keep a statistic called "premature deaths" that is deaths of anyone under 65. That really implies that once you are 65 you are just expected to die any day.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I don't know. They keep a statistic called "premature deaths" that is deaths of anyone under 65. That really implies that once you are 65 you are just expected to die any day.
I don't know who "they" are, but that seems pretty outdated. It's like Ox was saying about the speed limit still being 55 or 65, even though cars these days are engineered to drive comfortably and safely at 85mph or faster.

Part of the problem with our spiraling Medicare debt is that it was set up years ago to kick in at age 65, because people typically didn't live much longer than that. That's not the case anymore. The costs have gone up exponentially as people are commonly living well into their 90's, while racking up medical bills to pay for the technological advances that keep them going.

Anyway, I am betting that the final report on Ray Liotta will not be that he died peacefully in his sleep of old age.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I first became aware of him in 'Something Wild' (1986) - mainly because parts of it were filmed in Tallahassee.
Also.. he was pretty creepy in that movie.
Great actor.

And - 'Field of Dreams'... fantastic as Shoeless Joe Jackson.

RIP Ray

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

So what you’re a saying is it doesn’t matter. Because whether I go to jail or whether I stay on the streets and beat the case, I’m a dead man.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Had some fantastic parts, but Goodfellas stands out. I believe he’s had previous health issues if I remember correctly.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I first became aware of him in 'Something Wild' (1986) - mainly because parts of it were filmed in Tallahassee.
Also.. he was pretty creepy in that movie.
Great actor.

And - 'Field of Dreams'... fantastic as Shoeless Joe Jackson.

RIP Ray

lol- somebody showed up at our house that was scouting houses to use for the Something Wild movie.
Mom said no.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
My original thread title said, "Unless you're a chick or a soyboy, the star of your favorite movie has died in his sleep at age 67."

Please allow me to express my MOST sincere apologies to whichever soyboy took offense and felt the need to change it.

Meanwhile at this point it's looking pretty likely that Ray Liotta didn't just die of some sudden and unforeseen but naturally-occurring ailment, or they probably would've said what it was by now.

If he was living with some kind of life-threatening condition, the film studio would've known about it already and could've said that's what did him in. He was in the middle of filming for a lead role in a studio production. Those studios always make leading actors take full physicals before signing movie deals with them, for insurance purposes.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
WXrksL2mDZSv.jpeg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
His whole career was one great role in Goodfellas.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyway, I am betting that the final report on Ray Liotta will not be that he died peacefully in his sleep of old age.
No one actually dies "of old age." That's a euphemism. "Natural causes" include things like heart attacks, strokes, cancer, and disease.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
He was sexy as hell in his prime. One of my all time faves. I also have to watch Goodfellas every time it's on. RIP, sir.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
...Highly doubtful that someone who lives the cushy life of a movie star, with nutritionists, personal trainers, regular checkups, etc., would just die in their sleep of purely natural causes at the age of 67.

67 years old in the DR is like 97 in a first world country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator