Re-watching the game

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And the pass Harris makes to Dunbar at around 9:00 left in the 2nd quarter (to the Vandy 1 right before Driskel scores) is awesome. Dude can zip-it when he needs to.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Going forward, they need to dial up a few more quick passes. The O-line got banged up last night so next week may need to be another run first / quick pass game.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They should put in a package of designed roll outs with a run/pass option for him. Take the pressure off the o line and let treon use his athleticism. This o line has been one of the better units we have had in a while, but the knicks and bruises are piling up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Having Treon back there, remaining composed under pressure and completing passes, will ensure we aren't forced to try to run into an 8 man box on every play. It makes the opposing OC's job much more difficult.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Not that big a fan of rolling the pocket so often. It limits your passing options. Treon seems to see the field well enough that I like him having full field options. With Vandy having the overhang player to prevent the outside run, that defender got in Treon's face pretty quickly. Thought the line protected pretty well last night for his throws from the pocket.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. I liked it with Driskel because he was going to roll right anyway and he throws better out of the pocket.

Treon can run but I don't want to see too many designed runs or run pass options. Lets keep him healthy because we know what we'll get with the #2 guy. We have a stable of backs to do the running and a group of receivers who are looking better to gain yardage the easier way.

Yesterday wasn't a great day passing, but 300 yards was much better than what we've seen for most of the past decade. The QB and WRs have a much higher ceiling than that.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;101144 said:
Having Treon back there, remaining composed under pressure and completing passes, will ensure we aren't forced to try to run into an 8 man box on every play. It makes the opposing OC's job much more difficult.
What kind of witchcraft are you pimping now? Make the defense defend the whole field? Crazy talk.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I knew someone would see through my scam.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Coach9;n101146 said:
Not that big a fan of rolling the pocket so often. It limits your passing options. Treon seems to see the field well enough that I like him having full field options. With Vandy having the overhang player to prevent the outside run, that defender got in Treon's face pretty quickly. Thought the line protected pretty well last night for his throws from the pocket.

Agree, Treon is so quick on the field it cuts down the time for the WRs to get open it seems, all the good completions came from the pocket. He is so much quicker than Driskel with everything he does and a lot calmer doing it. He looks like a more talented T. Murphy. I wonder how different this team would have looked over the last 3 years if we would have had a QB like this from the start.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Seeing how limited JD is on game day gives me a renewed appreciation for the 2012 season. Staff did an outstanding job of playing low margin football and squeezing out a BCS bowl team. That would not have been possible without the near flawless safety play that virtually eliminated easy scores and big plays.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101229 said:
Seeing how limited JD is on game day gives me a renewed appreciation for the 2012 season. Staff did an outstanding job of playing low margin football and squeezing out a BCS bowl team. That would not have been possible without the near flawless safety play that virtually eliminated easy scores and big plays.

I just like your avatar. That is all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101229 said:
Seeing how limited JD is on game day gives me a renewed appreciation for the 2012 season.
It gives me a renewed disbelief that this coaching staff could overlook such an obvious lack of ability and bullheadedly insist on losing games with a trash QB who struggled to throw for 100 yards.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Law98gator;n101956 said:
It gives me a renewed disbelief that this coaching staff could overlook such an obvious lack of ability and bullheadedly insist on losing games with a trash QB who struggled to throw for 100 yards.

If you look at that 2012 season, JD made really nice improvement over the course of the 1st four games. Progress seemed to stop there. But that also coincided with a high ankle sprain that limited him some physically the remainder of the season. So I don't think the staff could pronounce final judgment on a kid that was a 1st year starter. There have been countless QBs that looked clueless there first season but developed into real solid players.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I re-watched the game and was happy to confirm that the mid-range passes opened up the longer passes. Harris has nice touch, can zip when he needs to, and can throw the long ball to the right place most of the time. So, all that is missing in the passing game is the 7-12 yard pass in the middle to a TE or a wide receiver slant. O-line pass blocking was okay, run blocking uninspired at times. D-Rob giving all out effort in blocking downfield. VHIII is a star and Tabor has star potential written all over him. Was actually pleased with the overall effort.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TallyGator;n102245 said:
I re-watched the game and was happy to confirm that the mid-range passes opened up the linger passes. Harris has nice touch, can zip when he needs to, and can throw the long ball to the right place most of the time. So, all that is missing in the passing game is the 7-12 yard pass in the middle to a TE or a wide receiver slant. O-line pass blocking was okay, run blocking uninspired at times. D-Rob giving all out effort in blocking downfield. VHIII is a star and Tabor has star potential written all over him. Was actually pleased with the overall effort.

Next year's secondary will be VH3, Tabor, with either Dawson, Harris or Neal at the safety spots. We also have Quincy Wilson and JC Jackson(who was killing it in camp) in the mix. Pretty stout.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n102256 said:
Next year's secondary will be VH3, Tabor, with either Dawson, Harris or Neal at the safety spots. We also have Quincy Wilson and JC Jackson(who was killing it in camp) in the mix. Pretty stout.

Future is bright as always for the secondary.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n102256 said:

next years d line will be pretty stout with cox, McAlister, Brantley, Bullard, Ivey,Willis. Likely cece and cowart will be part of that rotation. Heck we still don't know what we have with Clark and Holley two all Americans. Our defense should be very talented next year.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;102270 said:
soflagator;n102256 said:
next years d line will be pretty stout with cox, McAlister, Brantley, Bullard, Ivey,Willis. Likely cece and cowart will be part of that rotation. Heck we still don't know what we have with Clark and Holley two all Americans. Our defense should be very talented next year.
Ivey is going to become a beast IMO

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Now if only the paid adults on the sideline can get it together...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator