Recommendations on Window or Portable A/C Units

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I know this is more of a "central a/c" crowd, but we got some slumlords and at least one Bammer in our midst. So maybe someone here can help me.

Does anyone have experience with either windows a/c units or portable a/c units?

I'm moving to a house with a garage that was partially converted to an interior space by the previous owner. We're eventually going to extend the a/c ducts and properly insulate the room, but I intend to use the space in the meantime. It's about 400 square feet.

I'm reading online reviews about the various brands' effectiveness and noise levels, and now I'm more confused than when I started looking.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand or style or size?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I know this is more of a "central a/c" crowd, but we got some slumlords and at least one Bammer in our midst. So maybe someone here can help me.

Does anyone have experience with either windows a/c units or portable a/c units?

I'm moving to a house with a garage that was partially converted to an interior space by the previous owner. We're eventually going to extend the a/c ducts and properly insulate the room, but I intend to use the space in the meantime. It's about 400 square feet.

I'm reading online reviews about the various brands' effectiveness and noise levels, and now I'm more confused than when I started looking.

My son bought a new house a couple of years ago and in addition to the central HVAC it came with one of those garage splitter units. He says it works pretty well in the Texas heat.
Once he gets back to me on the brand name, I’ll shoot it over

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Mitsubishi Electric makes some very nice ductless systems that you may want to take look at.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mitsu and LG are heavily in that trade space. Go to the middle east and you can't throw a sand stone without hitting some tan hut with one of those units connected to it. I had an LG unit in the quanza hut I lived in for a year, middle of the freaking scorching desert. As long as you did the scheduled maintenance on it it did well.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
My son bought a new house a couple of years ago and in addition to the central HVAC it came with one of those garage splitter units. He says it works pretty well in the Texas heat.
Once he gets back to me on the brand name, I’ll shoot it over

LG
LSN120HEV2

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Thank you all! This is helpful!

200w.gif

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

A couple of thoughts for you but I'm sure there are some better "experts" here.

1) Window unit is a more semi-permanent solution and would be more secure but could still be removed with some effort. Is security a concern?

2) Portable unit could be moved around but still needs to vent to the outside. We used one for a while until we could replace our upstairs unit with a larger one. If you are concerned about someone breaking in through the window, I wouldn't use a portable unit.
1714041702442.png

We have a FROG that we wanted to expand our existing HVAC to and it couldn't be done. We looked into a splitter like @Gatordiddy mentioned. Definitely worth considering this option. They are fairly reasonable too.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
After Hurricane Ian we moved into a place that had inadequate AC. I added a Daikin mini-split and it does a great job supplementing the main AC. The evap unit is mounted at the bottom of a window, and the condensing unit is on a small pad just outside. Nice cold air.
Just yesterday I ordered an Amana window unit on Amazon for a porch that was closed in, 8000 btu about $250.00.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Layla here’s another option. It’s U shaped window unit ideal for single-hung windows.
Amazon product
Since there’s a small gap where the window closes between the inside & outside units, the window lock may not latch but that can be resolved with a locking security bar installed above the sash. This is what I would have purchased except I have slider windows on the patio, so I’m putting in a standard window unit through the wall.
8000 btu will cool up to 350 sf. You may need 10000 btu unit.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I had a Penguin portable that was great. Like in CD's photos. It was also a heater and dehumidifier.
I second LG or Frigidaire window units, they're a good price and value.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Mitsubishi Electric makes some very nice ductless systems that you may want to take look at.
I put in a ductless in an 800 sq ft florida room with east facing glass doors along 40' length.

Mitsubishi. It was 220 though. Does a great job. Installed it my self. 5 years with no issues.

I've used a portable but would not recommend. Not very efficient and you have to put the condensate somewhere and vent to the outside.

The window units now kind of suck. The "brand" names have all been bought up by cheap companies.

If you're only planning on a year or two, Mr.Cool. Stay away from GE. Quality absolutely sucks. I had to exchange the same unit ( 400 sqft) 3 times in an upstairs bedroom. Great warranty ... but who wants to take it out, load it in the car, go to Home Depot, lug it out, lug it up, and reinstall - 3 times in 2 years.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Mrs and I for a little over a decade put a seperate unit in our bedroom to drop the temp at night without messing with the house A/C, drop our room to 62 in the summer months... the LG unit worked for a decade before we sold it while moving to Gainesville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.