The National Signing Day Thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer built his entire staff while Fickell coached the team. They essentially had two full coaching staffs w Meyer's staff out recruiting and the interim/lame-duck staff coaching the bowl game (vs. UF and Will Muschamp).
And every other team bytched. NCAA has not allowed this since.

Also, Creyer didn't get hired until after the regular season, Nov 28th 2011 I think but you can Google it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-randy-russell-class

Gators pledge Randy Russell explains how Florida’s class has stayed intact

Randy Russell talks recruiting
When college football coaches get fired, recruiting classes are always at risk of collapsing.

Other programs pounce on those prospects and that usually leads to a few de-commitments. Tennessee lost four class members after the school canned Butch Jones.

Fortunately for the Gators, they’ve had just one defection (4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase) since Jim McElwain’s departure on Oct. 29. Why haven’t more commits jumped ship?

“Leadership,” Florida pledge Randy Russell said. “There’s more leaders in the class. If we didn’t have the leaders we have, then the class would fall apart easy.”

Russell, a 4-star safety from Miami Coral City, is one of those leaders in a class that ranks No. 9 nationally in the 247Sports Composite.

Top-50 quarterback Matt Corral also falls under that category, along with 4-star athletes Amari Burney and Iverson Clement.

“Once we heard the [McElwain] news, me and Matt pretty much talked to the guys to see where their heads were,” Russell said. “A lot of guys were scared and kind of iffy, and a lot of guys were on board.

“The guys who were unsure and didn’t know what to do, we tried to persuade them [to] just stick through it. They’re going to hire somebody good.”

Russell said he communicates with all of the commits in a group chat a few times a week. The nation’s No. 12 safety is confident that Florida’s class will stay together.

“Yes sir,” Russell said when asked. “I’m still on everybody. Even the ones I know are 100 percent, I’m still checking on them. We’re just waiting on the new coach.”

Randy Russell on coaching search
A few Florida commits and targets have expressed their desire for Chip Kelly to get the job.

Russell likes the former Oregon coach as well, but doesn’t have a preferred candidate.

“All the names that have been thrown out, I feel like all of them are great coaches,” Russell said. “It’s always good to learn from a new pool of coaches. Every coach has a different way of teaching, so I’m all about soaking up new knowledge and different ways to better my game. So whoever they hire, I’m grateful.”

Russell told SEC Country he will sign with the Gators on Dec. 22 no matter whom they hire. Even with Georgia and others still pursuing, Russell said he and his mother are set on Florida.

“There’s no other school that I went to where I felt like home,” Russell said. “My mom loves Florida. If I wanted to de-commit, she wouldn’t like that. She loves Florida, so whatever makes her happy.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This ain't good....

Florida Commit To Visit Auburn
Gators commit sets SEC visit

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-Gators-commit-to-visit-Auburn-Tigers--110914396

Since the splitting of ties with former Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain, Tampa (Fla.) Cambridge Christian offensive tackle Richard Gouraige has stated interest in visiting other colleges. This weekend the four-star big man will see the Auburn Tigers as they host No. 1 Alabama for their Iron Bowl rivalry.

Gouraige took to Twitter to announce his latest visit.

Gouraige was the latest pledge to join the Gators 2018 recruiting class when he pulled the trigger back in October over finalist Clemson. Since the firing of McElwain, Gouragie has remained committed, but has obvious concerns about the future.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, currently ranks Gouragie as the No. 106 overall prospect in the 2018 recruiting class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida commit Jaleel McRae sticking with Gators through coaching change

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-jaleel-mcrae

Jaleel McRae still solid
Florida has lost one verbal commitment since Jim McElwain’s departure last month, but it didn’t come from the Gators’ top-ranked 2019 class.

All 12 commits have decided to remain with UF through the coaching change, including top-50 overall recruit Jaleel McRae. The 4-star safety from New Smyrna Beach was Florida’s first 2019 pledge and calls himself the leader of the class.

“We talk every day and keep checking up on everybody,” McRae said of the 2019 commits. “It’s like a brotherhood and we’re not even at the University of Florida yet. We all want Chip Kelly to come, especially JD [John Dunmore].

“We all want him to come because the offense will be rolling. The future of this program is going to be bright, and sometimes you have to go through hell to get to heaven.”

Despite his preference for Kelly, McRae — like fellow UF safety commits Amari Burney and Randy Russell — said he plans to stick with the Gators regardless.

“I committed to the logo and not the coach,” McRae told SEC Country. “What that means is it doesn’t matter who the coach is, you gotta love the coach. The logo means something special to you, and these boys don’t think it matters who the coach is. You have to think I can come in my freshman year and lose whoever is the next coach.”

That being said, McRae’s affinity for Florida dates back to his childhood and that factors into his firm commitment.

“I’ve always been a life-long Florida fan since I was like five years old,” McRae said. “My house is full of Gators, my family is full of Gators, and my room is full of Gators. I have posters, my wall is blue, and on my door, it says ‘Only Gators Get Out Alive.’ ”

McRae is ranked the nation’s No. 4 safety and No. 47 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite. He returned to UF last weekend for the Florida-UAB game.

“It’s always good to be back in Gainesville,” McRae said. “Coach [Randy] Shannon is doing a good job. He’s a good man and we only see what he does on Saturdays. But Monday through Friday, he’s getting those boys right.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can't imagine we only want 1 LB:

Commits (18)
Top 5 targets
4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)

4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.)

4-star OL Nicholas Petit-Frere, Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)

4-star DE Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

4-star LB Richard Jibunor, Athens Christian (Athens, Ga.)

Position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed at the position:

• QB: 1/1 (Corral)
  • RB: 2/2 (Clement, Pierce)
  • TE: 2/2 (Lang, Pitts)
  • WR: 3/5 (Copeland, Gammage, Thornton)
  • OL: 2/5 (Dunlap, Gouraige)
  • DL: 1/3 (Upshaw)
  • LB: 1/1 (Reese)
  • DB: 3/4 (Russell, Wilson, Williams)
  • ATH: 3/3 (Bethel, Burney, Williams)
Geographical breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of Florida’s commits by state:

• California: 1 (Corral)
  • Florida: 14 (Bethel, Burney, Copeland, Dunlap, Gammage, Gouraige, Lang, Reese, Russell, Thornton, Upshaw, D. Williams, J. Williams, Wilson)
  • Georgia: 1 (Pierce)
  • New Jersey: 1 (Clement)
  • Pennsylvania: 1 (Pitts)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bye bye to our only DL commit:

Taylor Upshaw decommits from Florida, commits to Michigan

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/taylor-upshaw-decommits-florida-commits-michigan

The Florida Gators have lost a commitment from 3-star defensive end Taylor Upshaw on Friday as he announced that he has now committed to the Michigan Wolverines.

From Bradenton, Fla., Upshaw had originally committed to the Gators on June 10, 2017.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mullen (or whoever TF it is) needs to get to work asap!

Jacob Copeland, Taylor Upshaw both big losses for Florida’s 2018 class

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-jacob-copeland-taylor-upshaw

Florida’s 2018 recruiting class lost two more members this weekend and fell outside of the top 10.

Top-100 wide receiver Jacob Copeland backed off his pledge Saturday and 3-star defensive end Taylor Upshaw flipped to Michigan on Friday after arriving in Ann Arbor for his official visit.

Their de-commitments dropped Florida’s class — now at 16 commits — to No. 13 nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Copeland’s decision is a huge blow for the Gators, who already lost a commitment earlier this month from top-100 wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase. Their departures have put Florida’s class in trouble at wide receiver, one of the biggest team needs in the 2018 cycle.

UF still has two commits at the position in Corey Gammage and Tyquan Thornton, as well as athlete Jalynn Williams. Thornton is expected to stick with the Gators, but staff changes may cause Gammage to re-open his recruitment.

Williams could play cornerback or receiver at Florida, but Auburn is recruiting him strictly as a corner. The Tigers offered Williams earlier this month during his official visit to the Plains.

The Gators need to do all they can to hang on to the current commits, because there’s not a lot of WR options on their recruiting board. Anthony Schwartz had been favoring Florida since the spring, but named Auburn his leader Saturday.

Uncommitted receivers Jalen Hall and Justin Watkins are also some names to keep an eye on, but UF is not a serious contender for either prospect at this time.

It will take a big-name hire for the Gators to get back in the mix for Copeland/Chase and improve their standing with Schwartz, Watkins and others.

As for Upshaw, he was an important piece of Florida’s class for a few reasons. He filled another position of need for the Gators and had extra value as an early enrollee, which helps his chances of cracking the rotation as a freshman.

Florida must sign some quality defensive ends in this class due to CeCe Jefferson’s potential jump to the NFL and the uncertain futures of suspended players Keivonnis Davis and Jordan Smith.

But with Upshaw off the board, Oregon commit Malcolm Lamar eliminating Florida and Andrew Chatfield trending toward Miami, the Gators may have a tough time meeting their DE needs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Recruits react to Dan Mullen’s hiring at Florida

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/recruits-react-dan-mullen-florida

Here is reaction to the news from Gators commits and targets.

* — indicates eary enrollee

*4-star ATH Amari Burney (Florida commit):

“I’m just looking forward to Coach Mullen. Let’s go get Florida back where they need to be. The fans deserve it better than what they’ve been getting.”

3-star OL Ed Montilus (uncommitted):

“I like it. Once he comes in, I want to talk to him and get used to him. Just hope they keep Coach [Brad] Davis.”

4-star WR Frank Ladson (2019 Florida commit):

“I’m excited. I’ve been hearing good things about him and what he’s done in the past for UF.”

4-star WR John Dunmore (2019 Florida commit):

“Dan Mullen is just a great coach all-around. He almost beat Alabama at Mississippi State, so … yeah.”

5-star OL Kardell Thomas (2019 LSU commit):

“It’s kind of crazy, honestly. I don’t see why he would leave State, but it’s business. Most definitely a good hire for Florida.”

3-star OL Andrew Coker (2019 Florida commit):

“I’m excited to see what Coach Mullen can bring offensively. I’m still committed. This is my dream.”

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
Corral tweeted “done deal. 100”.

I hope that means 100% Gator but cryptic enough that it could mean other things. He also retweeted what seems to be a friend and his commitment to UCLA, so who really knows. We need Corral here.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a story on 247 about Mullen and JUCO recruiting (it's a VIP story so can't link it here).

I'm not an advocate of JUCO recruiting, but I think - in this day and age of CFB - it's a necessity. Alabama has had great luck w/ JUCO's, so has Auburn, Miss State (Mullen), and many other programs.

We have some serious holes to fill on our roster right now and adding some quality JUCO's isn't a bad solution. We have one committed right now, but we could easily add a JUCO at several positions - mostly at LB, DT, OL, S, and WR (basically the entire roster!! :D )...

Kalif Jackson announced his transfer. We should hear about the Credit Card 9 soon.....and the early NFL departures. I suspect we add at least 28 players in this year's class (w/ early enrollee's, JUCO's, plus the HS kids in July).

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
There's a story on 247 about Mullen and JUCO recruiting (it's a VIP story so can't link it here).

I'm not an advocate of JUCO recruiting, but I think - in this day and age of CFB - it's a necessity. Alabama has had great luck w/ JUCO's, so has Auburn, Miss State (Mullen), and many other programs.

We have some serious holes to fill on our roster right now and adding some quality JUCO's isn't a bad solution. We have one committed right now, but we could easily add a JUCO at several positions - mostly at LB, DT, OL, S, and WR (basically the entire roster!! :D )...

Kalif Jackson announced his transfer. We should hear about the Credit Card 9 soon.....and the early NFL departures. I suspect we add at least 28 players in this year's class (w/ early enrollee's, JUCO's, plus the HS kids in July).

Sounds like a fire sale!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mullen (or whoever TF it is) needs to get to work asap!

Jacob Copeland, Taylor Upshaw both big losses for Florida’s 2018 class

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-jacob-copeland-taylor-upshaw

Florida’s 2018 recruiting class lost two more members this weekend and fell outside of the top 10.

Top-100 wide receiver Jacob Copeland backed off his pledge Saturday and 3-star defensive end Taylor Upshaw flipped to Michigan on Friday after arriving in Ann Arbor for his official visit.

Their de-commitments dropped Florida’s class — now at 16 commits — to No. 13 nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Copeland’s decision is a huge blow for the Gators, who already lost a commitment earlier this month from top-100 wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase. Their departures have put Florida’s class in trouble at wide receiver, one of the biggest team needs in the 2018 cycle.

UF still has two commits at the position in Corey Gammage and Tyquan Thornton, as well as athlete Jalynn Williams. Thornton is expected to stick with the Gators, but staff changes may cause Gammage to re-open his recruitment.

Williams could play cornerback or receiver at Florida, but Auburn is recruiting him strictly as a corner. The Tigers offered Williams earlier this month during his official visit to the Plains.

The Gators need to do all they can to hang on to the current commits, because there’s not a lot of WR options on their recruiting board. Anthony Schwartz had been favoring Florida since the spring, but named Auburn his leader Saturday.

Uncommitted receivers Jalen Hall and Justin Watkins are also some names to keep an eye on, but UF is not a serious contender for either prospect at this time.

It will take a big-name hire for the Gators to get back in the mix for Copeland/Chase and improve their standing with Schwartz, Watkins and others.

As for Upshaw, he was an important piece of Florida’s class for a few reasons. He filled another position of need for the Gators and had extra value as an early enrollee, which helps his chances of cracking the rotation as a freshman.

Florida must sign some quality defensive ends in this class due to CeCe Jefferson’s potential jump to the NFL and the uncertain futures of suspended players Keivonnis Davis and Jordan Smith.

But with Upshaw off the board, Oregon commit Malcolm Lamar eliminating Florida and Andrew Chatfield trending toward Miami, the Gators may have a tough time meeting their DE needs.
Great now we don't have DT's, DE's or LB's.......We're still DBU though right? :headslap:

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I think we need to wait a few weeks to see what shakes out before we call this class lost. We might even add more talent than we had committed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we need to wait a few weeks to see what shakes out before we call this class lost. We might even add more talent than we had committed.

Who said the class was lost? There's still 16 or so commits, and one or two of the de-commit's will likely re-consider. I'm sure we still get the two Apopka OL's and hopefully pull in some DL's. With 16 commit's we still can add another 9-12 to this class.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
@NickdelaTorreGC:

Sit behind Fromm for 2 years in a pro offense, or start Day 1 at UF in the spread option...

And Corral should be having similar thoughts if he’s considering other schools. I’ll be happy with either of those kids, or both. Both is good.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t know much about his recruiting abilities. But it’s nice to see a coach already calling recruits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator