Red Zone Offense

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ran across this and found it interesting so here it is.

Since Grier's suspension we've ranked no higher than 94th in the Country (were 54th with him) and currently sit at 117th in the Country. However...once i got to digging into why the drives stalled (this year) i found this to be interesting. 83% of our red zone trips have been stalled by either false starts,holding,or illegal formations. This is a Coaching/Discipline problem that we have to get fixed before we get into this stretch run. Without the "drive killers" We would be averaging 10-14 more points per game. If we want any chance to beat UGA/ARK/LSU/FSU the staff has to get this fixed!

On a good note...the offensive line is 7th in the country for sacks allowed.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The easiest way to fix this is simply score before getting into the red zone. We got this!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget there were a few points left of the board for not converting on 4th down. That's happened 2 or 3 times this year.

The poor red-zone play is inexcusable, and while the players are at fault for making the mistakes, the coaches are equally at fault for not preparing these guys to play better. Hopefully things like this will get better the 2nd half of the season, but what we've seen so far doesn't leave much room for hope.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If it ain't fixed by this point, chances are great it won't be fixed. Just find a way to work around.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Ran across this and found it interesting so here it is.

Since Grier's suspension we've ranked no higher than 94th in the Country (were 54th with him) and currently sit at 117th in the Country. However...once i got to digging into why the drives stalled (this year) i found this to be interesting. 83% of our red zone trips have been stalled by either false starts,holding,or illegal formations. This is a Coaching/Discipline problem that we have to get fixed before we get into this stretch run. Without the "drive killers" We would be averaging 10-14 more points per game. If we want any chance to beat UGA/ARK/LSU/FSU the staff has to get this fixed!

On a good note...the offensive line is 7th in the country for sacks allowed.
The key words I took from all of that is "This is a Coaching/Discipline problem." Get rid of the coach hire a real coach problem fixed. Glad we're on the same page about this staff being terrible and way in over their heads.

As the engineer of this train I declare you part of the fire Mac team welcome aboard.

Sep 29, 2015
Thus far, I give this staff a pass on the false start issues - grating as they are. Our QB situation has been a revolving door made worse by QB's who are either young, without talent, and/or experience (or some combination of all 3!). The line has also been young, inexperienced and moved around a lot. That's a recipe for communication problems and false starts.

With a little continuity, I think these issues get cleaned up. If not and they continue to persist, then I'd be quicker to blame the staff.

As for the good numbers on sacks this year, I give credit to LDR and Appleby, and less so the coaches and O-Line. Especially LDR, the QB's know to get rid of the ball and not take a sack. I think LDR has a good mind for the position, the reach of which sometimes unfortunately exceeds the grasp of his throwing ability.

He and the staff ought to study Chad Pennington who had a horrible arm but was a very accurate and effective QB in the NFL for a long time.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Could the center be doing some twitch that causes an OL to jump ? How come we are making
4x these type penalties than our opponents -- even puff teams with really cheap coaches.??
Mac needs to be badgered by the press on this. The players get instant feedback blame with
the flag and number announced by the ref. Perhaps the refs or PA should be allowed to announce
"that's a coaching flaw right there".

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thus far, I give this staff a pass on the false start issues - grating as they are. Our QB situation has been a revolving door made worse by QB's who are either young, without talent, and/or experience (or some combination of all 3!). The line has also been young, inexperienced and moved around a lot. That's a recipe for communication problems and false starts.

Just stop with logic already. Don't you know this is a fanatic site? You're supposed to be unreasonable here.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The key words I took from all of that is "This is a Coaching/Discipline problem." Get rid of the coach hire a real coach problem fixed. Glad we're on the same page about this staff being terrible and way in over their heads.

As the engineer of this train I declare you part of the fire Mac team welcome aboard.
Naw man....I'm not on the "Fire Mac team" so you can scratch that. I am apart of "Hire an Elite O-line/TE coach team" It's not Mac fault he was given a "Vanderbilt budget" to hire assistant coaches with... That's on Foley's cheap ass! I like Mac and believe he'll be successful if he's given the budget/facilities he needs to compete.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Naw man....I'm not on the "Fire Mac team" so you can scratch that. I am apart of "Hire an Elite O-line/TE coach team" It's not Mac fault he was given a "Vanderbilt budget" to hire assistant coaches with... That's on Foley's cheap ass! I like Mac and believe he'll be successful if he's given the budget/facilities he needs to compete.

Yep. He needs to make changes as soon as the season ends. As for DC, I think Collins will be a hbc somewhere.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yep. He needs to make changes as soon as the season ends. As for DC, I think Collins will be a hbc somewhere.

Well, maybe Strong will be available. Not really likely though because a lesser school will want him as HC.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
It should be noted that many in here suggested that Summers be canned when the rest of the trash was put out. It was obvious then and glaringly so now.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
After signing day makes sense. You don't want to lose the guys you have on the hook and no matter how good the new guy is he's not likely to improve the class after the season. I have to believe Summer's is coaching for his job and at the same time I'm hoping the line finally comes together. He's used up all his excuses. The line isn't young and dumb anymore and needs to start playing like a unit. I expect to see improvement in the second half of the season.

As to red zone offense in general and only speaking to this year. Mac has challenged the line with 4th down conversions, even taking points off the board, against lesser opponents and they haven't got the job done. It's a good sign that Mac expects them to convert and they should.
The hurry up at the goal line hasn't gone well either and again it points to Summers not having them prepared. Throw in a couple of fumbles on top of the procedure penalties and there you have it. But it's not Mac/Nuss play calling that bites us in the ass it's been execution. The blame all flows uphill eventually but it starts with Summers.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After signing day makes sense. You don't want to lose the guys you have on the hook and no matter how good the new guy is he's not likely to improve the class after the season. I have to believe Summer's is coaching for his job and at the same time I'm hoping the line finally comes together. He's used up all his excuses. The line isn't young and dumb anymore and needs to start playing like a unit. I expect to see improvement in the second half of the season.

As to red zone offense in general and only speaking to this year. Mac has challenged the line with 4th down conversions, even taking points off the board, against lesser opponents and they haven't got the job done. It's a good sign that Mac expects them to convert and they should.
The hurry up at the goal line hasn't gone well either and again it points to Summers not having them prepared. Throw in a couple of fumbles on top of the procedure penalties and there you have it. But it's not Mac/Nuss play calling that bites us in the ass it's been execution. The blame all flows uphill eventually but it starts with Summers.

One thing that the recruits always point out that they like about Summers is that he's quiet and never gets in your face. They say he's a good "teacher". IMO, when it comes to 300+ lb men, you sometimes have to be in their face to motivate and display your disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator