Referee at college football game injured after being shot by cannon

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is too funny not to talk about...

A college football referee in Castine, Maine, was injured after being shot by a cannon blast over the weekend.

The referee was calling the Maine Maritime Academy football homecoming game where it’s tradition for a member of the athletic department to fire off a cannon after a touchdown with blank shotgun shells. Well, an alumnus of the school brought his own cannon to the game, and he had loaded it with black powder and some sort of substance that had made into an unidentified “wad,” per the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office.

The cannon was fired in the fourth quarter just after a touchdown as the back judge was walking by. He immediately fell to the ground and grabbed his head as referees, coaches and trainers rushed to his aid. He was taken to the local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The investigation findings will be sent to the district attorney’s office. Maine Maritime ended up losing the game to Massachusetts 42-21.

Below is a video of the incident, and as you can see in the right of the screen, when the cannon is fired, the official immediately grabs his head and goes down.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been there... beautiful country...close to Fort Knox and the Penobscot....watch out for the cannons...

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well, makes for one hell of a story. Not too many people can say they have been blasted in the head with a cannon and survived. Then again, not too many people get blasted with cannons anymore.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Well, makes for one hell of a story. Not too many people can say they have been blasted in the head with a cannon and survived. Then again, not too many people get blasted with cannons anymore.

I’d like to have one...

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
When I was at Florida, we (Scabbard and Blade) used to fire off a cannon to commence the National Anthem every home game. Do we still have that tradition?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is why we don't let Squids have guns.

Last edited:

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Been there done that when I was kid I got powder burns from a pirates musket at the Desoto celebration one year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We should do this to Grantham with the guy firing the cannon mumbling something like "choke this you filthy dwag".

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m guessing he was a discharged hooah who isn’t qualified to shoot more than a 9mm. Another “pray and spray” infantry guy.
Actual photo of the cannoneer:

6ccba429997842f68238293b5f574bb1.jpg

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Now come the calls to stop setting off homemade explosive devices at public sporting events. Another one of life's simple pleasures ruined by bad officiating.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Would have hate to see if he'd blown a PI call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.