Replacement candidates for Billy?

SECund2nun

Oct 13, 2018
I know it's unlikely Billy gets fired this season because of his stupid buyout. I think it's more likely that he gets fired next season if he doesn't turn it around. Whose your pick for a replacement coach? My number one choice is Urban Meyer. Whose your choice?
The way we have been burned in recent years I would take a proven commodity as my number one option instead of a young up and coming coach, which is a risk.

Proven coaches list:
Urban Meyer- Unlikely because he said he is done with coaching, but you never know with Urban. Make him say no. His competitive fire will not allow his last coaching job to be the Jax disaster.
Bob Stoops- Maybe the 10th time is the charm? Extremely unlikely.
Chris Petersen- Extremely unlikely
Luke Fickell- He has a low buyout and Wisconsin isn't a great job. Would he leave his native midwest to come to the South East? Maybe there is a chance. He has been really successful.
Matt Rhule- I think he would easily leave Nebraska for us. He is a realistic proven option.

The next tier:
Kalen Deboer- He is the top young up and coming coaches along with Mike Elko. He has won at all 3 of his stops and he has Washington looking very good. He is 16-2 at Washington so far. 95-11 career record.
Mike Elko- I think he is one of the best up and coming coaches. He is really good, but his experience is lacking
Lane Kiffin- Great on offense. He would need to be paired with a great DC.
Mike Stoops- He has done a great job at KY, but the concern is that he might be a SEC east version of Dan Mullen. I think he is better than Mullen, but i am not sure how high his ceiling is.
Deion Sanders- He is very unproven and a risky. Our recruiting would be legendary and he does delegate and allow his staff do their jobs.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Waste of time even discussing this. It ain’t happening this year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I vote for Billy Napier to learn, fix what he can during this season, fix what he can during the off-season, and lead us to the promised land.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fickell is intriguing . I don’t know much about Elko or the guy from Washington. Lane is a hard no. That has Dan 2.0 written all over it.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I can't tell if @jdh5484 is being sarcastic, but I vote likewise. I just think that would be the best thing for the program (if it works). I just don't think it will work. As @Gator98MD stated above, unless year 3 is worse than this year I believe they give him a full 4 years and then we're back to square one.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is the most idiotic thread yet. Even the list of "proven" coaches is a waste, might as well put Saban on there. Geez, some folks are still drinking.

The more appropriate thread should be replacement AD candidates.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can't tell if @jdh5484 is being sarcastic, but I vote likewise. I just think that would be the best thing for the program (if it works). I just don't think it will work. As @Gator98MD stated above, unless year 3 is worse than this year I believe they give him a full 4 years and then we're back to square one.
Of course it would be the best thing for him to succeed. But I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe he can actually coach well enough to be successful in the SEC. The meat of our schedule lies ahead against our 2 biggest rivals who are in the top 5. We’ll be fortunate to make it to 6-6. Next year’s schedule is even tougher. He will not survive with a .500 or less record for his first 3 years.
No fuching way.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I see plenty of brilliant candidates on the many Gator FB groups and even a few here. Why do we always ignore the real experts during coaching searches...........?
So just enjoy getting owned by the mildcats? You’re the bestest fan ever!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All moot until the Starkville Dork is shown the door and Foley is told his presence is no longer welcome in the building.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I vote for Billy Napier to learn, fix what he can during this season, fix what he can during the off-season, and lead us to the promised land.
jdh, I'm one to believe he needs help from outside the program, someone to figuratively slap him in the face with critical thinking, or a boss that sees clearly what needs to be done and demand he do it. That's my opinion because I don't believe he can do it on his own.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I see plenty of brilliant candidates on the many Gator FB groups and even a few here. Why do we always ignore the real experts during coaching searches...........?

You realize everything we complained about with Muschamp, then McElwain, then Mullen have all turned out to be absolutely correct, right? There’s been articles written after the fact detailing those missteps and how they ultimately led to their demise. Everyone here, and practically everywhere, called them well before they came to fruition. And where are all these guys now? Killing it elsewhere, proving us all wrong?

Those same people have been supportive of much of what Napier has done here, yet have said since day one that he needs an OC, QB coach and STs coach. The national media is saying the same thing. Palmer himself(does he have any cred in your eyes?) openly questioned the 2 point try when we lined up for it. At some point, we have to stop with the whole “keyboard coaches” thing. It’s tired and has been proven to be false. And it’s not because we’re just so smart. It’s that the decisions that we’re questioning are just that dumb.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
jdh, I'm one to believe he needs help from outside the program, someone to figuratively slap him in the face with critical thinking, or a boss that sees clearly what needs to be done and demand he do it. That's my opinion because I don't believe he can do it on his own.
At $7m a year you don’t get the luxury of someone figuring sh*t out for you.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just because I dont whine each time we lose and yammer about firing the coach means I like when my team loses. Piling on aint my idea of fandom...............
I’m not piling on. Most on here aren’t either. We just see clearly he’s not getting the job done and looks like he’s the next in what’s becoming a long line of failed coaches.
But you keep being the the bestest fan ever and believing in miracles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator