Ricky Pearsall shocks by sliding into the first round to SF

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Did they though? I think Auggie's point was that total snaps might not be the best metric. Something like percentage of snaps might be better. Not too many teams played 14 games.

For example, we had 2,660 freshman snaps in 12 games which is 222 freshman snaps a game.

Ugly had 2,010 freshman snaps in 14 games which is 144 freshman snaps a game. That's a pretty big difference.

Of course Clemson managed 9 wins with 307 freshman snaps a game albeit in an awful ACC.

These numbers of course don't account for the total number of snaps per game based on pace. Florida and Georgia both ran about 70 plays a game while Clemson ran about 78. I don't know how many plays their defenses averaged.

And don't forget the extra freshman snaps we might have had if we always put 11 guys on the field.
valid points, and percentage is verly likely better but my point was and still is snaps by freshmen are a poor indicator of level of success in a given season. there are good teams that gave plently of freshmen plenty of reps; same can be said for bad teams.

the one characterstics that isnt inconsistent is the teams that had good success with plenty of freshmen playing have good coaches and win consisently. the teams that didnt have success with plently of freshmen, usually dont have success, because they have poor coaching.

its. the. coaching.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Domt forget the extra freshman snaps we might have had if we always put 11 guys on the field.

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
valid points, and percentage is verly likely better but my point was and still is snaps by freshmen are a poor indicator of level of success in a given season. there are good teams that gave plently of freshmen plenty of reps; same can be said for bad teams.

the one characterstics that isnt inconsistent is the teams that had good success with plenty of freshmen playing have good coaches and win consisently. the teams that didnt have success with plently of freshmen, usually dont have success, because they have poor coaching.

its. the. coaching.

It's not that black-and-white.

We had a terrible defense in 2007, partially because they were so young (Haden, Spikes, Dunlap, Major Wright, Ahmad Black, etc.). They became a great defense in 2008 under the same coaching.

Yes, coaching matters but maturity and experience matters too. Michigan and FSU were both full of seasoned veterans last year.

It's not one or the other, both matter.

I don't think our 2024 defense makes the same kind of leap our 2008 defense made, but I do expect our young players to improve AND coaching matters a lot.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Vance Bedford replaced doc Holiday and Dan McCarney replaced Greg mattison
Neither of those were improvements, imo.

Many say that losing Doc was actually the reason discipline got out of hand. He was the "Assistant" Head Coach or similar and was the designated ass chewer and discipline hander outer. Players did not wish to be told "Coach Hollywood wants to see you." Doc was also a very strong recruiter in-state.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not that black-and-white.

We had a terrible defense in 2007, partially because they were so young (Haden, Spikes, Dunlap, Major Wright, Ahmad Black, etc.). They became a great defense in 2008 under the same coaching.

Yes, coaching matters but maturity and experience matters too. Michigan and FSU were both full of seasoned veterans last year.

It's not one or the other, both matter.

I don't think our 2024 defense makes the same kind of leap our 2008 defense made, but I do expect our young players to improve AND coaching matters a lot.

Alex.
Exactly. We had great coaching and great talent in 07, just much inexperience (cause by the gap year between dead man walking for Zook and Meyer's 2nd year/first full class).

We have exactly the opposite now. Below average talent and below average to terrible coaching.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
thats a lot of analysis to essentially come to the conclusion that snaps by freshmen isnt very meaningful as a measuring tool to success - other things like coaching and leadership are far more indicative and predictive of how successful a season will be. As for the georgia comment, good point, i went back and looked at my comment and can see how its misleading. I simply meant they were a top 5 team and played more freshmen than most other teams in the D1 but was unclear. my apologies on that. that said, i still see nothing above that indicates how ive been moving the goal posts or repositioning my statements.
Your first line probably nailed it. I’ll STFU now.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You're now saying the same thing I said. It's a bad measuring stick.
Look who's playing the "yeah but" card now.

:snicker: I
No, you tried to defend the original narrative, being refuted by the graphic, which was that a lot of freshman means a lot of losses by splitting hairs about top teams only showing large numbers of freshmen snaps bc they get up big on opponents and blah blah blah.

My statements and responses have been that good teams played plenty of freshman and snaps too so Napier gets zero pass for having a young team, which ultimately is what you were subtly arguing for. Another excuse for an absolute baffoon of a man posing as an HC. Good coaches can play freshman and win. Bad coaches play seniors and lose. Coaching quality is much more important.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Freshman snaps really don't mean anything unless they are talented and valuable freshman. We don't know if they are yet. Giving snaps to bad freshman doesn't help anything in the short or long term.

If those guys really turn out to be good, then UF could be better than expected.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
No, you tried to defend the original narrative, being refuted by the graphic, which was that a lot of freshman means a lot of losses by splitting hairs about top teams only showing large numbers of freshmen snaps bc they get up big on opponents and blah blah.
Actually, I defended nothing. I simply pointed out that the graphic was, and is, misleading.

Go back and reread my posts. You'll see you are wrong.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Freshman snaps really don't mean anything unless they are talented and valuable freshman. We don't know if they are yet. Giving snaps to bad freshman doesn't help anything in the short or long term.
Bingo

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Pumpers are at puff puff pass at this point. The only explanation for looking at this shiiteshow and imaging something positive about it.
People in a "wait and see" approach on this season for their favorite team shouldn't be mocked and vilified every time they pop their heads up. You need to find a different hobby.

No one is giving Billy a "pass" on two losing seasons.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Neither of those were improvements, imo.
“How many 2008 Florida Gators made the NFL?

The Gators finished the season ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll and the Coaches' Poll. Of the team's 96-player roster, 32 members went on to have stints in the NFL. Bleacher Report has often named the 2008 Florida Gators as one of the greatest college football teams of all time.”

Vance Bedford brought a man to man attack the football when in the air defense to the DBs…Doc Holiday was in love with bend, don’t break play 10 yards off your man. Plus Janoris Jenkins, Haden, Black and Wright were ball hawks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.