RIP Dick Butkus

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Truly a legend. One of the best superbowl pregame shows “I don’t know what Butkus spelled, but it must have meant hurt”

Listening to some of the greats talk years ago about late in his career he was half crippled and still would not quit. Truly a will never back down.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My pops was good friends with 1 of Butkus’ buddies in college. He would tell my pops how him and Dick got in trouble all through college. My dad was like, “ what did Dick end up doing with his life?” Too damn funny when he told my pops “not much, just became the greatest MLB in the NFL and a Hall of Famer, you might remember him from beer commercials too!” My pops almost fell over dying laughing, he said I never put it together that Dick, was Dick Butkus!
So he was a Butkus buddy in college?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Certain guys play with an amazing motor. Brantley was one of them. He was born to hit people.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was huge for a MLB in his era, 6’3”, 245, fast and played with extraordinary intensity. I’m 62, just old enough that he was still playing when I started watching football as a kid. He was to defense what Jim Brown was to offense. Freakishly great.

God bless and keep him.

He played in the big-pads era, which made him look all the meaner. His knees were shot by '73. He ended up suing the Bears for not recommending he have surgery. He settled out of court with George Halas. They didn't speak to each other for five years.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody, nobody filled a hole like Butkus!

Speaking from what I've been told.......

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP sir.

You were on one of 2 posters I had thumbtacked to the wall in my room growing up.

You and Johnny Unitas.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
RIP sir.

You were on one of 2 posters I had thumbtacked to the wall in my room growing up.

You and Johnny Unitas.

I’m trying to shoehorn the Steelers in here somehow (Lambert maybe…)
Ah, I know…
Unitas was drafted by the Steelers and then traded to the Colts. Wtf…

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m trying to shoehorn the Steelers in here somehow (Lambert maybe…)
Ah, I know…
Unitas was drafted by the Steelers and then traded to the Colts. Wtf…

Or the Bears traded for the Steelers' top pick in '65 to draft Butkus. The Steelers got the Bears' second round and fourth rounds picks the previous season and took Jim Kelly (not that one) and Ben McGee. Ouch.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Butkus was the best of the best in an era gone by. He was the most vicious player to ever step on the field.

You watch his highlights today and you need a calculator to count the number of plays he made that would get him thrown out of the game if not the league today.

Like nearly every kid in the sixties and early seventies, I thought he was the greatest linebacker of all time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Butkus called this wacky PAT the favorite play of his career. He never touched an opposing player.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
His knees were shot by '73. He ended up suing the Bears for not recommending he have surgery. He settled out of court with George Halas. They didn't speak to each other for five years.
Maybe Gale Sayers should have joined the suit. Talk about one of the best RB's done in too soon due to knee problems. Ironic they were drafted at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.