RIP Don Gullett

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A big part of the Big Red Machine of the 1970's. Though the 8 players in the field garnered almost all the attention, Gullett was one tough lefty. Man I am old!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was the Red Machine’s ace in the 75 world series vs Louie Tiant and the Red Soc. A series that featured Morgan, Rose, Bench, Griffey and Concepcion against Yaz, Fisk, Rice, Evans, and rookie Freddy Lynn. That was an epic series!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A big part of the Big Red Machine of the 1970's. Though the 8 players in the field garnered almost all the attention, Gullett was one tough lefty. Man I am old!
BRM is almost a painful memory for me now, mostly because of decades of incompetence in the Reds front office making it clear the Reds will never be a champion again. It was them signing or trading for (I forget) Deion Sanders that finally made me stop watching them altogether.

Im sure most cant even comprehend the Yankees and Reds being the two elite teams dominating for a decade.

Gullett was mostly hurt for as early as I remember. Unfortunately he was just a few years too early for a surgery later developed and first used on a Dodger named Tommy John.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was the Red Machine’s ace in the 75 world series vs Louie Tiant and the Red Soc. A series that featured Morgan, Rose, Bench, Griffey and Concepcion against Yaz, Fisk, Rice, Evans, and rookie Freddy Lynn. That was an epic series!
The Reds lineup lives forever in my head.

Rose
Griffey
Morgan** sometimes second/ flopped w Griff
Bench
Perez
Foster (sometimes 4th when he was hot or Bench dinged up)
Concepcion
Geronimo (under rated, great glove and FAST)

75 Red Sox had one of the greatest outfields ever.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was in a bar on University watching the '75 World Series thriller with Fisk waving the home run fair. I remember it as a great Series.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was in a bar on University watching the '75 World Series thriller with Fisk waving the home run fair. I remember it as a great Series.
I was 9 years old and was allowed to stay up late each night to watch the series. As lifelong Red Sox fans, my dad and I shared a moment that will never be forgotten.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Bernie Carbo hit the most forgotten clutch home run of all time, a 3 run shot to tie it in the 8th and set up Fisk's immortal heroics. The saying around Boston after that series was the Red Sox won it 3 games to 4. Seems I recall game 7 was the one with the Ed Armbrister interference controversy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He may have been their ace that season, but he did not have a great WS. As for Jim Rice, he was injured and missed the series. (He was a rookie that year too, btw.) It's hard to say what the impact of Rice's absence was as there was no DH allowed in that series and Rice split left field duties with Yaz that season when he wasn't the DH. Yaz had a pretty decent WS, hitting over .300 with no errors in the field.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bernie Carbo hit the most forgotten clutch home run of all time, a 3 run shot to tie it in the 8th and set up Fisk's immortal heroics. The saying around Boston after that series was the Red Sox won it 3 games to 4. Seems I recall game 7 was the one with the Ed Armbrister interference controversy.
The "Armbrister incident" was in Game 3. You all be the judge: Interference or not?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn’t he pinch hitting as well?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I believe in Game 6, George Foster, who was not a good defensive player, threw out a runner at home plate late in the game who tagged up on a short-ish fly ball to LF. In fact I somehow think that fly ball was in foul territory. That extended the game thus setting up the Fisk HR. But in the end the Good Guys took the series.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I believe in Game 6, George Foster, who was not a good defensive player, threw out a runner at home plate late in the game who tagged up on a short-ish fly ball to LF. In fact I somehow think that fly ball was in foul territory. That extended the game thus setting up the Fisk HR. But in the end the Good Guys took the series.
That was Denny Doyle.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
R.I.P. Don Gullett. :( I went to a few Reds games in the mid 70s. I was 10-14 yrs old. What a team. Gullett and another player would come to my classmate's home and pheasant hunt on their land. He was Grand Marshal of the Christmas parade in my hometown once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator