RIP Larry Libertore

LagoonGator68

mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
https://www.theledger.com/news/20171225/political-leader-developer-gator-qb-libertore-dies-at-78

Gator Nation lost a great one yesterday.

RIP Larry! Thoughts and prayers to the family.

"At the University of Florida, Libertore was a Sigma Nu fraternity member.[5] On coach Ray Graves Florida Gators football team, Libertore was an option quarterback and defensive back. Libertore was a small player at just 138 pounds.[6] As Libertore once recalled, "They always had trouble getting equipment to fit me."[7] But he was fast. Libertore's 786 rushing yards remained the most by a Gators quarterback until eclipsed by Tim Tebow in 2007."

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Larry Libertore with a little help from Bobby Dodd Jr beats the mighty Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets coached by Bobby Dodd, I believe the score was 18-17. People around my hometown talked about that game for years.

cover2

I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Prayers for his family. A Gator great. Had the opportunity to work as a page while he was a state representative and got to meet him. Very nice person.

Since65

Larry was from Lakeland and after his Gator career (around the mid-60s) he played some semi-pro ball with a team called the Lakeland Brahmans. They played on Saturday nights at Bryant Stadium where Lakeland High still plays their home games. I remember my Dad taking me to see them play. Even as a little kid I could tell he was a lot smaller than all the other players.

The Brahmans also had a QB named John Stofa who was good enough as a weekend player to hook on with the Miami Dolphins and the Bengals for a five year career.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Larry was from Lakeland and after his Gator career (around the mid-60s) he played some semi-pro ball with a team called the Lakeland Brahmans. They played on Saturday nights at Bryant Stadium where Lakeland High still plays their home games. I remember my Dad taking me to see them play. Even as a little kid I could tell he was a lot smaller than all the other players.

The Brahmans also had a QB named John Stofa who was good enough as a weekend player to hook on with the Miami Dolphins and the Bengals for a five year career.

I’m a Lakeland native too. I didn’t ever see him play any sports but knew him as a local politician then when I moved back and worked there for about 12 years. God bless and keep him.

lizardbreath

I remember listening to bits and pieces of the games of that era with my Dad and Grand Dad. I distinctly recall how excited they were when the Gators knocked off a great Ga Tech squad. The name Larry Libatore was spoken with great respect in our home. Both gentlemen loved the Gators to their dying day. I expect to do the same. Rest in peace and my sincere condolences to the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.