RIP Roger Whittaker

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Missed this last week... was forced to listen to his 8 track at the dinner table as a kid... ended up liking him. Seems to be a common theme today.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I hate the man died but I am so glad I don't like that music.
Well, let me paint the picture: starting as a kid, you are forced to sit with your fellow “captives” (i .e., family) every night and your “captor” (i.e., dad) forces you to listen to Roger Whittaker’s Greatest Hits while eating… every night. At the time, it’s an enhanced interogation technique/mind fuk that nearly drives you insane, but as the years go by, you end up with Stockholm syndrome (i.e., nostalgia) and actually like a bunch of the songs.

Make sense now?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My mom loved his music. I was raised on a lot of folk music. Even though he wasn't one of my favorites, I did enjoy his music. RIP.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
My mom loved his music. I was raised on a lot of folk music. Even though he wasn't one of my favorites, I did enjoy his music. RIP.
My mother loved his music also- I was forced to listen to him on our trips down to the Chesapeake Bay where we docked our boat. Can't believe he hasn't been dead for 20 years.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
My mother loved his music also- I was forced to listen to him on our trips down to the Chesapeake Bay where we docked our boat. Can't believe he hasn't been dead for 20 years.

Speaking of dead - thanks a lot for the beat down in FF this week.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The Last Farewell is the only song I really enjoyed. I think his "folk" style was called saccharine in the music world. Too sweet with a bad aftertaste. But he did have a mellow voice.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All I remember are the late night infomercials for his greatest hits touting facts like he’s outsold Elvis and the Beatles combined or something insane like that.

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
How do you guys not like "folk music"??

iu

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, let me paint the picture: starting as a kid, you are forced to sit with your fellow “captives” (i .e., family) every night and your “captor” (i.e., dad) forces you to listen to Roger Whittaker’s Greatest Hits while eating… every night. At the time, it’s an enhanced interogation technique/mind fuk that nearly drives you insane, but as the years go by, you end up with Stockholm syndrome (i.e., nostalgia) and actually like a bunch of the songs.

Make sense now?
Impressed, you spelled most of the big words correctly.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
He definitely had a very distinctive & unique voice. Yeah it is rather soothing, but not what I would listen to by choice.

I can think of a lot worse though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator