RIP Sports Illustrated

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman. Curry Kirkpatrick. Frank Deford. Back in my sports writing days a gazillion years ago, these names and Sports Illustrated represented the absolute pinnacle. Who's on the cover this week? Can he overcome the SI jinx? You couldn't wait for the next edition. Sports Illustrated helped legitimize a whole lot of things that graced its pages, including a guy who didn't even exist, Sidd Finch.
You said exactly what I was thinking. I loved getting it each week and read it ALL. Its like we are discussing the demise of an old friend we loved and admired so much.

Last edited:

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
I had to dump a girl because she had more issues than Sports Illustrated. But that's the only time I've ever given them a thought.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
One of the best articles I remember reading from SI was "The Toughest Coach There Ever Was" by Frank Deford. It was about Bull Sullivan the head football coach at East Mississippi Junior College in Scooba in the 1950s and '60s.
Ok that triggered a memory. SI wrote a story about Pistol Pete Maravich when he a literal scoring machine. Whoever wrote it captured what magic he performed. They recounted the Georgia game I think when he was a JR. He had over 50 near the end and then began dribbling. It was in Athens. They said as the clock neared zero the entire Ga team was after him with blood in there eyes. The could not stop him with his amazing ball handling They said right before the buzzer he threw up a 40ft hook shot that went in. The stands went crazy. I saw him play in Gville. He had 50. The last play he came down and you knew it would be amazing. Well, the fknnn ball disappeared some how and his team mate had it to score a layup.WE Never figured out what he did.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was Kirkpatrick who wrote the Pistol piece.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't looked at a SI in 10/15 years...... to say "I care" would be a lie.

Go Woke, go Broke!!!! Has a nice ring to it.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Putting Rick Reilly on the back page was the beginning of the end. Always finding something to whine or virtue signal about. By the time he left SI to take his schlock to ESPN, woke sports journalism was alive and kicking, long before woke was even a thing. Still remember the one he wrote making fun of the '72 Dolphins for the pride they took in going 17-0. The only thing missing was the "OK Boomer" he couldn't put in it because his act was so ahead of its time and he was ostensibly one himself. Enjoying that sideline now, you sanctimonious prick?

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
If I wanna see fat chicks or trannies in a 2 piece, I would go down to Myrtle Beach. Who in the hell saw that and thought "this is a good idea for a swim suit issue!!"

They have pissed off their customer base. Same as Bud Light.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Putting Rick Reilly on the back page was the beginning of the end. Always finding something to whine or virtue signal about. By the time he left SI to take his schlock to ESPN, woke sports journalism was alive and kicking, long before woke was even a thing. Still remember the one he wrote making fun of the '72 Dolphins for the pride they took in going 17-0. The only thing missing was the "OK Boomer" he couldn't put in it because his act was so ahead of its time and he was ostensibly one himself. Enjoying that sideline now, you sanctimonious prick?
Did you read the article?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you actually read the article?
Is reading the Article a requirement before we can make a senseless statement?

That would violate our Terms of Service......

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Not my fave but my guess is Emmitt had the most covers of any Gator at 12
IMG_0944.jpeg IMG_0945.jpeg

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "go woke go broke," but here is personal story about why I don't like Sports Illustrated ;the origin of the SI Jinx.

I've been a Cleveland Indians fan (they will ALWAYS be the Indians) all my life. My family moved from Ohio to Titusville in 1985, my freshman year in highschool. My 2 best friends in h.s. were Cubs and Braves fans...these were days before Greg Maddox or Sammy Sosa...all three teams were terrible and had been for a long time. In 1986, the Tribe went 84-78. Attached was the SI cover before the '87 season. SI called Cleveland the best team in the AL and picked them to win the World Series, their first since 1920....Well, the Tribe start 1-10 and never recovered. Pat Corrales got fired before the All-Star break and they ended 61-101, at the time, only the 4th team to lose 100+ games.

After the season, I canceled my subscription, threw my copy of that issue on my grill and burnt it up. I collected all the ash and put it in a mayonnaise jar. My plans were to go to Cleveland Stadium some day and pour those ashes over home plate. Never got a chance to that and still have that jar in a box in my attic somewhere...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-115034.png
    Screenshot_20240121-115034.png
    2 MB · Views: 5

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Indians were only a few seasons from getting real good.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
The Indians are as dead as the San Francisco Seals. Woke name changes are a betrayal of fans. It's like expecting a kid to forget his real mom when dad gets married again.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Guardians is about a stupid of a name you can get. They will always be the Indians to me. It all started with the trade of Rocky Colavito to the Tigers for Harvey Kuenn. The curse of Rocky Colavito yes sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator