Recruiting Rivals: Post NSD Evaluation

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
A couple of our linebackers may become strong safeties. I don't necessarily mean from this class. Just in general. We really screwed up by missing on linebackers in last year's class.

I agree with you on the grade on defense. We needed to close on an elite linebacker. We did not. No way you can grade the defense as an A. But as we know games are won in the SEC on the lines of scrimmage. And they did a spectacular job on the D line. I don't think we've ever had a class with this much size at DT.

If we end up getting Lingard next year (fingers crossed), we may end up having the best stable of running backs we've ever had at UF. Potentially. The two best of course being with John L Williams in the 80s and Fred Taylor in the 90s. But the potential is there.

Uh - I think there was this other guy named Emmitt who played at UF in between those other 2 guys who I remember as being pretty good. Also a guy named Rhett that I think broke some records in that time frame as well.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not that I give a crap about Scout's rankings…

But if anybody follows recruiting they know that FSU has been annihilating us in the Tampa area for the last four years.

I don't even think we pulled a recruit from Hillsborough County last year.

So it was nice to see this:

That's great. We need to get back in Jacksonville - signed ZERO this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Uh - I think there was this other guy named Emmitt who played at UF in between those other 2 guys who I remember as being pretty good. Also a guy named Rhett that I think broke some records in that time frame as well.

Yep, and Neil Anderson was probably a better TB than JLW (JL was more a FB in that system), along w/ Lorenzo Hampton. THAT was a hell of a backfield.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Emmitt's the best we ever had. I said stable of running backs. Not best running back ever. Number one will still be JL Williams and Neil Anderson. Number two is Williams and Taylor. If we get Linguard, the potential is there.

Best running backs ever are probably Smith, then Anderson, then Rhett, then JL Williams, then Taylor. Although you can probably shift around those final three. Hell, technically Percy was a TB in our offense.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff. I'm just glad we've finally gotten some big WR targets, including TE Gamble, for whoever is slinging it to them. Thankful an actual passing game at Florida is not a thing of the past.

Last edited:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Emmitt's the best we ever had. I said stable running backs. Not best running back ever.

Fair enough - sorry I misunderstood you. So to that point, I agree with your assessment in general but I would also add in some classes from the 70's that also produced some good RB groups which included Jimmy Debose, Tony Green and Nat Moore. As you alluded to, the Fred Taylor, Elijah Williams Terry Jackson days were also pretty good too. But 1982 had to be the very best we've ever been from top to bottom at one time because that year we also had James Jones in the same backfield with Lorenzo Hampton, John L Williams, and Neal Anderson! I was a sophomore that year and remember vividly the one handed TD grab made by Jones in the closing minutes to beat the hated Canes in Gville. That was truly awesome! :)

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Emmitt's the best we ever had. I said stable of running backs. Not best running back ever. Number one will still be JL Williams and Neil Anderson. Number two is Williams and Taylor. If we get Linguard, the potential is there.

Best running backs ever are probably Smith, then Anderson, then Rhett, then JL Williams, then Taylor. Although you can probably shift around those final three. Hell, technically Percy was a TB in our offense.

As per my earlier reply, I don't think you can leave out James Jones from the greatest Gators list though admittedly he was always more of a traditional fullback. I agree that Percy should really be added to this list too, as should Tebow really, since they both made plays as much as a RB as they did playing their stated positions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough - sorry I misunderstood you. So to that point, I agree with your assessment in general but I would also add in some classes from the 70's that also produced some good RB groups which included Jimmy Debose, Tony Green and Nat Moore. As you alluded to, the Fred Taylor, Elijah Williams Terry Jackson days were also pretty good too. But 1982 had to be the very best we've ever been from top to bottom at one time because that year we also had James Jones in the same backfield with Lorenzo Hampton, John L Williams, and Neal Anderson! I was a sophomore that year and remember vividly the one handed TD grab made by Jones in the closing minutes to beat the hated Canes in Gville. That was truly awesome! :)

I was in elementary school when that great backfield was here in the early 80s. So I have flashes of memories. But I did watch those bears teams and I knew how great Anderson was. Smith played when I was in high school.

I don't know much about the 70s teams.

My kids are nine and 11. They've never experienced Gator dominance. Sadly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My kids are nine and 11. They've never experienced Gator dominance. Sadly.
Recruits today were six or seven when we used to win championships.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff. I'm just glad we've finally gotten some big WR targets, including TE Gamble, for whoever is slinging it to them. Thankful an actual passing game at Florida is not a thing of the past.

I think the bolded in your first sentence calls into question your second sentence.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think the bolded in your first sentence calls into question your second sentence.

I understand the skepticism. These guys aren't coming just to block. I like to believe we'll get it done.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I really think Robinson is going to be a real impact player eventually.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
As per my earlier reply, I don't think you can leave out James Jones from the greatest Gators list though admittedly he was always more of a traditional fullback. I agree that Percy should really be added to this list too, as should Tebow really, since they both made plays as much as a RB as they did playing their stated positions.
James Jones baby! One handed catch to beat Miami! Was fcking awesome!
57c4e54293cfdd56f7879e0334c9f0e5.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=F...=onepage&q=james jones catch vs miami&f=false

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.