Robin Williams' coroner report - severe Lewy Body Dementia

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I look forward to watching this documentary. It hits close to home as my mom had it and was diagnosed about a year before RW died. The Dr's at Mayo had no idea what was wrong. After it progressed for a few years and enough google searches later I talked to the neurologist about LBD and she agreed. You can only formally diagnose it through an autopsy though. I'll reserve comments about how terrible it is but I understand and sympathize with why he committed suicide. All dementias are bad but this one is worse.

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I look forward to watching this documentary. It hits close to home as my mom had it and was diagnosed about a year before RW died. The Dr's at Mayo had no idea what was wrong. After it progressed for a few years and enough google searches later I talked to the neurologist about LBD and she agreed. You can only formally diagnose it through an autopsy though. I'll reserve comments about how terrible it is but I understand and sympathize with why he committed suicide. All dementias are bad but this one is worse.
Sorry about your mom. Would you say she was someone who thought outside of the box or marched to the beat of a different drum? I can't help but wonder, with Williams and Turner as examples, if people with creative and quirky personalities are more likely to get this disease, as if their gift ultimately becomes their curse.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Sorry about your mom. Would you say she was someone who thought outside of the box or marched to the beat of a different drum? I can't help but wonder, with Williams and Turner as examples, if people with creative and quirky personalities are more likely to get this disease, as if their gift ultimately becomes their curse.

Thank you. She had her quirks but she was fairly mainstream.(who doesn’t have quirks?) We’ve always wondered in hindsight how many of those quirks 30 years earlier were because of LBD but will never know. Since LBD can’t be diagnosed until an autopsy I think it’s more common than suspected. It gets classified as Parkinson’s with dementia or Alzheimer’s but it’s has more oddities than those. I’m no expert but did care for mom for 5 years and did a lot of research.

one quote that stuck with me was “If you’ve seen one case of LBD then you’ve seen one case.” People seem to start with strange symptoms but they aren’t all the same.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Interesting, never heard of that disease before. And according to the article Ted Turner has it too. I was wondering why he hasn't been heard from in awhile, guess that explains it. That's sad. Never liked Ted Turner's politics but admire him anyway. Great American businessman.

Casey Kasem died from it as well.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does it cause you to commit suicide? Full disclosure, haven’t read article. Seems like a reach for an excuse to commit suicide. Just outside looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.